Using target pistol for self defense ????

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

daotoys1

Using target pistol for self defense ????

Post by daotoys1 »

This might seem like a stupid question but Id like to get some opinions about the use of various target pistols for general self defense applications.

If a person had a few target pistols at home ( like a 22 LR, 32 S&W Long WC and 38 WC calibers ), could in an emergency any of these pistols make an effective self defense weapon?

Im wanting opinions on this topic to show my wife the relative value of owning target pistols for sport, in that they may have some limited application in a self defense role should there not be any other weapons on hand.

How would rimfire and centerfire target pistols and ammo compare to say a 380 or 9mm self defense oriented pistol?

Any replies are welcomed

:)
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

In a pinch, any of those calibers could be used for self defense, although outside of the .38 WC they would be considered marginal. The safety arrangements on some target pistols would make them a dubious choice in any case.

Why the need for justification anyway? Does your wife justify shoe purchases by saying that in a pinch, you could hurl a shoe at an intruder in self defense? Why not justify the ownership of BE equipment as something that makes a hubby happy and a happy hubby is happy to do things around the house to keep a happy wifey?

Of course, I was married once and divorced once, so my relationship advice may not be worth much ...

Roger
k9jri

Post by k9jri »

I well placed .22LR will certainly be effective. I know I would rather be missed by a .45 than hit by a .22.

Mike
daotoys1

Post by daotoys1 »

k9jri wrote:I well placed .22LR will certainly be effective. I know I would rather be missed by a .45 than hit by a .22.

Mike
My thoughts exactly.....a 22LR head shot would do well. Thats one of the reasons a silenced 22LR assassins gun is a popular item. The 22LR shot into the head has a tendency to bounce around inside the skull tearing up the brain rather than making a through and through shot that may actually cause less tissue damage. The 22LR can also be subsonic as well as silenced to minimize the sound level of the shot. A top of the line target 22LR would be inherently quite accurate as well.

The 38 WC should have a very good accuracy as well as punch up to 50 meters I would guess?

thanks for the replies
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

About the .22 "head shot" - when a pro gives a mook two in the hat, it's up close and personal and the muzzle is more or less perpendicular to the skull. In a self defense situation, the rule is to aim for center of mass. Attempting a head shot is generally considered a bad idea because the head moves much more quickly than the center of mass. And especially with the .22, a shot well off of perpendicular is liable to glance off the skull.

The .38 WC was used as a self defense round for a while - I think the thinking was that the WC tip delivered more of the energy to the target than a pass-through shot. With target loads, the muzzle energy is going to be lower than in a +P load, but it's still way more energy than a .22 and in a good target gun the recovery for a double tap should be excellent.

If you really want to convince the missus that the guns you have are viable for self and home defense, see if you can find a course locally. Knowledge of the law and tactics are much more important than caliber anyway.

Roger
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I would tend to go in the other direction telling everyone how the target pistols I shoot are poor self defense firearms. They can be dangerous if used improperly, however, no one would use one for self defense if a "regular" protection pistol or shotgun was available.

How many rounds have all of us shot and never hurt anyone?

To keep one of your target pistols ready for defense means keeping the spring in the magazine depressed indefinitely. It is much cheaper to replace parts in an actual protection pistol or revolver. Also, some of my target pistols have no safety so keeping a round in the chamber is dangerous. I would recommend finding another reason for the better half to want a target pistol in her home.
Ben
daotoys1

Post by daotoys1 »

RandomShotz wrote:About the .22 "head shot" - when a pro gives a mook two in the hat, it's up close and personal and the muzzle is more or less perpendicular to the skull. In a self defense situation, the rule is to aim for center of mass. Attempting a head shot is generally considered a bad idea because the head moves much more quickly than the center of mass. And especially with the .22, a shot well off of perpendicular is liable to glance off the skull.

The .38 WC was used as a self defense round for a while - I think the thinking was that the WC tip delivered more of the energy to the target than a pass-through shot. With target loads, the muzzle energy is going to be lower than in a +P load, but it's still way more energy than a .22 and in a good target gun the recovery for a double tap should be excellent.

If you really want to convince the missus that the guns you have are viable for self and home defense, see if you can find a course locally. Knowledge of the law and tactics are much more important than caliber anyway.

Roger

Actually I already own a large collection of military and self defense pistols and rifles. I also own a nice collection of target pistols and rifles. Its just that my wife being a very peace loving soul is not very comfortable around guns made to actually hurt and /or kill people. My wife is somewhat OK with the idea of having target guns for sport however. What Im hoping to do is to get my wife to see that a target pistol could double for self defense if need be. Im wanting her to learn how to shoot, and if she likes the sport then Ill either buy her a few target pistols or at least give her some of mine to shoot. If/when she becomes comfortable with this then Im hoping that she will be OK with the idea of her having a target pistol at home for her to use for self defense in an emergency. I dont think that she would ever feel OK shooting a more destructive oriented gun ( like one made for military and or self defense ).

