revolver for bullseye

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

firefirst

revolver for bullseye

Post by firefirst »

what one would do the job the best, I know it will need some work but what one???? maker/Cal would it have to be 45
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

You would need a .45 for the 45 part but a 32 on up for the centerfire. A K38 for centerfire is the most used because it is accurate and the price is reasonable. Any of the K frames would be OK also but make sure it doesn't hit your middle finger on the trigger guard because for some people it is quite bothersome. A 586 or 686 would be the next choice, and the 28 or 27 would be after that. I like the fit of a 27 and 28 but have trouble getting them to be accurate. A Python is also OK but expensive and heavy unless you like the weight. A 25 Smith can be used for the 45 portion and were until the 1911's finally were made accurate enough to compete. The only reason to do any of this is for fun only or practice for the Revolver matches at Perry. Otherwise a 1911 is easier to get higher scores with and you only need it and a .22.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Your only choice is a S&W Model 25 (or 625) in .45 ACP, but THAT would also use .45 Auto Rim, a better cartridge when reloading.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

In the late 1950's and 1960's I shot an early post WWII Colt Officers Model which was modifed to a short single action and it was a solid performer. The gun was modified by a gunsmith in norhtern NJ who also made a similar 45ACP revolver using a military Colt New Service in 45 ACP and equIpped it with a short single action and a sleeved barrel with a comp. They were the choice of bullseye psitol shooters in northern NJ at that time. Personally I can handle the recoil from a 45 ACP revolver easier than from a 45ACP semi auto.
Last edited by TonyT on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levergun59

Re: revolvers for Bullseye

Post by Levergun59 »

I knew a mailman who practiced all the time at work. He put it in a hand muff as he walked between houses and you could hear the 'click, click,click', ect as he walked. Most revolver shooters used a special grip with a thumb rest and a hammer extension. It was a very short distance between the thumb and the extension but the trick was to reset the trigger very fast for rapid fire.
Chris
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

When shooting Distinguished Revolver matches you can't have a hammer extension but can in all other events. Ease of cocking is why I like the 27-28's and don't like the Python as well. I think it is important also to have a target hammer because since it is heavier the hit can be lighter without causing a misfire. Also it is easier to to catch with the thumb.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

That gunsmith in norhtern NJ also modified the factory hammer spur to provide better ergonomics for the thumb. I wish I had kept a photo of that Colt OM 38 which I sold last year. I can attest that it was a real sweet shooter.
Misny

Post by Misny »

The S&W model 625 seems to be accurate out-of-the-box. The good model 25's are good, but some have oversize charge holes.
penman53

bullseye revolvers

Post by penman53 »

I just bought a K38 and I truly love it. The stock grips left much to be desired but once I put on a set of Houge target grips I was off and running. Can't wait to mend from my thyroid surgery so I can go out and shoot it again.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

penman53

What series is it. Look at the frame under the cylinder arm. and it will say 14-1, -2.
dlb

Post by dlb »

I've just posted a sale in B/S/T for a nice Model 14-2 w/ Herrett's stocks, if anyone is interested. It should show up on the forum soon.