Baikal 46M

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Chef247

Baikal 46M

Post by Chef247 »

I just got a Baikal 46 M from Gunbroker..... Looks like had very little use. Grips are great, trigger is wonderful. It cocks.... I feel resistance, the pellet loads..... the trigger is nice..... but the pellet isn't sent out of the barrel.
Is this just a bad seal? I hear the air escape.... am I doing something wrong?
Thanks
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

The piston seal may need to be replaced or it may just need to be lubed. I don't have the manual handy, but you can go to the 10P files here: http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/default.htm and there are diagrams and a couple of links under "Baikal".

Good luck.

Roger
Ken O

Post by Ken O »

I would guess one of the seals is missing. The triangle block has a seal in front, and on the bottom. They are know to go awol. You would notice if the front was gone, check the bottom seal.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

The two seals shown in the photo included with the link, below, must be in place for the IZH-46m to fire. They are easy to lose, especially when one dry fires the pistol by fully cocking it, rather than using the dry fire feature. Cheers.

http://www.amazon.com/IZH-46M-Breech-Se ... B001BR6IIY
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

$21.05 FOR TWO O-RINGS??!?

Better off going directly to Pyramid Air - they have those rings for $9.99 (still kind of ouchy) or a complete set of seals for $24.95.

http://tinyurl.com/py98cfm

Roger
m1963

Post by m1963 »

So true, the price of o-rings, etc. for the IZH-46M in the US is outrageous.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Not inflated: "The fact is some re-sellers charge OVER-INFLATED prices."

Go to ACE Hardware; they have a great selection.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

If you want to take the time, go to the McMaster-Carr web site, search on o-rings, select "metric" and get some calipers and see how closely your extant ring matches a standard metric specification. (I would do that for you, but my Izzy is on loan to a friend.) Once you know what the designation of the o-ring is, you may be able to get it at a well-stocked hardware store or perhaps at Tractor Supply. If you don't want to go schlepping hither and yon just to save a couple of beans, I expect that you can buy a bag of 50 from McMaster a few bucks plus shipping. In other words, it will cost about as much as buying from Pyramyd, but you'll get a life-time supply with approximately 44 left over. A lifetime supply assuming, of course, you can still find the bag when you next need to replace a seal. (BTW, the best way to avoid premature seal replacement is to make damn sure the breech block clicks closed before firing. Ask me how I know ...)

The logistics of stocking a small item in small quantity packages is going to have an effect on price. $20 for two rings is an outrageous ripoff, but the Pyramyd price probably reflects the logistics of small purchases. It may pay to buy the whole seal kit, and maybe some pellets or other supplies just to distribute the shipping charge. And, no, I don't work for Pyramyd and I don't get a commission.

Roger
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Quote- (BTW, the best way to avoid premature seal replacement is to make damn sure the breech block clicks closed before firing. Ask me how I know ...)

No need to ask, been there,...done that,...
bam86

Post by bam86 »

Are the two rings in the breech block really O-rings. I seem to remember the ones in mine were not O-rings, but more of a ring with a square or trapezoidal cross section.

Of course that was after I dug around on the floor to find them back behind the washing machine.

Lesson 1 Be sure the breech is closed (audible click) before firing.
bam86

Post by bam86 »

Are the two rings in the breech block really O-rings. I seem to remember the ones in mine were not O-rings, but more of a ring with a square or trapezoidal cross section.

Of course that was after I dug around on the floor to find them back behind the washing machine.

Lesson 1 Be sure the breech is closed (audible click) before firing.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

No, not O-rings. They're sort of a round-ish topped triangle in cross-section. Here's a good tutorial on how to make your own using a common plumbing washer:
http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/viewto ... 14&t=33429
Just need to have good control with a very sharp razor knife.
Rover

Post by Rover »

A skilled craftsman, Gerard has failed to reveal a trade secret important to producing fine and delicate work: You must learn to hold your mouth right.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

You've been watching me through my computer's webcam Rover? It's a family thing, on my father's side, okay? My biochemist brother does the same thing. Just give it a rest already!
rrdstarr

Post by rrdstarr »

My brother does it to! He's the lead mechanic at a Toyota dealership.

Keep the two seals lubed!
45ACP223

Post by 45ACP223 »

…..and keep the rear breach open when you put the Izzy away so you take the pressure off the o-ring. That will extend their life as well.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I would recommend opening the breech at the end of a session, but NOT far enough to cock the valve. Just pull the latching block forward enough to pop the breech open, but don't lift it. This will take pressure off the seals.

If the pistol is stored with valve cocked, many of them will end up weakening the valve spring over time. When that happens, the breech won't stay vertical, and will flop down after you cock it.

We have about 20 IZH's that have been stored in racks with the breech opened vertically. They are probably 10 to 15 years old, and we have at least 3 or 4 where the breech lever won't stay up now. We will be changing our storage protocol in the near future.