I had a dream

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

TommyH

I had a dream

Post by TommyH »

I moved clubs recently, because the first one I was going to had AP shooters there, but none were competition shooters, they enjoyed shooting cornflake boxes to bits etc with BB guns, and although I was made to feel very welcome - it just wasn't for me, I wanted to do some serious competition shooting. The second club I am at is a right dump, the 10 metre AP range I was told "was all mine", they weren't lying, I'm the only one ever there. it's in a damp cold basement (I mentioned in a previous post that I blew the lights one night by warming my hands up with a hair dryer).

When I bought my Morini, I looked forward to shooting in a line with other competitors (like you see on YouTube) but the only thing I've done up to now is shoot a postal comp' on my own in a damp cold range.

I might give the first club I went to another go, but at this stage I can't see myself sticking AP out for much longer. You may well see soon - Morini 162EI for sale, boo hoo

Tom
Timberwerks

Post by Timberwerks »

Sorry to hear that you have had no luck finding others to shoot with. I have the same thing here with steel tip dart leagues, non to be found since everyone here shoots electronic.

On another note. How do you like your Morini? I'm looking to purchase one this Summer.

Thanks
remmy223

Post by remmy223 »

http://www.nsra.co.uk/index.php/home/cl ... ire&site=1

4pages of clubs in the lancs area.

Talk to the NSRA they should be able to help you out.

How far from Wigan are you?

http://www.wigantsc.org.uk

Probably have some of the best facilities in the north west. You won't trip the electrics in there!!!
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

There are probably one or two clubs missing from the list for lancs, if the Norfolk listing is anything to go by. Here in Norfolk we only have one club regularly shooting 10m air. It is though a very good club, with multiple National Squad members shooting there. For myself and my daughter though it is a 50 mile round trip. The smallbore club we use, one of only two in the county that allow for shooting at 100 yards is also a 50 mile round trip, and in a different direction to the air rifle club. In the summer with all the tourists about it can take an hour to get there too, what with all the little country roads.

I have to say that for a lot of folks precision target shooting, be that rifle or pistol is just too demanding to get "good" scores. If a club doesn't have a core of decent shooters then you get clubs like the first one you joined, where the members will turn up and just blast whatever they like, all you can say is one hopes that they are having fun safely. The other situation you might get is that you join a club that does a different discipline to the one you want to shoot. They might have a facility but as no one uses it it becomes run down. The problem is that unless members are regularly using a facility the club are not going to spend their limited budgets on improving it. Members though will not join if the facilities are not well looked after. I'm sure that if that club mostly shoot 25 yard prone there will be zero interest in using the 10m range. Prone rifle shooters are very unlikely to shoot air rifle. It has always been that competitive pistol shooters were much more likely to AP as well as the 25m rimfire/centerfire events. Air Pistol, being shot in the same position is a good training aid, for the majority of rifle shooters Air Rifle, being shot standing is not much use as a training aid to a precision prone shooter, so virtually no cross over.

Anyway just some of my thoughts on the British club shooting scene.

Alan
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

Thanks for the replies.

BigAl, the owner of the 2nd club told me that when handguns were abolished in the UK it didn't do much for AP as the two went hand in hand - one trained the other.

Timberwerks, the Morini is a dream, it sits nicely in the hand and is very accurate. I've never held any other precision pistol so can't compare but I'm not sorry for shelling out the expensive price tag, it's worth every penny.

Remmy223, I'm about 25 minutes away from Wigan, I'll definitely give that a try, thanks for the link.

Tom
Silvershooter

Post by Silvershooter »

There is a good club in Aintree , I know 1 or 2 of the members there

http://www.aintreepistolclub.org.uk/

I am a member of WTSC, unfortunately it's only open 2 nights a week.