DO U NEED A SPARE 10M PISTOL

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

spyker187

DO U NEED A SPARE 10M PISTOL

Post by spyker187 »

hi all new to the lounge

Q. started shooting 10m pistol for around 18months now... do i need to carry a spare as the last few days my current pistol packed up and do they normally break down !!! current pistol is a morini 162e bought it 2nd second around 3years old at the time

Q. if so do u carry the same pistol or not

love to hear from u all
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I don't know if you need a spare, but I have had my pistol lose air twice in important matches. I bought a bunch of o rings and will take my trust IZH 46 with me when I attend something like a State match in the future. I don't know about a Morini, but the valve on a Steyr can be accessed fairly rapidly for an exchange if faulty.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Its up to you to decide and it seems to me that it depends at what level you are shooting.

Top brands air pistol are very reliable and the chance to have a problem is very low especially if you have more than one cylinder. Now if I was qualified for the Olympic Games, I guess I would take a spare one !
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Hardly an Olympic level shooter here, and so far my Pardini K10 has been reliable in local matches. But I bring my modified (much lightened) Baikal 46m to matches just in case.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Naah!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Few shooters carry a backup pistol but I know one or two that have done. At international level you'll have service engineers from the major manufacturers present at most matches plus some nations have their own travelling gunsmiths. I personally think you'd be very unlucky for your gun to break mid competition so I never carry a spare, even though I have a 5-shot AP that I could switch to if needed.

Rob.
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, you need a extra pistol. Mine is a .44 Black powder revolver.

On a serious note, you are more likely to need it at a local or national event. There is a lot of support at the world level.
conradin

Post by conradin »

I use an LP10 and she uses an LP1CP. We essentially can share a pistol if one of them fail, or switch whatever parts that are needed.

If we switch pistol then we have to do all the fine adjustment like rear sight clicks, if we switch parts then we do not need to do so, but it will take longer time to do the switch.

We make sure we are in separate relays.
trinity

Post by trinity »

How much is a backup pistol? $2000 for a Steyr LP10 or equivalent?

Let's see, if you go to an away competition and need to fly, even within the country, airfare is probably around $700? Then, let's add hotel, another $600? Now add food and misc other expenses. If you are travelling to outside the country, then it is even more expensive.

So you've spent all that money, only to have your one and only air pistol fail on you on the line so you don't even get to shoot (or finish) your match, thus wasting all the other funds spent and not to mention, time spent on the endeavour.

Now do you think you need to get a backup air pistol?

-trinity
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

I think it comes down to priorities. If I manage to progress to the point where international competition could prove rewarding, as in shooting AP scores in the high 570's or better, consistently, then I'll probably have two identically set up pistols. Until then I'm happy with my old Izzy as a backup. Have it anyway, and it's setup near enough to my Pardini that I can shoot about the same scores with it, so for now that's good enough. I've heard enough sad tales from shooters around here to know that even the almighty Steyr can fail, as can the Morini, so what harm bringing along a backup?

My hands are too big to borrow a pistol from most shooters so that's out. Every pistol I've been handed at the club to try has been impossible to hold, I find the palm shelf in my palm. Kind of awkward to shoot that way, and even adjusted radically downwards the grips are all too small. So I carve my own grips. A company tech at a big competition isn't likely to be able to fix anything too deep in my pistol during the actual competition and isn't likely to have a loaner available with a grip like I'm used to using, so that's out too. Of course at my level (540's) it's not a huge deal if my pistol breaks and I don't have a backup - there's not a lot on the line with local competitions. But it's nice to know it's right there in the case and can pass pistol check and be ready to go in a minute if needed. And I'm not so weak that carrying the case with two pistols is a big deal.
jipe

Post by jipe »

If it is about traveling to a competition abroad that includes flying, I think that the probability to have problems with baggages (lost, blocked, delayed...) is much higher than the probability to have an air pistol failure.

So, in that case, what is important is to ship the second pistol differently than the first one. If they are packed together, both will be lost, blocked...
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Lanny Bassham mentioned that he and a fellow member of the Olympic team made a point of bringing backup rifles...and shipping one from each shooter in the same case. Saved their bacon when one case went "lost"...and was "found" in the Soviet weightlifting team's locker room.

Having had that sort of experience myself, I'd definitely bring a backup if I could afford to.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Mike M. wrote:Lanny Bassham mentioned that he and a fellow member of the Olympic team made a point of bringing backup rifles...and shipping one from each shooter in the same case. Saved their bacon when one case went "lost"...and was "found" in the Soviet weightlifting team's locker room.

Having had that sort of experience myself, I'd definitely bring a backup if I could afford to.
In this day and age you probably wouldn't be able to do that given the laws around flying and flying with guns. Best advise is to get anywhere early so that if anything does go missing you have enough time for it to reappear at the airport and be transported or collected in plenty of time.

As a shooter you need to plan for the most common eventualities and mitigate for them. I'd suggest a gun failing is a very rare event and as such you can generally forget it, unless of course you have a particularly bad example. It's far more likely that you'll knock over a tin of pellets for example and how many of us carry a spare tin in case that happens ?

Rob.
mctrucky

Post by mctrucky »

Interesting topic... Only time I carried a spare to an international I fretted all through the match thinking that I should have used the spare (Steyr) rather than the Morini I was shooting with. Mixed up head equals poor score. Never carried a spare since. Pretty sure if I did have an issue I could borrow an identical gun and swap the grips.

McT
davidjohngoode

Post by davidjohngoode »

I've been thinking about getting an IZH 46M as a spare. We have a club 46M which I have used, and they're surprisingly good. It'll also be handy when friends come round and ask for a go, as at the moment it's strictly "you can look but you can't shoot" with my FWB P44!
conradin

Post by conradin »

davidjohngoode wrote:I've been thinking about getting an IZH 46M as a spare. We have a club 46M which I have used, and they're surprisingly good. It'll also be handy when friends come round and ask for a go, as at the moment it's strictly "you can look but you can't shoot" with my FWB P44!
I actually have a FWB65 that I plan to use jokingly as the competition pistol, only to switch to my LP10 with minutes to spare during sighting period.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Yes, but the face of the competitors next to me will be priceless when I pull out an LP10.
I pretty much turned my FWB65 into a center-fire training pistol. I got the 100g barrel weight, but apparently they have designed it so that you cannot lock the recoil...I was considering have the weight cut a little bit short, but after much thinking, I'll just use the 75g weight. 25g weight is not much of a difference.

Yes, when I put the weight towards the front of the barrel, it feels different.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

conradin wrote:Yes, but the face of the competitors next to me will be priceless when I pull out an LP10.
You think ?

I couldn't care less what anyone else shoots with and I probably wouldn't even notice. The 'priceless' bit will probably be when the jury come up to you to ask for your EC card for the spare gun. And of course you'll be the only penalised through not having the full 15 min of sighters with your match gun.

Rob.
conradin

Post by conradin »

RobStubbs wrote:
conradin wrote:Yes, but the face of the competitors next to me will be priceless when I pull out an LP10.
You think ?

I couldn't care less what anyone else shoots with and I probably wouldn't even notice. The 'priceless' bit will probably be when the jury come up to you to ask for your EC card for the spare gun. And of course you'll be the only penalised through not having the full 15 min of sighters with your match gun.

Rob.
Actually yes, I have seen some snobbish competitors, especially those who are not the good ones, who think they are hot shots...and look down on anyone.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

conradin wrote: Actually yes, I have seen some snobbish competitors, especially those who are not the good ones, who think they are hot shots...and look down on anyone.
Never come across that myself and I always let the results do the talking.

Rob.