Steyr or Morini

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Timberwerks

Steyr or Morini

Post by Timberwerks »

Hi Everyone

New member & first post here. After shooting an IZH 46M for awhile I've decided I'd like to move up to a pcp pistol but not sure which one. So far my choice is between the Steyer LP2 & Morini 162 EI or MI.

For those that have seen & fired both, what is your opinion? Along with performance I'm interested in quality of fit & finish between the two.

Thanks
Rover

Post by Rover »

Good luck finding an LP2.

While I would prefer a Morini to my LP1, it's because of the electric trigger and pellet loading tray, not for any quality reasons.

If you're comfortable with pumping the IZH and just want an upgrade then I'd look for one of the FWB 100 series or a Pardini K58 (my personal choice). It saves the expense and annoyance of messing with air tanks. Either gun would shoot as well as any PCP.
Timberwerks

Post by Timberwerks »

Is the LP-2 no longer in production? I am a bit more interested in the Morini so that may not be to much of a let down if not.

I'd really like to go PCP though. There is a dive shop just a mile from me so it would be much of a problem filling a tank.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks
m1963

Post by m1963 »

We now have an LP2 and an LP10. Each has it's own, weird, idiosyncrasies. Our IZH-46M does not compare. Time to sell,..
Last edited by m1963 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I have seen very few LP2 available used. You can, of course, buy the LP2 ($1650) or a Morini new from Pilkington. These guns are kind of spendy. That's why there is such a turnover in used guns in the Classifieds.

In addition, you must buy a SCUBA tank and adaptor with pressure gauge and have it tested occasionally at about $50 a pop. Fills aren't much.

You can skip all that if your club supplies air.
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

m1963 wrote:I have owned an IZH-46m, for over a decade, (still own) and have always been happy. IMHO, the IZH-46m is equal to almost all AP tasks. If you need up-graded grips contact RINK. FWIW if one needs/chooses a PCP- I have shot the Benelli Kite, the Steyr LP-10, and the Pardini K12- all during competition. I found that I shot the Pardini K12 the best and purchased same. Reference PCP charging, I had the same problem and chose a Hill pump; very pleased.
I have a used certified scuba tank that cost me $75 and the archer who owns the shop gives me $3 fills--normally $10. There is no reason to pump a Hill or any other pump these days, IMO. I use my floor pumping skills for my bicycles.....

All the pistols mentioned are excellent. I have Kite that I love more and more. Just did a personal best of 536 for 60 in a Canadian postal match which is unlikely to have been dependent on the pistol. lol.
Good shooting,
Brian
motorcycle_dan

favorite is a personal choice

Post by motorcycle_dan »

I too own and use an IZH-46M. It is unlikely either one of us will become more talented than the Izzy.
I bought a Benelli Kite while Larry's guns had some at Camp Perry. It is very accurate but "doesn't quite" fit me. I end up loaning it to a shooting buddy who loves it better. I did buy an LP-10 from another shooting bud. I love the way it feels in my hand. Recently bought a 1911 grip adapter for it. Really like the way it feels with the 1911 grips. Thank to the nice folks at Pilk.
I also own a Crosman Blaser 1911 adapter, Not quite as accurate as the LP 10 but close.
I have several Tau-7 CO2 rigs. Use them for a Youth and adult air pistol league. They are VERY accurate.
So the moral of my story, what ever "feels" good in your hand will poke holes in "your" 10 ring. Trigger control trumps all else. Find one that allows you to break the shot just as the sights come into perfect alignment.

steyr or morini

Post by Guest »

I'm a novice but I bought and currently have the morini, Benelli Kite and the steyr LP-10.
I like the electronic trigger of the morini but I like the feel of the Binelli Kite better and to me they seem about equal in shooting at this stage.
The real class by far to me is the Steyr and I don't even know what I am doing when it comes to shooting compared to others in this forum. It looks and feels far superior in construction and balance and fit. The Kite feels better grip wise and I think it is because I think the grip on the Steyr is a medium.
I thought I asked for a large but I am not sure because the steyr and Morini I bought from Pilkguns. and I know the morini grip is a large. Everything feels the best with the Steyr except the grip. If I had to have just one of them it would be hands down the Steyr and the price difference can be seen and felt in the gun itself. I am waiting on my Target retriever and have not made up my mind yet about electronic scorers.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Hey, Robinhoods! You think you can sneak in here as a "guest"?
Timberwerks

