Tips to steady vertical hold?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jabberwo

Tips to steady vertical hold?

Post by jabberwo »

Hi,

I've seen an increase in my wobble in the vertical. Looking for tips on how to train or practice to lesson that tendency...

Thanks,
Jab
Last edited by jabberwo on Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

If you are shooting area aim you may be shooting too close to the black. This will vertical string.
Try some blank card shooting and look at the group shape.

Post by Guest »

Try the blank card with a horizontal black strip, 1 inch wide.
Try to stay on the strip....
Randy152

Post by Randy152 »

Take a couple of days off. If you do a lot of shooting, your muscles will fatigue. When you come back in a couple of days, see what happens. If your first targets are OK but then stringing starts again it is time to reduce shooting time. 98 % of the time, when I start stringing vertically, it is because my arm has tired.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Gaze at the front sight - rear sight top horizontal alignment even more closely. That alignment MUST have flip up at the end for the shots to go vertically up. Just have to look at the front sight top alignment INSANELY careful to know what is going on.

If you are dropping your shots, most of the time you just lose focus on the front sight at the last second.

You are the general, it is the private. You tell it what to do :) :) :)
Neon21

Post by Neon21 »

There could be several reasons..

-learn the perfect breath before the shot – not too much and not too less
-make sure there’s the right tension in your arm and wrist
-does the grip matches your hand (especially at the wrist and the middle finger for vertical issues)
-do breaks between the shot if you notice your cohesion is going down
jabberwo

Post by jabberwo »

Neon21 wrote: -does the grip matches your hand (especially at the wrist and the middle finger for vertical issues)
How does one know if a grip matches as you describe? I think the grip is a little small for me. This is my Steyr with a Morini M. Feels smaller then my Pardini K10's M. In that I don't feel the ball filling my palm. But don't know what I'm looking for with the fingers...

thanks,
Jab
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

David M

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:08 pm Post subject:
If you are shooting area aim you may be shooting too close to the black. This will vertical string.
Try some blank card shooting and look at the group shape.
This advice is the perfect starting point in my opinion. I definitely would not have any horizontal lines on the blank card as this will promote a tendency to consciously pull the trigger as you move under and over the line.....goes completely against the reason to shoot area aim.
The suggestion offered by David M regarding blank card shooting and looking at the results will give you the best starting point to address your technical or health issues in the interest of improving steadiness.
Patrick Haynes

Wobble Reduction

Post by Patrick Haynes »

Hi Jab.

Have someone watch you, and see where the wobble is originating from. Is it the body sway along the line of fire? Is the whole arm moving up and down from the shoulder? Is the movement coming from the wrist breaking up/down? Or, is the movement stemming from variations in grip pressure fromthe ring and middle fingers (or even the dreaded pinkie)?

If you can identify where the wobble is originating from, then you can select an appropriate training response.

Take care.
Patrick
scausi

training course

Post by scausi »

Hi I think you ,and any many others will benifit greatly from this link below , it comes straight from the horses mouth

http://www.issf-academy.com/courses/fun ... istol.html

cheers Steve
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

As Patrick rightly says, you need to identify the wobble to be able to solve it. It also assumes your wobble is really that and not a symptom of something else, of which there are many factors can appear the same on the target.

Rob.