IZH-35M-Strengths and known weaknesses, what say you?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Amanda4461

IZH-35M-Strengths and known weaknesses, what say you?

Post by Amanda4461 »

Howdy, I just received a new-to-me IZH35M with three mags, tools, scope mount and it appears in near-new condition. Made in 2001. Alterations include using new hardened Hex head screws to replace the slot screws in the barrel shroud (I did this today).
Before I shoot it, any problem areas to watch for? Does it need SV ammo, or will it even matter? I have 10 different SV ammo makes to try, and a few HV.
The real problem, parts. Anybody know of a good sourse for springs, little screws in th trigger, sight parts, etc? I can find mags, if I wish to pay through the nose for them.
Thanks for your help!
Amanda
Clintw

IZH35m

Post by Clintw »

There have been previous posts on this forum and others about headspace issues on the bolt causing slam fires. My recollection was the problem was attributed to a bolt metal too soft. The solution was to deepen, slightly the rim depth. I've also seen posts requesting replacement extractors. I believe both problems could come from using HV ammo. I see absolutely no reason to use HV ammo in these target guns when there are so many good SV ammos available.

My '99 35m was bought used and has never given me any problems. It doesn't get that much use as bounce between other pistols. Overall, it's very functional and is not picky about SV ammo.

Within the last year, there was a poster on this site or the now defunct Bullseye-L site offering 35m magazines for about $45. It seemed reasonable and I now have four. Why? The magazines are the stoutest I have ever seen and could not imagine any problems with them. I did have to trim the lower rear edge to allow it to seat beneath the release.

Overall, happy with the 35m and would not use anything but SV. Keep your eye out for spare parts, they originally came with a small bottle of spare springs and parts. None needed yet.

Clint
Amanda4461

IZH35M

Post by Amanda4461 »

Clintw-Thanks for the info. I think I got lucky. Got the IZH sighted in for 25M. Over 500 rounds today, no stutters, doubles, misfires or other bad mojo. While I do not like the grip safety, I DO like the sights and the fabulous trigger. It doesn't group half bad either, considering I shot the groups. I put it up against my Victor and Pardini. Victor lost. IZH came in 2nd. Not too bad considering the Victor and the IZH cost me the same $$. The big surprise was ammo preference. I use Wolf ME as a baseline. Most ammo groups worse than ME in any of my guns. This is the first pistol that I have used Aguila Golden Eagle in, and found it to meet or, in this case, exceed the grouping ability of Wolf ME. Lucky me:-) Aguila costs much less than ME. I am now wondering if the IZH will show a marked improvement with an UltraDot. I know I shoot better scores with one, so I'll hook one up. You are right about the magazines. They are like little steel bricks. Tough gun, and it makes even me look good. And yes, I know I pulled up on the "9". Nothing unusual there.
Amanda4461
Attachments
IZH35M M019401B Aguila Golden Eagle 25M.jpg
IZH35M M019401B Aguila Golden Eagle 25M.jpg (28.1 KiB) Viewed 5361 times
IZH35M M019401B Wolf ME 25M.jpg
IZH35M M019401B Wolf ME 25M.jpg (28.49 KiB) Viewed 5361 times
tenex

Post by tenex »

I've seen several (including mine) double. I measured the headspace and it did look a little thin (measured 0.041"). EAA fixed mine by reaming a slight recess in the barrel, they didn't touch the bolt. Shoots great.

Steve.

P.S. Mine doubled worse with Federal ammo, but they all did it to some degree.
Tzed250

Post by Tzed250 »

Here is the post I made a while back about my IZh-35m headspace issues.
Tzed250 wrote:
Tzed250 wrote:My IZH had a habbit of doubling every once in a while. It doubled consistently with Federal 711B. After reading several articles on the subject, I decided to examine the gun. I stripped the pistol and used a 10X Coddinton magnifier to check the bolt face. Sure enough, it had quite a bit of peening. A few careful minutes with an X-acto knife and a stone removed the burrs. I took it to the range and fired about 200 rounds. No doubling, but there were two failures to eject. I blamed this on chilly temps (about 55 deg.). Another trip to the range, this time with temps in the mid 70s, showed perfect functioning. I will report more when the pistol has more rounds through it.
This is a post I made almost two years ago. I hadn't been able to shoot much since then, but now range access and a group to shoot with has become available.