Post by Timberwerks »

I'm now thinking about the Pardini K12 over the Morini. There is video on Youtube showing the Pardini being fired. Seems a bit on the loud side. Not really to much of an issue but the Morini does seem to be a bit more quiet.
Rover

Post by Rover »

There has been some discussion on this subject before. Many found that the strike of the pellet on their backstop is much louder than the gunshot. Combine the two and it can be pretty noisy. For max quiet, a box of rags is best.

Also, the higher the power is set at the louder the noise. I certainly wouldn't buy a gun on the basis of what you see (hear) on Youtube.

Furthermore, I see no advantage to a PCP over a SSP. Some here get quite vociferous over their attempt to buy a few points, though.
Brian Lafferty

Post by Brian Lafferty »

Rover wrote:There has been some discussion on this subject before. Many found that the strike of the pellet on their backstop is much louder than the gunshot. Combine the two and it can be pretty noisy. For max quiet, a box of rags is best.

Also, the higher the power is set at the louder the noise. I certainly wouldn't buy a gun on the basis of what you see (hear) on Youtube.

Furthermore, I see no advantage to a PCP over a SSP. Some here get quite vociferous over their attempt to buy a few points, though.
Electrical duct putty. Silent. Thin.
Timberwerks

Post by Timberwerks »

Thanks for the replies everyone! The reason I'd like to go PCP is because I'm getting older (48) and I've always wanted to give PCP a try. The noise level is a bit of a concern because of dog & wife if I shoot indoors.

I am leaning more towards the Pardini though.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

The noise is somewhat subjective. I find my Pardini shooting around 470fps to be much quieter than a couple of Morini 162ei pistols I've stood next to in competition and practice, but apparently some folks find the K12 loud. Go figure.

And yeah, duct seal is quiet. As are rags. A steel plate is about as loud as it gets, but efficient for club use in directing pellets downward. As for Rover... he seems to think K58's grown on trees. Maybe they do in his part of the world, but no amount of wishful thinking has made one available for me the past 2 years. One posted here some months ago and sold the same morning, before I even woke up at 7:30, besides which that and the others appear only in the USA which makes it borderline impossible to find a seller willing to ship to Canada. I wish you luck if you go that route but finding a new PCP to buy is going to be a lot easier.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Another vote regarding checking out the Pardini before making final decision
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Out of interest Timberwerks, have you shot any of these guns you are thinking about buying?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Besides the K58, there are the FWB 100, 102, 103, Walther LPM1, FAS 604, and maybe one or two more.

Since you just want a new toy (a quiet one), go with what you like.

BTW I shot an AP match this a.m. shooting next to a Morini. It was quiet.
Timberwerks

Post by Timberwerks »

No, sorry to say there isn't a way to try any of the mentioned pistols. I'm not a competitive shooter, just with a group of friends who enjoy shooting together.
6string

Post by 6string »

Just personal opinion here. For a few years I did a lot of club shooting in which I competed and did routine maintenance on a variety of club guns. These included a bunch of CO2 guns like Walthers and FWB, and PCP guns such as Steyr LP1 & LP10, Anschutz LP, FWBs and Morini (electronic and mechanical).
For my own use I chose a Pardini. I like the ergonomics and trigger better. That's pure personal choice, maybe partially biased by use of the Pardini SP22 pistol for 22. Noise is largely a function of the velocity adjustment, based on what I've observed in my experience. PardiniUSA can probably advise you best as far as the particulars, but I'm sure they could adjust a pistol to meet your needs.
Maybe you should ask them for their opinion?

Best Regards,
Jim
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have a Morini, and a Steyr LP50. I really like the trigger on the Morini, but I like the adjustability of the grip in the Steyr. However, the Morini factory grip fits my hand better to start with.

Another thing I like about Steyr is that they provide videos on how to do fairly major repair work on their pistols. Nobody else does that.

It's hard to go wrong with either one. If you can't try one out to start with, it's really a toss up.