ISSF e-target certification process?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

IPshooter

ISSF e-target certification process?

Post by IPshooter »

Can anyone describe how the ISSF goes about certifying the accuracy of an electronic target? I had someone ask me about this the other day, and I can't recall anyone describing what they actually do.

TIA

Stan
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Not sure if it helps but the process gives approval at 3 levels:-

Phase I: Test for accuracy, specification and build standard test only
Phase II: Test under competition conditions and approved for some ISSF Competitions/Championships
Phase III: Test under Major Competition Compatibility with ISSF Result Service and approved for all ISSF Competitions/Championships

The accuracy test is quite simple, and repeated on the targets being used before any major match. You simply attach a witness sheet to the back of the target, fire a number of shots, and then plot the shot holes to make sure the holes match the coordinates given by the electronics.

Sius have a program to give a print of the electronic "holes". Just lay the shot witness sheet on top of that and, providing they all line up, you're good to go.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

David left out the 'interesting' bit.
Each target being tested has five shots fired on it (preferably high, low. left, right and centre).
On the EST range in Sydney that is 70 x 50m, 70 x 10m and 55 x 25m targets times 5 shots = 975 shots: the arms get tired...
none

issf link to testing process

Post by none »

Try this search to see the manual for the different Phases and what is involved

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 8261,d.ZWU

I think it is a lot more than 5 shots.
The 5 shots is for testing the accuracy of a target prior to a comp, not for certification
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

I was adding to David's comment about the accuracy testing "before any major match".
RossM

Post by RossM »

In MArch 2013 the ISSF asked for people who were interested to email the ISSF if they wanted info re the testing of electronic target. My Schreiber replied with the two attached files.

Basically they are tested using 3 (edited - I said 4 originally) photogrametric cameras capable of resolution and accuracy better than the electronic targets can achieve.
Attachments
Technical Note (3).pdf
(24.49 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
EST Manual V7 (3).pdf
(148.66 KiB) Downloaded 120 times