As soon as I started to put more rounds through my IZH the doubling problem returned. I tried adjusting the trigger, cleaning, different ammo, and even the O-ring buffer in an attempt to make the pistol reliable. No go.

I then measured the headspace for the cartridge rim on the bolt. It measured .040". This was done by using a 1" micrometer across the top and bottom of the bolt face. I knew this was insufficient. The problem is getting a tool to the bolt face to cut the recess for the rim. I ended up finding an old .5" reamer. I cut the fluted section from the tool, then chucked the body in a lathe where I drilled and reamed a .375 bore to hold a 17/64 (.266) four-flute center-cutting end-mill. The .5" reamer was a MT1 mount, so with a MT1-MT2 adapter I was able to mount it in my drill press.

This tool length gave me the ability to reach the bolt face while clearing the rest of the bolt.

The end-mill is shown here:

The following pictures show the bolt face after machining. The headspace was increased to .046". The firing pin is shown in the ready and fire positions.

On Sunday I went to the range and fired a mix of Remington Subsonic, Remington 22 Target, and Eley Sport, all ammo that had doubled in the pistol previously.

After 300 rounds of slow and rapid fire the pistol did not double one time.
I hope that this has put the reliability of the IZH where it should be, and I will monitor the headspace to ensure it does not enter back into the danger zone.

Questions and comments are welcome.

John.

tuj

Post by tuj »

The IZH-35m is my favorite gun. Mine recently developed the doubling issue and is headed off to EAA for the headspace fix. Doubling is one problem with these guns. Another is that the extractor can get a bit dirty; I use a dental pick to clean it out and make sure its moving freely. Finally another shooter I know shot enough rounds to wear his ejector out, so the metallurgy of the guns is not particularly great, but they are sweet shooters.

I have heard of another fix for the doubling issue where one welds some new metal to the bolt face and then machines a recess similar to the EAA fix. I believe this process is perhaps more durable.
crankythunder

Dear Amanda

Post by crankythunder »

I have had a izzy for about five years and have had the doubling problem as discussed above. Should it develop in yours, from what I hear, EAA is still repairing them for free (minus shipping) by boring a little bit on the breach face thus alowing the bullet to seat a little more deeper into the breach.

I have also tried a lot of ammo in mine, and used to use CCI SV until i noticed that the bullets started varying in diameter, thus catching on the mag lips and causing alibi's with failure to feeds. Wolf MT works good in mine but I do not like all the wolf snot lubricant on my hands during competition. My current competition ammo is Eley Sport which does not have the slimey lubricant of wolf but is just as accurate.

There is another way to cure the doubling problem as told to me by my former gunsmith. He used to weld a small bead of high strenght rod on the breach above the chamber and then filed it down to the proper headspace. This fix keeps the bolt just a little farter away from the breach so the slam fire does not occur. It also requires some trigger adjustment as well but from what I have learned from myself and other shooters is that sooner or later all izzy's are going to slam fire, which is a result of the soft steel on the breach, and that the only permanent fix is the high strength welding rod on the breach.

Magazines:

I have heard that the Smith and Wesson 10 round 22 and 22a magazines can be used in the izh 35m with a little bit of gunsmithing but have not tried this as of yet. Please follow this link:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=405783

Let me know if you try it and if the SW mags work.

Regards,
Cranky
Amanda4461

IZH35M

Post by Amanda4461 »

Cranky--
I bought 6 niw mags off ebay for $25 each, so my 10 ought to last me. They work 100%. I shoot Aguila Pistol Match, and so far, no issues other than I hate the grip safety. The two Izzy's I have are accurate and reliable so far. Too bad they don't make them or import more. Thanks to all for the doubling details, just in case mine develops that issue.
Amanda4461
crankythunder

whoa!!!!!!

Post by crankythunder »

you hit the mother lode for mags for the izzy!

congrats and your lucky I did not know about them or you would have had some stiff competition! I have paid more for half!

I did get a sw 22a mag and modified it and it works ok in the izzy. no malfunctions as of yet but it has a little more slop then the original magazines.

Keep up the good shooting and I hope to find myself competing next to you shortly! if you ever find your self up this way, track me down, we have a spot on the line for ya!

Regards,
Cranky[/quote]