Sub-six sight picture consistency?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
A74BEDLM

Post by A74BEDLM »

An optician sent me a .25 and .50 lens to put in front of my shooting lens (I currently don't use them as the lens I got from a local optician is focussed on the rear sight) so that I can attempt to find a better lens solution. I need to test them at the range but so far dry firing the 0.25 diopter without the lens is best. I think the fact that my eyes can change focus very quickly (accomodation reflex) between target, rear and foresight means that they do. Its like I try to do a quick double check of foresight position relative to target before I operate the trigger. I think sometimes having excellent 20/20 vision is a hinderance in pistol shooting.

I have some process work to practice and hopefully a new lens will deter me from "double checking" as target will be blurred and so accept hold and allow trigger to operate.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

A74BEDLM wrote: I have some process work to practice and hopefully a new lens will deter me from "double checking" as target will be blurred and so accept hold and allow trigger to operate.
One way to stop your 'double checking' is to start operating the trigger before you reach your settle point. That is - align sights, take up the first stage, and as you start to enter your aiming area start increasing trigger pressure. The effort of maintaining sight alignment while continuing to increase trigger pressure will keep your mind from worrying about extraneous issues.
tleddy

Lens power

Post by tleddy »

Hmmm... I suggest a +0.75 sph over your distance 20/20 vision Rx. That, along with your natural accommodation, should give you the front sight.

Tillman
ClearsighT (sorry. no longer in business)
A74BEDLM wrote:An optician sent me a .25 and .50 lens to put in front of my shooting lens (I currently don't use them as the lens I got from a local optician is focussed on the rear sight) so that I can attempt to find a better lens solution. I need to test them at the range but so far dry firing the 0.25 diopter without the lens is best. I think the fact that my eyes can change focus very quickly (accomodation reflex) between target, rear and foresight means that they do. Its like I try to do a quick double check of foresight position relative to target before I operate the trigger. I think sometimes having excellent 20/20 vision is a hinderance in pistol shooting.

I have some process work to practice and hopefully a new lens will deter me from "double checking" as target will be blurred and so accept hold and allow trigger to operate.
orionshooter

Re: don't "aim"

Post by orionshooter »

FredB wrote:
A74BEDLM wrote: I was told the optimum would be 25/50/25 and to try and reduce the width of the front sight such that it appeared marginally smaller then the black aiming mark. Again a reason for this is that as long as the foresight is under the aiming mark you are more likely to pull the trigger then if it drifts slightly left or right during your aiming.
Sorry to be blunt, but if you are using a sub-six hold, why would you even look at the "aiming mark"? And if you are using a six-o'clock hold, switch to sub-six or center.

BTW, the correct term for "aiming mark" is "distraction mark".

FredB

Well said Fred.
sakurama

Post by sakurama »

Is the idea of a deep sub 6 that it's more like firing at a blank target? You can't possibly measure the distance (like the equal space photo shown earlier) so you simply settle into a comfortable a space that becomes consistent over time?

I ask because it was suggested I try sub 6 and I've been working on it for the past week or so and I am getting much better groupings but not always consistent. With 10m air pistol I managed 7 shots inside the 10 and the rest in the 9 with one on the 8 - by far my best result. The trouble is the next day I might have a similar tight group but in 7 below the bull. The X in AP is one pellet width - not huge.

I tried a pair of +1.25 reading glasses which keep me from being able to see the bull sharply and I widened the gap of my rear site so I could try that previous site picture (with a very blurry bull) but it seems that maybe sub 6 is something that takes a thousand or more (many more?) rounds to simply find that place that's comfortable. When I forget about the target and just concentrate on the front site is when I drill the X but it is a hard exercise to repeat with perfect consistency (obviously). Sub 6 seems to be the zen way of shooting.

Just trying to make sure I'm on the right track.
SMBeyer

Post by SMBeyer »

The idea of the deep sub six is to get your focus off the bull and on the front sight. Remember the important stuff is happening up here at the front sight not down there at the bull. You can't and don't want to measure the distance you will find your spot, it doesn't have to be perfect it just has to be good. It takes time you will find it.

If you have been working on it for a week and are seeing better groups then it's working keep at it. If you are keeping your shots in the 9 ring you are going to score well. If you come back the next day and are shooting low adjust the sights till you get the group centered just be willing to adjust back if and when needed.

As far as the glasses go you want a lense that allows you to focus on the front sight as easily as possible. If you use a lense simply to make the bull fuzzy it is probably the wrong one to make the front sight clear. Thats not to say you cant make the front sight clear but eventually your eye will get tired and then you wont be focusing on anything.
When I forget about the target and just concentrate on the front site is when I drill the X
That is the Holy Grail of pistol shooting!! Just keep doing that more often. Sounds like your are heading the right direction. Scott
mika

Post by mika »

My problem with the front sight focus is related to RF and especially the 4 s string. Moving fast between the targets, I find it difficult to stop at the right place on the "fuzzy blob" and all too often end up focusing on the targets just to see where they are... And there is no time to focus back. If I make the mistake, the focus is there at the target bank for the rest of the shots.

Of course this has nothing to do with sub 6 hold. Hmm. But sight focus anyway... Do you use any tricks to keep from focusing on the targets or is it simply about more practice?