Small primer cases in .45

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

BenEnglishTX

Small primer cases in .45

Post by BenEnglishTX »

I will begin shooting a .45 within the next year or so and will have to begin reloading shortly thereafter. I'm starting from a clean slate. I notice that Grizzly (at http://www.grizzly.com/products/RWS-45- ... Bag/BL1276) has small-primer brass available at a price a bit lower than the current market.

In my particular case, I'm trying to decide between a couple of alternatives. I could just shoot the few thousand rounds of factory ball ammo I have in my closet (a mix of Remington, WW, and PMC), save the used brass, and start with that. Or I could buy a few thousand cases of the above-referenced RWS, let it sit for a year or more, then start with brand new brass of all the same make. Or I could just forget about this stuff until I want to start reloading, hoping that prices will have come down and availability improved in 12-18 months.

Beyond my particular circumstances, though, I'm curious. Is there any theoretical advantage to using .45ACP cases with small primers?
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

One advantage I can think of is that I would not have to change the primer system on my Dillon 650 when I changed calibers. All the other ammo I load use small primers.....

A disadvantage would be that you would have to use just that brass or have to deal with keeping large and small primers separated down the road if you want to use the brass from your exisiting ammo.
Isabel1130

Re: Small primer cases in .45

Post by Isabel1130 »

BenEnglishTX wrote:I will begin shooting a .45 within the next year or so and will have to begin reloading shortly thereafter. I'm starting from a clean slate. I notice that Grizzly (at http://www.grizzly.com/products/RWS-45- ... Bag/BL1276) has small-primer brass available at a price a bit lower than the current market.

In my particular case, I'm trying to decide between a couple of alternatives. I could just shoot the few thousand rounds of factory ball ammo I have in my closet (a mix of Remington, WW, and PMC), save the used brass, and start with that. Or I could buy a few thousand cases of the above-referenced RWS, let it sit for a year or more, then start with brand new brass of all the same make. Or I could just forget about this stuff until I want to start reloading, hoping that prices will have come down and availability improved in 12-18 months.

Beyond my particular circumstances, though, I'm curious. Is there any theoretical advantage to using .45ACP cases with small primers?
Ben, if you need brass, your best bet is to find a commercial range that recycles and sells it. I have quite a bit of mixed head stamp that I can send you for the cost of shipping if you would like. A kid that shoots with me, buys a lot of ammo and doesn't reload much. I use exclusively Starline, and have plenty on hand.

In my mind, best to go with the large primer brass for getting your loads correct, and uniform. Picking out the small primer brass will quickly become a PITA.

Have you been watching Zins on Top Shot? Kate
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

Isabel1130 wrote:Have you been watching Zins on Top Shot?
Sure. After his clinic and the way he assessed my skills, how could I not? ;)

As for the brass, I will probably do the logical thing and shoot up my factory ammo, save the brass, and reload that. That will give me a few thousand cases to start.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

BenEnglishTX wrote:
Isabel1130 wrote:Have you been watching Zins on Top Shot?
Sure. After his clinic and the way he assessed my skills, how could I not? ;)

As for the brass, I will probably do the logical thing and shoot up my factory ammo, save the brass, and reload that. That will give me a few thousand cases to start.

I would not shoot your ball ammo for practice if I were you. Not only is it hard on the wrist and elbow, it is a horrible waste of expensive rounds that are selling for a premium right now. If I were you, unless you have a 45 LEG gun, you want to save it for, you should sell it or trade it for once fired brass, and more bullseye appropriate lead or jacketed bullets.
mld

Small primers in .45

Post by mld »

We've had this discussion before on a different thread. There is no difference in load performance between the large pistol primers and small pistol primers.

The issue, as mentioned above, is getting the brass mixed up when reloading. It's a pain to sort it and you will immediately know if you are trying to seat a large primer in a small primer pocket on your Dillon 650.

Right now I am reloading .45 with large pistol primers because small pistol primers are virtually sold out in Canada.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I would be careful on this one and pick size and stick with it. On the short line you could mix and match and you should not notice a difference. You will notice on the long line every little thing can cause shots to not group the best. Some people only shoot new brass and only one make. I only shoot Starline at 50yds since I found out that Federal brass comes in 2 different flash holes.

I sorted all of my Fed brass and found out I had a 50-50 mix of large and small flash holes. They were all large primer pockets. At this point I have sorted all of my Fed brass and removed all of the brass with the larger flash hole until I have time to do some testing at 25 yds to determine if they have a negative impact since all of my other very mixed and well used brass have all small flash holes.

If I were starting out I would pick up all of the brass you can find and use it for the short line and then buy new for the long line and keep them separate. When you get to the point were you are shooting close to 2600 then you may want to do some testing and see if used brass from one manufacture provides similar or worse results as the same new brass with your load. I am planning to test this also but have not got there yet since I am still looking for the best load for 50yds. Doc Young always said "never stop testing".

good luck
dronning

Post by dronning »

I'm using large primer brass only right now BUT I have about 1,000 of 45 brass in small primer I am hanging on to. Right now I have what I need for the season in large primers IF I reduce my live fire practice. Who knows there may come a time I can't find large pistol primers.

Dave
tuj

Post by tuj »

I don't believe there is any theoretical advantage to using small primers. I have used them in the current ammo shortage and have had good results on the short-line with them. They *seem* to have just a tiny bit less recoil with the same load. Not sure if that's just my imagination or not...
38HBWC

small vs large PP

Post by 38HBWC »

One thing I have benefitted from in respect to the small pocketed 45 brass: as long as it is 100% sorted to size, there will NEVER be a military swaged pocket to hang up in the Dillon primer seating stage. My twice fired empties are relegated to my "non bullseye" guns once they have been reloaded. I do notice some distinct bolt face markings and deep extractor scuffs on brass that goes beyond a third loading.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You're all neglecting the biggest advantage of small primer brass: no one will steal it and it's easy to tell it's yours.
38HBWC

Small PP 45 brass

Post by 38HBWC »

That's right!! Shooters will even give it to you....