Pardini gt 45 not working well with LSWC

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

montster

Pardini gt 45 not working well with LSWC

Post by montster »

This is a new to me pistol. Functioned great with smooth jacketed bullets. However with LSWC the ejected round is hanging up on the edge of the wad cutter bullet. Maybe 1 in 15 gets stuck it happens more often with the last round.

Anybody having success with wad cutters in this pistol?

Would new mags be a possible fix with tighter lips that hold the bullet n the mag a little more nose down?

Thanks for any help. Regards. Monty
Rover

Post by Rover »

Many moons ago while shooting at Camp Perry, I had a similar problem.

I was discussing the problem with my roommate in the hut (randomly assigned there).

Being an airplane sheet metal worker he offered a solution. Warning me that the magazine lips were extremely delicate and fussy, he placed the end of the magazine against the metal bed frame and taking a full arm swing with a heavy boot, brought the heel down with a resounding smack on the "delicate" lips.

The mag worked great after that.
Gort

Post by Gort »

The two Pardini GT-45's that I have worked with have a very short throat in the barrel. Bullets that are seated with more than a mm of the cylindrical portion of the exposed will not work well. A H&G 68 style bullet seated with the bearing surface almost flush with the case mouth works well.
Gort
fc60

Pardini Malfunction

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

My GT-45 does the same thing. The fired case extracts, the rim catches on the shoulder of a SWC bullet, and the case returns to the chamber with the new bullet jammed in the end of it.

I tried to adjust the lips on one magazine and they broke.

My next plan is to to anneal the magazine lips, adjust them, then heat treat them again. I have been too busy to take this task on.

Perhaps PardiniUSA could be of some help?

On a side note, the barrel diameter of my gun is 0.450". Bullets sized to 0.452" have to be seated deep in the case to allow proper chambering. I have tinkered with 0.451" and 0.450" sizing dies; but, not enough to offer a proper evaluation.

Cheers,

Dave
sobakavitch

Post by sobakavitch »

. . . .
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
montster

Update on things tried

Post by montster »

Thanks for all the advice.
Tried 200 grain penn lswc with 4/4.2/4.4 grains of bullseye. Shot 30 some rounds of each. No problem.
Tried 200 grain Magnus lswc with 4 grains bullseye. Shot 60 and had 2 jams. Case is sititing right on top of the round in the magazine. I loaded a seasons worth of these for this year for 25 yard line so I wanted to make this work.
Penn and Magnus rounds look exactly alike. Same oal, same profile. Puzzling.

Next step is to try a new light and medium spring. If that does not show result then I might confirm the penn bullet and charge level for reliability. Make the switch for this pistol possibly.

Again thanks for the help. I will be at the cavalier match and will look up the pardini users. Now know there are 2 of you.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

I had the same issue with my colt, turned out to be a weak magazine spring.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

MY PArdini GT-45 functined flawlessly with the 185 gr. Star LSWCHP seated with a base to shoulder length of 0.935". The only issue was that it would eject the brass directly overhead. i used 3.8 gr. HS-700X for 25 yards and 3.8 gr. VV N-310 for 50 yards.