Groupings

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

darticus

Groupings

Post by darticus »

Here are some grouping from 3 different guns, hand held on a rest 5 shots each. all were shot at 6 o'clock on target. these all were .22 caliber. What do these indicate? Thanks Ron
Attachments
20140415_3.JPG
20140415_1.JPG
20140415_1.JPG (41.26 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
20140415_2.JPG
20140415_4.JPG
Last edited by darticus on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:05 am, edited 8 times in total.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

You need to move the sights?
trulyapostolic

Post by trulyapostolic »

What distance?
darticus

Post by darticus »

Shooting from 10 meters. I don't think I want to change sites because for a greater distance I think it will change. What the norm for .22 distance 25 YARDS?. Thanks Ron
izzyjim

Post by izzyjim »

Distance for " three gun bullseye " is 50 yards slow fire, and 25 yard timed & rapid fire.

Your targets don't tell me much, except I think the second from the top seems to have the best grouping (no flyers). but that could be due to better technique , better gun, better ammo. It's hard to say.

I do think you will get better intel, by shooting at a longer distance though.
At least 25 yds., or even better, 50 yds.

The problem is that top notch target pistols with top notch ammo, are capable of shooting one inch groups at 50 yards (from a Ransom rest).
So, anytime you are NOT getting that kind of accuracy, it is pretty tough to tell you why from here.
darticus

Post by darticus »

Just shot a few off to see whats what. The top target was a High Standard Supermatic, second target High Standard "The Victor" and 3rd and 4 target S&W 41. Would like to try at 25 yards but don't have the space here. Thanks Ron
izzyjim wrote:Distance for " three gun bullseye " is 50 yards slow fire, and 25 yard timed & rapid fire.

Your targets don't tell me much, except I think the second from the top seems to have the best grouping (no flyers). but that could be due to better technique , better gun, better ammo. It's hard to say.

I do think you will get better intel, by shooting at a longer distance though.
At least 25 yds., or even better, 50 yds.

The problem is that top notch target pistols with top notch ammo, are capable of shooting one inch groups at 50 yards (from a Ransom rest).
So, anytime you are NOT getting that kind of accuracy, it is pretty tough to tell you why from here.
lakesidemn

Post by lakesidemn »

I have a S&W 41, among a few others, but it is interesting how targets 3 & 4 are so different. It almost looks like you had a different point of aim for each target. I would do them again. Once you get to the 25yd range, you should get a sub-1" groups at 25yds with the 41 and it will hold the X-ring at 50yds.
darticus

Post by darticus »

I think the third target is upside down. Still doesn't explain but better. Will try and spin to correct. Ron
lakesidemn wrote:I have a S&W 41, among a few others, but it is interesting how targets 3 & 4 are so different. It almost looks like you had a different point of aim for each target. I would do them again. Once you get to the 25yd range, you should get a sub-1" groups at 25yds with the 41 and it will hold the X-ring at 50yds.
Attachments
20140416_2.JPG
Last edited by darticus on Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
izzyjim

Post by izzyjim »

Small world. My first real target gun was a model 41. Then I found a nice Hi. Std. Trophy w/7" barrel. I put an ultra dot scope on it, and used it for some years. It was more accurate & reliable than the 41.

Then I found a late model (1980's) HI. Std. Victor. didn't like it , sold it.

Then the gem. A pristine Victor, in the box with 2 mags. It was more accurate then the Trophy, or the 41, and very pretty.
I never could bring myself to have it drilled for scope mounts, so it still sits in the box. Shot occasionally, but not in competition because it has no scope, and my eyes are too poor for open sights at 25/50 yds.

Recently I got a HS Field king. The cheapest model HS. made in those days. I don't know why, but it is the most accurate of the .22's I own.

The Field king will sit in the safe, except for being oiled, or handled, because my Dad bought it when it was new, and I still remember watching him shoot it.
lakesidemn

Post by lakesidemn »

darticus wrote:I think the third target is upside down. Still doesn't explain but better. Will try and spin to correct. Ron
lakesidemn wrote:I have a S&W 41, among a few others, but it is interesting how targets 3 & 4 are so different. It almost looks like you had a different point of aim for each target. I would do them again. Once you get to the 25yd range, you should get a sub-1" groups at 25yds with the 41 and it will hold the X-ring at 50yds.

That makes sense, so at least the groups are in the right place. Nice looking 41. I have similar grips from Nill.

Your groups are tight, so it is just a matter of sight adjustment. When getting ready for bullseye though, remember to adjust your sights with free hand shooting and not from a bag. Group location off a bag will not be the same location as one-handed bullseye shooting. I watched a bullseye video from a HM shooter and he stressed free hand testing, which makes sense now that I tried it - "call the shot"!
Rover

Post by Rover »

As far as sight adjustment goes, I (and some of the better shooters I play with) will pull the stacked targets off the face at the end of a match so we can see the group placement of 90 shots. We then make any necessary adjustments and are ready for the next match.

This technique is much more fool-proof than trying to chase your shots during a match. Of course, if there is a gross error make an immediate change.
darticus

Post by darticus »

Thanks for the input. I wonder is it good to set sites to a close setup like 10 meters? Would it be better to set for longer distance. Thanks Ron
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Rover wrote:As far as sight adjustment goes, I (and some of the better shooters I play with) will pull the stacked targets off the face at the end of a match so we can see the group placement of 90 shots. We then make any necessary adjustments and are ready for the next match.
Good one, Rover!
DLS

Post by DLS »

darticus wrote:Thanks for the input. I wonder is it good to set sites to a close setup like 10 meters? Would it be better to set for longer distance. Thanks Ron
Set your sights to whatever range you are shooting. Change the range, change the sights.

Keep a shooting diary and you will know how much to move them to get you reasonably centered and then fine tune from there with your sighting shots.
dronning

Post by dronning »

DLS wrote:.....
Keep a shooting diary and you will know how much to move them to get you reasonably centered and then fine tune from there with your sighting shots.
No sighters in Bullseye.
Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
~ Ben Franklin
darticus

Post by darticus »

Thanks all very good info. Ron
trulyapostolic

Post by trulyapostolic »

You'll probably find that the POI is differnet from shooting off a rest as opposed to one-handed, standing. Centering the dot from a bench will get you close but more than likely you'll need to readjust.
darticus

Post by darticus »

Thats true from shooting 10m for years. Ron
trulyapostolic wrote:You'll probably find that the POI is differnet from shooting off a rest as opposed to one-handed, standing. Centering the dot from a bench will get you close but more than likely you'll need to readjust.
DLS

Post by DLS »

dronning wrote:
DLS wrote:.....
No sighters in Bullseye.
I was referring to the pre-match sighting period.
Rover

Post by Rover »

As dronning said, "No sighters in Bullseye.", no matter what you do locally. That means no shooting before a match.

In real life, I don't find much difference in POI between 50 feet and 50 yards with a .22. I couldn't say about 10 meters.