Kneeling problem

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Tanktrek

Kneeling problem

Post by Tanktrek »

I am a right hand shooter, and I was wondering if anyone has an exercise to help with front and back of the leg pain of the right leg when shooting the kneeling position.

Ron
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Suggest you get someone to take a couple of pictures of you in position to see if its that that's causing you problems. If the position is good then some warm ups followed by some stretches should help. Just google calf and shin stretches and see what they suggest.

Rob.
Walther101

PAIN!!!

Post by Walther101 »

I have been shooting for ~5yrs and have always had intense pain when in kneeling. I shot in NCAA for 3.5yrs and in that time my right leg did not hurt about 5 times in that time. Stretching does help a lot if you are feeling pain in your quad and hamstrings, but my pain was more in my ankle.

Send me a PM if you want a list of stretches

Walther101
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

Try play around with exactly where under your ankle the roll is. I moved mine out (towards the knee) slightly recently and this has taken a massive amount of the discomfort out of the position. Specifically, it's gotten rid of the intense end of the pain spectrum, and the recovery time after getting out of the position is much shorter now. Might be something to try. Other than that, just making sure your calves and shins are warmed up and your ankle is stretched out beforehand. It's not a terribly comfortable position. Ultimately, it's pretty unkind to the system, so get as comfortable as you can while maximising stability and then get through the kneeling section as fast as you can do it cleanly. With it at the front end of the match now, you don't want excessive discomfort to fatigue you when there's eighty competition shots left to go.
Tanktrek

kneeling problem

Post by Tanktrek »

Thank you Dave IRL, thats good advice.

Ron
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Kneeling

Good news- When you learn it, it is almost as stable as prone.

Bad news - It always hurts. I shot kneeling about 30 years and eventually my knee gave up and I had to stop shooting kneeling after the surgery on it.