New member with Pardini SP 22... hints, tips?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Jacko

New member with Pardini SP 22... hints, tips?

Post by Jacko »

Quick introduction first since I'm new here. I'm Jacko and I'm an Australian target pistol shooter. I shoot ISSF matches. I've just bought a new Pardini SP 22 (mechanical trigger, Standard model.) I mostly shoot Standard Pistol and Sport Pistol (or 25m Pistol or whatever it's called now. No, I'm not female, but I don't have a centrefire pistol.) I also shoot Rapid Fire, Free Pistol and Air Pistol. I've been shooting for years on and off but using my dad's pistols; this is the first one I've ever owned.

I've naturally Googled quite a bit about my new pistol and most of the good results were here, so I've joined up. In the end I was specifying this site only when Googling so I've read most of the posts relating to Pardinis.

I've only taken it out once so far. Needless to say I'll be hitting the range as often as possible now. I have keys to the pistol club and a week off work... perfect!

I'm wondering if anyone has any hints, tips or advice regarding the Pardini. Cleaning, adjusting, anything really. As you may know, gun laws here are very restrictive (especially for handguns) so I don't have as many peers as I would like. The majority of shooters in Australia are rifle shooters and predominantly they are hunters. I joined here to get some advice and to learn from others who have similar interests to myself.

I'm experienced but relatively sheltered so I look forward to learning from everyone here!
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

jacko,
First of all welcome to the group.
I purchased my Pardini SP-22 ca 8 to 10 years ago. I have never adjusted the trigger since I found it to be very satisfactory. I have always used Wolf Atch Targer/SKJagd Pistol Match ammo in mine. A fellow shooter runs RWS Target and the Aguilla SE Std velocity ammo. Mine has functioned flawlessly. I did experience a broken firing pin after ca 8000 to 10000 rounds.
Previosly I had shiot an old Walther Olympia RF pistol, then a S&W Model 41 and a Walther GSP. I found that I preferred thPardini Sp with less weight up front.
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

Thanks TonyT.

I am considering taking some weight off the front just to see how it goes. I'm relatively happy with the balance the way it is, but it's worth a try.

I'll have to investigate what ammo is available here; no doubt it will be different to what is available in the US. I bought a few different boxes. I already had a brick of CCI Standard, which is the most commonly used (and one of the cheapest) ammo available here, but I didn't want to be stuck if the Pardini didn't like it. I got three boxes of various German target pistol ammo and one box of Eley. The weather got me while I was still using the CCI but next time I'll see how it goes. Plenty of people here talk about Wolf ammo but I've never heard of it.

I was looking at a Walther GSP Expert .22 but ended up deciding on the Pardini. The GSP seemed to be a bit more suited to Rapid Fire, which I only started shooting recently and am rather terrible at. Hopefully I can increase my scores across the board when I get used to the Pardini. Thanks!
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

Jacko,
My Pardini SP did not like the CCI Standard which has a fairly heavy luibe coating over the bullet. It preferred cartridges which had a light lube coating over the bullet.
Tony
trevorw

Post by trevorw »

as a new Pardini owner myself is there much needed out of the box to be done

ie: sights etc
Jacko

Post by Jacko »

TonyT wrote:Jacko,
My Pardini SP did not like the CCI Standard which has a fairly heavy luibe coating over the bullet. It preferred cartridges which had a light lube coating over the bullet.
Tony
What effect did this have? Accuracy, barrel grime, failures?

I'll have to check out if there is regional variations between these ammos. So when I'm talking to Americans about ammo, I know we're talking about the same thing.
trevorw wrote:as a new Pardini owner myself is there much needed out of the box to be done

ie: sights etc
I haven't fully sighted mine in yet. I was too keen to be put off by the weather but the rain eventually got the better of me. It was shooting high out of the box though.
Popeye

Malfunctions

Post by Popeye »

I don't own a Pardini, but I can confidently answer your question about Tony's Post!

It is all about preventing malfunctions. If a quick build up of lube around the action from rounds results in malfunctions, then you wouldn't use that ammo in matches right! Malfunctions can kill what could otherwise be a great match score - at least because of the distraction or break in concentration having to do an extra malfunction series.

Choose ammo that works well in the SP-22.

Popeye
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

TonyT wrote:Jacko,
... CCI Standard which has a fairly heavy luibe coating over the bullet...Tony
depends on the batch lot - there seems to be a big difference
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

The CCIO Standard Velocity was sufficeintly accurate but cuased malfunctiions which was attributed to the heavy layer of bullet lube. The other ammo which shot without malfunction had a much lighter application of luibricant on the lead bullet - SKJagd, RWS Target, Aguilla SE.
jerry0503222
Spammer

Post by jerry0503222 »

as a new Pardini owner myself is there much needed out of the box to be done

Pardini SP new

Post by BEA »

Nothing needs to be done other than modify the grips to fit you.