Breaking in a new pistol

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Wsuman

Breaking in a new pistol

Post by Wsuman »

Tried a search as this can't be a new topic. Came up empty

However, I'm investing in a new free pistol (TOZ) and a new pellet gun (K-12).

Are there any particular recommendations for breaking in either of these as yet unfired pistols?

Regards,
Walt
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Nope, just load them and go. Only thing I'd suggest is with the free pistol make sure you've got a good safe backstop just in case the sights are a mile off. I'd perhaps also be inclined to check the barrels of both and make sure they are clean and not full of oil, but with all my new guns I've never had any problems.

Rob.
David M

Post by David M »

The only running in you should do is to a high powered jacketed rifle.
Full clean and barrel scrub, fire one shot, clean, fire two shots, clean, fire three shots, clean etc, up to eight to ten shots string.
With a low power lead barrel just clean it well before shooting and clean again after 10-15 shots to check for leading.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Shoot it lots and enjoy.

General knowledge is that full bore rifles benefit from a break in, though with modern machining I don't know how much of that is some sort of hold over from the past. I've never seen any data to show that there is actually any difference.
Wsuman

Post by Wsuman »

Thanks. Off to the range I go.

Walt
conradin

Post by conradin »

Fire a felt pellet for your air pistol, that's about it for "breaking in". There is no need to break in the TO3, it either works or not work.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

You should clean the barrel of any firearm new to you - new or secondhand - before you shoot it.

Who knows what oil, grease, protective coating has been left in the barrel.

Actual 'break-in' - probably none, autos do sometimes take a while for the chamber to smooth out.