300 meter rifle?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Karas

300 meter rifle?

Post by Karas »

Hi!
I'm just a new member here & this is just my second post.
I was a tiny bit disappointed to not see a sub-forum for 300 meter rifle here.
Is there just not enough interest in this rifle shooting discipline?

BTW, I do like this website!

Cheers.......
bluetentacle

Post by bluetentacle »

I'm interested. In fact I recently acquired a rifle to do just this.

There isn't a lot of interest in 300m shooting in the United States (or in Canada, as it appears). But perhaps all those who want to shoot 300m can get a regular postal match going.
corning

Post by corning »

300 meter rifle hasn't been an Olympic sport for a number of years now, so I would think that the interest has diminished.

John
Karas

Well go figure!

Post by Karas »

Fre@king Olympians! I had no idea the IOC dropped it. I guess all those European videos on Youtube showing 300 meter prone centrefire rifle are all thanks to the German based ISSF.
Maybe??

Man, I am really out of touch fellas!
David Levene

Re: Well go figure!

Post by David Levene »

Karas wrote:Fre@king Olympians! I had no idea the IOC dropped it.
Man, I am really out of touch fellas!
Yes, you are somewhat. The last time 300m was shot in the Olympics was 40 years ago ;-)
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

Center fire silhouette matches are moderately popular and at least it is outside. Targets range from 200M to 500M, all offhand position. I don't shoot the high power silhouette, but I shoot the smallbore, and it is a nice change from indoor 10M air. I have all the equipment for high power, but lack time.
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

You'll find the epicentre of 300 mt shooting is in Switzerland. They have many ranges with electronic targets, in England we have one at Bisley. My wife and I would love to do it but Bisley is too far for us so we shoot NRA (Palma style) prone locally 300mt, 500yds and 600yds with 7.62 and 1500 gm triggers!
I've just built my wife a rifle using an Australian 7.62 Sportco action and barrel in an ex Malcolm Cooper 300 mt Walther GX1 stock, still with the stickers from Souel '78 world championships, and Oulu, the European Championships in Finland in '81, a piece of 300 mt History! If you guys on the other side of the pond don't know the late great Malcolm Cooper, just google his name, he won world titles and records in the 70's and 80's, he still holds all the UK records set in '86! In the days when every one shot a proper rifle, 7.62 (.308W) not this 6 mm stuff for wimps!
My wife was in the UK squad with him 30 years ago and she's expecting to hear voices and get divine guidance when she shoots the rifle!
Enjoy your 300 mt!
Good shooting
Robin
Jason

Post by Jason »

There's a monthly 300 metre match at the Minneapolis Rifle Club. They actually shoot all year long as they have an insulated/heated firing line and electronic targets. Check out http://minnesotarifleshooting.blogspot.ca/ for regular reports.

Jason
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Jason wrote:There's a monthly 300 metre match at the Minneapolis Rifle Club. They actually shoot all year long as they have an insulated/heated firing line and electronic targets. Check out http://minnesotarifleshooting.blogspot.ca/ for regular reports.

Jason
Go on, rub it in! Heated/insulated/ electronic targets, us who shoot on rubbish military shingle covered out door ranges, are we jealous? You bet we are!
Enjoy your shooting,
Robin
melina

Post by melina »

It may not be an Olympic sport anymore, but it is in the World Shooting Championships every 4 years, for both men and women. Prone and sport 3P for women; prone, free 3P, and standard 3P for men. Next time is Granada, Spain in 2014.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

I am totally hooked on the High Power Silhouette game after the past year. Breaking the shot on a Ram at 550 yards and watching as it falls away and then hearing that CLANG ring back a second later. That just puts lead in your pencil I'll tell ya! If you have never tried silhouette of any kind for rifles I would suggest it highly. Now I am shooting 3 air classes, 2 smallbore and 2 high power classes. Master in 3 making my way in the 2 smallbore and just getting going in HP so classified as A in Std. and AA in Hunter.

If you like pure shooting fun that challenges you but gives you more fun than punching holes in paper give it a try. Like old school gallery shooting. As one member says "It's not that they're hard to hit, they are just really easy to miss" :) What would have been a 8 or even 9 ring shot on paper is a miss completely.

Bo
gerhard

For RobinC and all who like the 300m

Post by gerhard »

We have a 300m range in the West north of France near Clermont.
We organize a match with the NRA of England, look the pictures of this event years : http://www.photostir.fr/ClermontCreilNRA2012.html

But if you want to compet with us in next august at 300m and also in 50m all on electronics targets look the pictures of the past year : http://www.photostir.fr/GPP_2011.html
You can also look at the installations.

You must to reserv a place beacause many people from europe are coming.

Here is the schedule : on http://www.gpp300.fr/

Carabine 50m + 300m
Mercredi 15 Aout - Séries à 11h / 14h / 16h
Vendredi 17 Aout - Séries à 11h / 14h / 16h
Samedi 18 aout - Séries à 9h / 10h45 / 13h15 / 15h / 16h45
Dimanche 19 Aout - Séries à 8h15 / 10h / 11h45 / 13h30 / 15h15
Tarifs : 300m : Adultes : 20€ / Jeunes : 10€

Tarifs 50m : Adultes : 15€ / Jeunes : 10€

Renseignements : Michel Goberville - mgoberville@wanadoo.fr

Hope to see you soon, and if you are comming dont forget to drop a mail to me I was happy to speak a little with you.

