What is this barrel attachment?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

laloba

What is this barrel attachment?

Post by laloba »

I am not an avid target shooter, more of a hunter, but I have a grandson who has become very interested. Recently we attended the estate auction of Jim Thorp who was the shooting instructor at Virginia Military Institute to purchase some items for my grandson. In one of the boxes we purchased is the item pictured. I am trying to find out what it is & if it is something he might need. More pictures available if needed.
Attachments
barrel attachment
barrel attachment
100_3364.JPG (54.43 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
Roodaddy600

Post by Roodaddy600 »

its a barrel tuner. It is really more complicated than what a beginner needs. Don't use it. Let your grandson learn the sport and learn to hold before you start to use anything like that.
justadude

Post by justadude »

laloba,

As Roo' notes, this is way past anything a new shooter should be working with. As you and your Grandson learn about the sport in the beginning, keep it simple, basic target rifle, sling, glove and jacket that fits helps the new shooter focus on the fundamentals of shooting. Equipment cannot make up for lack of fundamentals.

Now, about this tuner tube. Based on the screws on top it looks like it was for and older rifle (probably Anschutz 14xx or 18xx based as they are common in the US and both used screws to mount a prism block for mounting the front sight). Newer rifles tend to use a dovetail milled into the barrel to mount the front sight. Note the stickers that say 23.93mm. This would likely be the measurement for the diameter of the barrel for which this tube was intended. (0.942"). Unfortunately these things do not just swap from rifle to rifle but are specifically set up for a specific barrel.

You may want to post it in the buy,sell,trade section. Probably get the most use from it by collecting the cash.

'Dude
Barney

Post by Barney »

Its a Cicognani barrel tuner made in Italy.
This type is mainly used for benchrest shooting, but it's designed so you can screw on bloop tube on to the front of it alowing you to use it as a sight extension as well.
proneshooter

Post by proneshooter »

It is a barrel tuner with screw in bloop tube that is tapped for the front sight. I loaned it to Jim a couple of years ago for one of his shooters to try.
Oz

Post by Oz »

proneshooter wrote:It is a barrel tuner with screw in bloop tube that is tapped for the front sight. I loaned it to Jim a couple of years ago for one of his shooters to try.
Uh oh... *awk-ward* ;-)
proneshooter

Post by proneshooter »

Not really a problem. They bought it and I realized when I got the news about Jim that it would be difficult if not impossible to get anything that I loaned him returned. I just appreciate getting to know him over the years and having a couple of good stories to tell like the time I served my Chili to the team when they came to The Citadel to shoot. I understand the return trip to VMI was interesting.