Forum is dark in honor of Bill Krilling.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pilkguns
Site Admin

Forum is dark in honor of Bill Krilling.

Post by pilkguns »

I heard the sad news yesterday that Bill Krilling is no longer with us. He was a great mentor to shooters all over the US and even the world.

If you are not familiar with him, you should read this story that I wrote about his retirement ceremony a decade ago.
http://pilkguns.com/mag/fotokrill.htm

bandur60

Post by bandur60 »

Wondered about the background color change .... but not for long.

At 1999 USAS Nationals in Atlanta my daughter was gifted "Shooting for Gold" and it was one of the first books we now have in a little rifle-shooters' library. It's the first one I recommend to our 4H air rifle shooters; not too expensive but very comprehensive. Thanks Don Worrall, RIP with Bill Krilling.
ChipEck

Post by ChipEck »

Never had the honor of meeting him. Heard many great stories about him.

Chip
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Very sad, only met him once, was a very nice guy. Did a lot for the shooting sports, he will surely be missed.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Mille Regretz.
Pardinishooter

Post by Pardinishooter »

My condolences, Sir.
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

Thank you very much for this token gesture in honor of Bill Krilling. Can't express my feelings adequate in english, so I keep it short.

R.I.P.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

Here's an interesting article from Bill's shooting career

http://www.wwmcmillan.info/panAmGames_1963.html
justadude

Post by justadude »

For those who never had the privilege of meeting him, Mr. Krilling was a true gentleman's gentleman.

His knowledge of the shooting sports was unsurpassed and his kindness and patience were unequaled.

In the natural order of things our sport has lost one of it icons and I have lost a hero. : (

RIP Mr. Krilling

'Dude
Hap Rocketto

Bill Krilling

Post by Hap Rocketto »

William E. (“Bill”) Krilling passed away on February 22, 2014 after a life that was long and well lived in service to his nation and the sport of shooting.

The man most known as a constant presence on the firing line as competitor and coach at Camp Perry, and numerous other ranges home and abroad, was a soldier first.

As a noncommissioned officer he “distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism in action against enemy aggressor forces in the vicinity of Satae-ri, Korea, on 13 February 1953.” Wounded, Bill assumed command of his patrol after its commander was wounded, attacked an enemy position across a minefield, and rescued three of his injured companions, guided his men back to safety and only then allowed himself to be treated for his wounds. For this act of bravery Bill was awarded the second highest award for courage under fire, the Distinguished Service Cross.

Bill was also distinguished in several other ways, more familiar to his firing line friends. He won six national championship titles. He was the first person to shoot a perfect 3200 on the NRA outdoor prone course of fire and that was back in the day of the three pound trigger pull. He won four gold medals, one silver medal and two bronze medals in international competitions. Along the way Bill was awarded the Distinguished Marksman Badge in 1955, United States International Distinguished Shooters Badge #35 in 1963, and NRA Smallbore Rifle Position and Prone Award in 1968 and 1968 respectively. He was also a Conseil International du Sport Militaire (CISM) Champion and team member of a winning National Trophy Team Match

Following his service in his second war, Vietnam, Bill was assigned to the United States Army Marksmanship Training Unit (USAMU) where he served as a shooter, instructor, and coach until he retired in 1971 at the rank of Master Sergeant. Like an old fire horse responding the bell Bill was back at the USAMU in May 1974 as the coach of the International Rifle Team.

He also served as the U.S. National Team coach from 1981 to 1986 and has served in several different capacities for both the U.S. Team and the International Sport Shooting Federation. Bill was named the U.S. Olympic Committee 1998 National Shooting coach of the Year. Bill has served on numerous ISSF juries for world-level competitions include the juries for five Olympic Games. Bill was inducted into the AMU Hall of Fame in 1998.
Between May of 1973 and March of 2001 he coached his team to 105 CISM medals, 172 CAT medals, 84 Pan Am medals, 185 World Cup Medals, and 4 Olympic Medals; a grand total of 550 medals won in international competition.

At the opening ceremony for the 2011 International Shooting Sports Federation World Cup at Fort Benning he was awarded the highest ISSF honor, the "President Button" by the ISSF President, Mr. Olegario Vazquez Raña, whom Bill had coached when Raña was competing.

The William E. Krilling Trophy was donated to the NRA by the US Army Marksmanship Unit in honor of Krilling. The silver plated cup with a large black metal base, and three standing shooters on the base, was placed in competition in 2001 and is presented to the Three Position Metallic Sight Champion.

Bill Krilling dedicated nearly 53 of his 86 years to his nation and in return his nation dedicated a firing range at Fort Benning in his honor. The Krilling Range is an action and combat shooting range that is now the home of the USAMU Action Shooting Team.

We Are Diminshed.
Old Artilleryman

Post by Old Artilleryman »

Met him and worked under him during my brief 1970 stint at the MTU. Ditto to all the positive comments already made. An honorable soldier and fine man.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Memorial Celebration of Life on March 29th

Post by pilkguns »

Short news release this AM. Memorial Celebration of Life on March 29th. Assume obituary will soon follow.

Paper: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ledger ... =169884758

Mortuary: http://www.legacy.com/funeral-homes/geo ... ry/fh-5117