Russian "Sniper" .22LR ammo

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

PaulB

Russian "Sniper" .22LR ammo

Post by PaulB »

Does anyone know anything about Russian .22 ammo called "Sniper"? The full wood packaged crate that I have was purchased 20-30 years ago. I believe the case contains two large "sardine" cans of 2,800 rounds each. I think that it may have been 2nd or 3rd level stuff, with the best being "Olymp" and next being "Temp". I hope it is not steel cased ammo. Any info would be appreciated.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Put it on Craigslist at a ridiculously high price. Call it "Sniper Ammo."

Let someone else worry about it.
dronning

Post by dronning »

Rover wrote:Put it on Craigslist at a ridiculously high price. Call it "Sniper Ammo."

Let someone else worry about it.
Put it on Gunbroker - no kidding! I have seen 22lr ammo go for 5X normal price. Something in sardine cans may attract prep'ers and such. You may get enough for a case of Tenex!
conradin

Post by conradin »

You guys are funny.
ruig

Post by ruig »

Our coach gave us "Sniper", "Temp" and "Ekstra" only for competitions.

"Tselevie" was our trainings ammo.

I suppose - export variant looks different.

Orange box - "Ekstra"
Pink box - "Sniper"
Green box - "Temp"
Blue/Red box - "Tselevie"
WRC

Post by WRC »

Used to shoot Sniper, sure remember those wooden crates - I'm sure it was NOT in the sardine can, but "paper" (plastic-y papery stuff) bricks. Definitely brass cased. Shot well. Olymp was in the sardine cans, maybe not Temp.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I have some and it shoots great at 50ft for training. I know it shoots good in a rifle or free pistol. My Pardini does not like it.

As I remember the best was Record (I think it was spelled differently), then Olymp R, Temp, Sniper, Junior. I have some of the last 4. I do not ever remembering any Record making it into the US. I also seem to remember Record having the dimple in the bottom.
Ammuskelija

Post by Ammuskelija »

First of all, I´m new user from Finland, and found forum yesterday. Found some interesting conversations, cause i´m shooting 25 meter pistol and 50m rifle competitions.

I have few different kind of old russian ammo, including "sniper". There was picture of it in pages, so i will not put it again.

In my pic there is few russian boxes, and left of them, under the winchester´s are two quite rare packs. Upper is basic "Vostok Target", but when russian competiors went to compete outboards, cartridges were packed to this plastic case. Dont know others name, but in Finland we called it "black ruskie". Ammo was completely black, including the case. If somebody wants i can take picture of them. Didnt found any from computer.

I got my "sniper" ammo from few Latvian shooters who came to shoot competition to my hometown. They didnt have any finnish money, but they had a lots of ammo with them, and so they try to sell it to us to gather some finnish money.

Our own Lapua´s ammo was much better, but we all buy few or more boxes because of sportmanship, and to get some money to our Latvian friends :) This was sometimes early 90:s
Attachments
00.jpg
Walther GSP Expert .22LR, .32SW Long WC, Hämmerli 280 .22LR, .32SW Long WC
Toz-35 .22LR
Walther OSP .22short
Hi-standard Olympic .22short
Walther LP10
Morini CM162MI
Leijona M.55 .22LR Customized
Anschutz M64 .22LR
conradin

Post by conradin »

My misses would LOVE to have the all black ammo for jewelry making. We bought Eley Edge for no other reason other than for her to make jewelry.
conradin

Post by conradin »

DO you have the legendary Olymp-R?
Ammuskelija

Post by Ammuskelija »

Yes i do. I have to open all the boxes where i´ve put my older .22:s

I take some pics of them. There is some very old ammo, i have no idea how old they are. Maybe somebody in forum can help me.
Walther GSP Expert .22LR, .32SW Long WC, Hämmerli 280 .22LR, .32SW Long WC
Toz-35 .22LR
Walther OSP .22short
Hi-standard Olympic .22short
Walther LP10
Morini CM162MI
Leijona M.55 .22LR Customized
Anschutz M64 .22LR
Chris

Post by Chris »

I did some ransom rest testing a few days ago with my Toz35m and for the first time tested the Olimp-R I have and got a 10 shot group of 0.957" or 24.3mm. I also tested some Eley 10x EPS which had a better group at 0.556' or 14.12mm. I was happy to see my Toz producing much better groups than the last time I tested.

I was also disappointed in the Olimp-R performance. I had expected it to group closer to the 10x.

New time I get out there I will have to try the other Russan ammo I have.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Another question about Russian .22LR. I have some of all four kinds that I know of: Olymp-R, Temp, Sniper and Junior. A good friend of mine with international level officiating, coaching and gunsmithing experience tells me that this stuff is hard on barrels and he could not recommend shooting it in any high dollar target rifle. Can anyone corroborate this conclusion?
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

I was told that some of the sardine ammo cans were filled with nitrogen to protect it from oxidation. I thought that was a neat idea. I actually never got a hold of it, so I have to trust the source. If anybody knows better please tell me.
Chris
conradin

Post by conradin »

Can I have a few boxes of Olymp-R? I am really curious about them.
rmca

Post by rmca »

PaulB wrote:Another question about Russian .22LR. I have some of all four kinds that I know of: Olymp-R, Temp, Sniper and Junior. A good friend of mine with international level officiating, coaching and gunsmithing experience tells me that this stuff is hard on barrels and he could not recommend shooting it in any high dollar target rifle. Can anyone corroborate this conclusion?
Some old Russian ammo was made with corrosive powders/primers. An example that I know of is the 8x57IS that they made for the war captured German K98. If not cleaned after firing, those residues will pit and corrode your barrel and rifling.

I would clean the barrel and receiver pretty well after using any old cartridge. No matter who made it or how expensive it was...

Hope this helps
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

Not that many years ago many of us shot Russian Junior and it was 80 something a case for 6000 rounds. We also tried some Temp and something called match something if I remember correctly that cost a lot more than the Junior or Temp. A lot of us tested all of them against current products commonly sold in the U.S. and the more expensive Russian stuff was no better and in some cases worse. The Junior was very reliable in the right gun and was low recoil and the accuracy depending which gun it was shot in was just fine. All of this was in Bullseye guns that had to shoot well at 50 yards. I would certainly buy some again if it were available. After the Junior was no longer available some Russian stuff called Surok in a green box showed up and we expected it to be like the Junior but it turned out to be pure junk and it disappeared as fast as it came on the scene.
kameljock

Post by kameljock »

Here is a pic of the Ruskie ammo I have..No I don't want to sell it. We started shooting this shortly after the wall fell. Bob Jensen was importing. We used the Junior for indoor and practice. The pistol temp shot very well, at least lot 37.

As for the Olimp-R it was outstanding at 100.

Temp came in 2 variations, pistol and rifle. The rifle temp originally was called sniper and was in the red box. Politics forced it to be renamed temp.
Attachments
DSC_0009 (2).JPG
be in the moment
conradin

Post by conradin »

I really would love to have Olymp-R just to say I have tried it.