Need help with choosing used air rifle

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Abbortjern

Need help with choosing used air rifle

Post by Abbortjern »

I am looking to buy a a used air rifle. Primary purpose will be just recreational 10m target (not competitively). I do not want to deal with CO2 or PCP, just a simple pnematic or spring. It has to have decent target sights. Looks are less important, but I want something that lasts and would require minimum maintenance. Nothing made in China.

What are my best choices with budget around $5-600? If someone can point me to a specific make & model I would appreciate it. Thanks.
kevinweiho

Re: Need help with choosing used air rifle

Post by kevinweiho »

Abbortjern wrote:I am looking to buy a a used air rifle. Primary purpose will be just recreational 10m target (not competitively). I do not want to deal with CO2 or PCP, just a simple pnematic or spring. It has to have decent target sights. Looks are less important, but I want something that lasts and would require minimum maintenance. Nothing made in China.

What are my best choices with budget around $5-600? If someone can point me to a specific make & model I would appreciate it. Thanks.
With your budget, you can get a used FWB 300S or a SSP FWB 600/601.
Rover

Post by Rover »

An older Walther LGR (SSP) was the one to beat for many years. A few O-rings will whip a tired one into shape, too.

This would be if you are truly "match" shooting. For a little practice and plinking in the back yard, I can't recommend a Beeman R7 strongly enough. It's just plain fun!
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

For $100, you can buy a rebuilt Daisy Avanti 853 from the CMP. They install new seals and have the gunsmith check it over before putting it up for sale. They are single stroke pneumatic. Sights are good quality and new apertures are available from Daisy. They are a competetive 10 meter sporter class air rifle. You can add a sling if you want.
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

I have a feeling we come from the same area:

Old Walther LGRs show up here now and then; some clubs seem to be moving up to PCP and selling their singlepump and CO2 instruction guns.

HW importer Magne Landrø has lowered prices for 2011: I think HW30S or HW50S (Beeman is just rebranded HW) are nice alternatives for informal shooting: Moderate recoil and a nice "Rekord" trigger in one of the few brands that are still "the real thing". Prices start below 2000 NOK! What you don't get here is the competition peep sight which is normally included with a second hand match rifle......