Best regards
kilowhiskey

Silhouette vs ISSF/NRA targets

Post by kilowhiskey »

I attached a few drawings which show silhouette targets scaled to 50 yards on same sheet of paper as A-23 or A-51 targets. Generally speaking, a 9 ring shot will tip a silhouette target, even compared to the A-23 "bucket bull."
A good sport, makes rifle shooters stand on their hind hooves the way humans are supposed to.
Attachments
A-51 letter size replica with ram Model (1).pdf
(39.48 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
A-51 letter size replica with chicken Model (1).pdf
(36.03 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
A-51 letter size replica with Pig Model (1).pdf
(38.43 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
A-51 letter size replica with Turkey Model (1).pdf
(38.2 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
A-23 with chicken Model (1).pdf
(24.88 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
snipertactics11

Post by snipertactics11 »

Hey, off topic, you guys should check out the remington 700 series
corning

Post by corning »

Your other option would be to take up long range/Palma shooting. A 300mm fullbore gun should work fine, in the US and most likely internationally, as long as it is .223 or .308 caliber. There are/used to be some regulations regarding weight of the rifle and trigger pull weight. Since I haven't shot in Canada since 2004, I have lost track of the specifics. Palma is recognized in numerous commonwealth countries, and the USA, and every 4 years or so, is the format of the world championships. International fullbore (long range) is at distances of 300 meters (or 300 yards) out to 900 meters (or 1000 yards). The Palma match is 800 yards, 900 yards, and 1000 yards (or 700, 800, or 900 meters) with 15 shots for record at each distance. Give it a whirl, it's fun.

John
Karas

I have a 700 Varmint

Post by Karas »

snipertactics11 wrote:Hey, off topic, you guys should check out the remington 700 series
I do like my Remington 700 Varmint (LH) and ergonomically it suites me fine.
However my Wichita 1375 (LH bolt LH port) with it's iron Central peep sights and the 1 in 13 twist Krieger barrel just outshoots the factory Remington by easily one half MOA better at 300 meters. And the Varmint has a NF NXS 12-42 perched on top of it! I strongly suspect that if I mounted good optics on the Wichita, it would soundly trounce the factory Remington by at least a full MOA better average.
Both are chambered in 308 Winchester.
Last edited by Karas on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karas

Post by Karas »

Personally I have shot at Bull Meadow, Nova Scotia out to 800 meters & once at Homestead at out to 900 meters. I enjoy LR shooting just fine.
But to drive 8 hours south to compete on a regular basis is another thing indeed.
I am the junior guy in my shop and lacking seniority it's hard sometimes to get away when I wish. I have partly resolved this issue. Once a year about a dozen of us Albertans get together in rural north eastern Alberta for an informal rifle shoot each July. Out to 1050 yards. Now it's not a "bona fide" match but it serves a purpose for several of us like minded rifle enthusiasts. My match desire gets scratched about three times a year, during the warmer months in neighboring northern Saskatchewan, where I shoot FP in Prince Albert & the Battlefords. My Hammerli Model 150 pistol and the Wichita 1375 rifle see alot of trigger time.

This year I'm dragging two rifle shooting buddies with me to north eastern Alberta.

Cheers!
Karas

Post by Karas »

RobinC wrote:You'll find the epicentre of 300 mt shooting is in Switzerland. They have many ranges with electronic targets, in England we have one at Bisley. My wife and I would love to do it but Bisley is too far for us so we shoot NRA (Palma style) prone locally 300mt, 500yds and 600yds with 7.62 and 1500 gm triggers!
I've just built my wife a rifle using an Australian 7.62 Sportco action and barrel in an ex Malcolm Cooper 300 mt Walther GX1 stock, still with the stickers from Souel '78 world championships, and Oulu, the European Championships in Finland in '81, a piece of 300 mt History! If you guys on the other side of the pond don't know the late great Malcolm Cooper, just google his name, he won world titles and records in the 70's and 80's, he still holds all the UK records set in '86! In the days when every one shot a proper rifle, 7.62 (.308W) not this 6 mm stuff for wimps!
My wife was in the UK squad with him 30 years ago and she's expecting to hear voices and get divine guidance when she shoots the rifle!
Enjoy your 300 mt!
Good shooting
Robin
There is one Swiss Rifle Club very near Homestead range just west of Calgary Alberta. They have a wonderful 300 meter range but forbid anyone to shoot any rifle other than the Sig carbine PE90 in 5.56mm or the K31 rifle & that's it. In pistol matches they only shoot the Sig 210 service handgun. There is NO pistol matches for the excellent Swiss made Morinis & Hammerlis. That kind of irks me a bit, but it's thier own club, & thier own rules. Malcolm Cooper is known by serious rifle enthusiasts here. He also designed the current British Army sniper rifle if I remember correctly.

Cheers.....