LED lighting for ranges?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

RossM

Post by RossM »

The reflector.

An option could be to darken the upper part of the reflector and make the bottom part shiny. This MAY reduce the light to the top and MAY increase the light to the bottom.

This is an intuitive guess. But not as good an idea as having different LEDs within the reflector i feel.

Post by Guest »

LED's emit light light in a very narrow forward band and as such have no need for a reflector unlike incandescent elements that emit light in every direction and the rlector does just that - reflects. You cannot sometimes not even see a led is even on from the side. It uses a resin lens that surrounds it to project the light in a focused way.

George
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Spencer wrote:[...for me, I would redesign the reflector the LED is mounted in - cheaper, simpler?
My mistaken terminology - I mean the reflector/shade surrounding the lamp fitting, not the internal reflector of the LEDs.
IPshooter

What bulb is typically used in Sius Ascor's 10 m system?

Post by IPshooter »

Just wondering how much light they put on the target.
Dwight714

LED range lights

Post by Dwight714 »

Hello everyone,
At Norfolk County Rifle Range, in Chesapeake Virginia, we replaced all range lighting with LED. We have a 25 yard indoor range with baffles hiding the lights from bullets. We used (15) LED floods equal to 150 watts and at the 25' baffle from the pit we installed (5) LED lights equal to 400 watts. The target is getting 100-125 foot candles at the face of the target. The best part is the equal spread of light across the range with very little degree of variance, using 5000 to 6500 kelvin. Kelvin is the color range, 6500 kelvin being daylight which is what we used. I have some pictures of Virginia JORC championships if anyone is interested to see what it looks like. Also, after installation of the LED lights our electric bill was reduced 30%-35% (for our club around $125 to $150 monthly), and the LED has a 50,000 hour life span which is equivalent to years of service without changing lamps. I think the lighting is great. For pictures email me at dwightwhttkr@yahoo.com.
RossM

Post by RossM »

100-125 foot candles are some weird unit that is only used in a small far away land called the United States. :-) The rest of the world use the term Lux. 10.7 lux = an old foot candle. So the light levels are around 1000 - 1300 lux. Spot on.

So IPShooter, that amount of light on the target is what Dwight714 said.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

RossM wrote:... So the light levels are around 1000 - 1300 lux. Spot on.
?
suggest re-reading 6.4.14 which calls for 1500 lux minimum,