Thanks for your comments. And I agree with you.

:)
BenEnglishTX

Jeff Cooper addressed this

Post by BenEnglishTX »

This is coming from memory since I can't lay my hands on my copy at the moment, but in Cooper on Handguns, the Colonel addressed the question of "What handgun should I use for self-defense?"

His reply was a question - "Do you shoot regularly for fun? If so, use that."

His point was that under the stress of a life-or-death situation, total unconscious familiarity with the gun in your hand was worth far, far more than any theoretical advantage to be gained by obtaining a purpose-built defensive firearm.

I have a couple of .38 revolvers built for wadcutters. I wouldn't hesitate to use them for defensive purposes. Some of us old-timers actually think that .38 wadcutters are valid self-defense loads for snubbies. We generally cite three reasons. First, at or near contact distance, they have enough velocity and certainly enough bullet mass to reach the vitals. Second, they cut a full-diameter hole. Third and particularly important in the ultralight firearms commonly available nowadays, recoil is manageable in even the smallest, lightest revolver.

The OP asked for opinions, so here's mine - target pistols can "in an emergency ... make an effective self defense weapon".

As for the OP request for a comparison to the .380 or 9mm, a .38WC is reasonably comparable. The .22 and .32 aren't, given their reduced power levels.

If you shoot your S&W 14 or Ruger .22 as a hobby so often that they become an extension of your arm and their operation is completely automatic to you, then they would serve as defensive pistols in a way far superior to virtually any other firearm that you simply buy, load, and toss in a drawer in case you need it someday.

Well, that's my opinion and it's worth exactly what I charged for it.
Orion

Re: Using target pistol for self defense ????

Post by Orion »

daotoys1 wrote:This might seem like a stupid question but Id like to get some opinions about the use of various target pistols for general self defense applications.

If a person had a few target pistols at home ( like a 22 LR, 32 S&W Long WC and 38 WC calibers ), could in an emergency any of these pistols make an effective self defense weapon?
Well, first I would reach for the pistol which sights adjust the easiest, a few clicks down on my Hammerli 208, some CCI SV 0035, and a proper stance...
peterz

Post by peterz »

The gun you are most comfortable with is best. Better to get a clean shot Striking near something vital than to miss with a .45 ACP. Sure, buy expanding ammo for the marginal extra pain it will cause. Your aim will likely be better with that kind of gun than one you rarely shoot 'cause the trigger is rough or whyever it is that you don't shoot it regularly.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

The potential problem with using a .22 target pistol for self defense is the 2.5 lb trigger. Granted, if you have a lot of experience with the gun you are used to the trigger. But in a self defense situation, with an adrenaline rush and a racing pulse, I think the 4 lb trigger in a purpose built self defense gun is a better way to go.
sobakavitch

Post by sobakavitch »

. . . .
Last edited by sobakavitch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yana

Post by yana »

LOL! Wouldnt think of use any of my (target)pistols for self defense. If I dó I loose all my firearms and licences!
I agree that the light trigger isnt an advantage for stressfull self defense situations.
jonnypunk

Post by jonnypunk »

k9jri wrote:I well placed .22LR will certainly be effective. I know I would rather be missed by a .45 than hit by a .22.

Mike
I agree with you!!! absolutely its really effective!!!

Post by madison11 »

I've been using this target pistol as my self defense, for almost 2 years.

Post by RandomShotz »

johnnypunk & madison11:

SPAM!!
wv109323

Target Pistol for SD

Post by wv109323 »

I read am article that was done by a person that had researched gun wounds for many years. His findings was that one "well placed shot" stopped like 95% of intruders and gun battles irregardless of pistol caliber used.
He used a shot to the vital organs or head as his definition as a well placed shot. His statistics showed that the .22 long rifle was just as effective as a .44 Mag.
The mortality rate was higher with the larger calibers but one effective shot lead to the prep retreating or dying.
So I would use what I thought I could deliver an effective hit with. But I like the largest of the ones you mentioned.
Allshooting

Post by Allshooting »

We have about two inch wooden target frames in our range. I think 22lr goes thru them, but all 38WCs do not.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Allshooting wrote:We have about two inch wooden target frames in our range. I think 22lr goes thru them, but all 38WCs do not.
Maximum penetration isn't always the best choice for defense if one of your kids is sleeping in the room beyond the target.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I never really thought of a self defense gun as a "gun to kill with", but rather a gun to keep from being killed.

A target gun is better than throwing a vase at an intruder but otherwise is not as good for many reasons.