News on the Baikal MP-438 ( new model of the IZH-35M)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Leon

News on the Baikal MP-438 ( new model of the IZH-35M)

Post by Leon »

This is the response I received from the Australian importer of Baikal products on the availability of the Baikal MP-438, replacement for the IZH-35M.
"We have been trying to order these pistols since their re launch at the IWA
gunshow in Germany 2010.

Our efforts to procure them have unfortunately been fruitless. Recently when
placing an order for Baikal's we again asked for an update of availability
to be told that at this time they are not available for export.

We do know that initial quantities of the firearm were supplied on
preference to the Russian shooting academy but we don't have any idea when they will be available to us."

So, not any time soon, at least not this year or possibly not even next year.
A bit disappointing, I've been hanging out for one to keep my TOZ 35M and TOZ 49 company.
tuj

Post by tuj »

That's a bummer. The IZH-35m is a great gun.
paulo

Post by paulo »

Some people that shoot it, have mentioned there were some problems with this gun, and further development looked necessary.
It is used mainly in Russia if that can be a clue for further inquiring on your part.
diathermic

Post by diathermic »

So, it has been about a year... what's the news with this gun!? Is it ever going to become a reality?
Leon

Post by Leon »

Yes it has. A small shipment of 5 pistols arrived in Australia about 4 months ago.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

And have they been snapped up? Do you know if any are available?
I bought the IZH-35M as a back-up pistol and quickly turned it into my pistol of choice. I have been very happy with it. I would be interested in obtaining an updated model.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Unfortunately yes, they all have. Only Russian team members and 5 lucky shooters in Australia have them. No other exports have been made.

Keith at Industek has lots on orde,r so speak to him to get added to the list.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Don't tell everyone!!
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

For whatever it's worth - I just asked EAA - the original US importers of the IZH35 if they have any plans to import the Baikal MP-438 (in to the USA). Not surprisingly, the answer was no.
diathermic

Post by diathermic »

Well, that makes me wonder if EAA has exclusive rights to IZH/Baikal products.
It seems like an opportunity for someone else to take up the import! I'd love to see these for sale at Pilk Guns, or Larry's or Champions Choice or something like that. Though I just recently went on a rant on why these guns should be in the hands of a lot more recreational shooters:
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/sh ... p?t=737596

So why not have them for sale at Cabelas or Midway.
They are just darn good for the price!
Eaglemitch

Post by Eaglemitch »

What is the MSRP of these?
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

I think the thread needs at least one image. Not that we'll ever be able to buy the MP-438 in the USA. But at least we can look at a picture of it.

Eaglemitch

Post by Eaglemitch »

To those who purchased them: What is the price?
william

Post by william »

Joe, thank you for the image. Seems to me the Russkies have done little to change the pistol and very little to improve it.

Improving the feed angle & mechanics can only make it better - small plus.

Dedicated weights are nice - small plus.

I never took down an Izh35 to the point of the rear sight came away - neutral

Speaking only for myself I never felt a need or want for a buffer on a .22 (I don't shoot Int'l RF). If the buffer material isn't durable or if spares aren't readily available this could turn into a significant minus.

It looks like the major negative, crappy grip, hasn't been addressed; and I wonder if they have figured out a way to build a slide hold open out of something more rugged than a butterfly wing.
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

william wrote:Joe, thank you for the image. Seems to me the Russkies have done little to change the pistol and very little to improve it.

Improving the feed angle & mechanics can only make it better - small plus.

Dedicated weights are nice - small plus.

I never took down an Izh35 to the point of the rear sight came away - neutral

Speaking only for myself I never felt a need or want for a buffer on a .22 (I don't shoot Int'l RF). If the buffer material isn't durable or if spares aren't readily available this could turn into a significant minus.

It looks like the major negative, crappy grip, hasn't been addressed; and I wonder if they have figured out a way to build a slide hold open out of something more rugged than a butterfly wing.
I guess the negatives depend on the price. If it's priced around $700 - who cares if the grip looks like it belongs on a farm implement. Granted, it looks we'll never see this pistol in the USA.
j-team

Post by j-team »

william wrote: It looks like the major negative, crappy grip, hasn't been addressed...
I think that the Russians have the right idea with grips. "Here's a chuck of wood to get you started".

Anyone who wants to aspire to shoot at a top level will either modify or have a custom one made.

I think they are great value, super reliable pistols (well the IZH35M is anyway, can't see the MP-438 being any different).
Eaglemitch

Post by Eaglemitch »

$$$$$ The money....How much? Any ideas? Guesses? $$$$$
william

Post by william »

I think that the Russians have the right idea with grips. "Here's a chuck of wood to get you started".
I understand the theory. In practice I've found it impossible to use the factory Baikal grip as the basis for anything that works for me. I don't know why that would be the case, but it is. Give me something shaped a little closer to the human hand, and I'm good to go.

But what do I really care? It won't be appearing in the States in my lifetime.
tuj

Post by tuj »

Dick Horton grips.
jipe

Post by jipe »

joe1347 wrote:I think the thread needs at least one image. Not that we'll ever be able to buy the MP-438 in the USA. But at least we can look at a picture of it.

Nice picture, but it doesn't match completely with the specs below : I read "balancing weights : 3x35g" and I see 4 balancing weights marke 25 (g ?) !