Walther's new pistols LP400 and SSP-E

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ghostrip

Walther's new pistols LP400 and SSP-E

Post by ghostrip »

Courtesy of Ruig's blog http://toz35.blogspot.com/ and Guns.ru forum http://talks.guns.ru/forummessage/16/662124.html pictures of the newest additions to Walther family.
Naimed1983

Post by Naimed1983 »

Woow, Looks nice! They took a good look at the Steyr pistols.
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

its interesting. Most interesting to me is the electronic trigger in SSP and the removable butt in LG400 rifle ( like steyr air rifles). Also interesting is the fact that walther introduces new models every few years.
ruig

Post by ruig »

ghostrip wrote:Also interesting is the fact that walther introduces new models every few years.
Exactly as Feinwerbau does... May be these companies are still searching for successful model?

LP10 exists since 1997. In the same period of time Finewerkbau produced P30, P34. P40, P44. Hm...
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

The thing is LP300 after the initial period that every new pistol has to go through seemed to be a very good alternative to the LP10 - 162E, having a very distinct look and its own unique characteristics (like 300bar tanks for example). I wonder why walther took such big departure again in their design. Ruig Feinwerkbau on the other hand may finally have a good air pistol in P44 but i wonder if it is too late or if FWB focuses more on rifles these days
jipe

Post by jipe »

ruig wrote:
ghostrip wrote:Also interesting is the fact that walther introduces new models every few years.
Exactly as Feinwerbau does... May be these companies are still searching for successful model?

LP10 exists since 1997. In the same period of time Finewerkbau produced P30, P34. P40, P44. Hm...
Walther produced as many models as FWB in the same period of time while Steyr was progressively upgrading the LP10 giving to his customer the possibility to upgrade their own pistol without the need of buying a complete new pistol (conversion from CO2 to air - and the opposite - , cylinder with manometer, ball bearing trigger, 8 holes compensator, rotating front sight). Only the electronic trigger cannot be mounted on a mechanical trigger LP10.

The LP400 looks really like an LP10 or LP2 clone ! It even went back from 300bar to 200bar.
Ulrich Eichstädt

Re: Walther's new pistols LP400 and SSP-E

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

ghostrip wrote:Courtesy of Ruig's blog http://toz35.blogspot.com/ and Guns.ru forum http://talks.guns.ru/forummessage/16/662124.html pictures of the newest additions to Walther family.
Nonsense: the pictures are courtesy of VISIER gun magazine, issue 8/2010, page 48ff. The drawings and pictures were given to me exclusively by Carl Walther, and even though blog-author Igor knows me (I'm the author of that worldwide first article) he didn't ask for permit. Due to the fast distribution from blog to blog it is now in the world, anyway. But the credit belongs to VISIER.

Walther will show the guns at first on their stand at the World Championships in Munich.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Nonsense: the pictures are courtesy of VISIER gun magazine, issue 8/2010, page 48ff. The drawings and pictures were given to me exclusively by Carl Walther, and even though blog-author Igor knows me (I'm the author of that worldwide first article) he didn't ask for permit. Due to the fast distribution from blog to blog it is now in the world, anyway. But the credit belongs to VISIER.

Walther will show the guns at first on their stand at the World Championships in Munich.

Thanks Ulrich. I appreciate the clarification that it is not a rumour, and the history behind the story.
ruig

Re: Walther's new pistols LP400 and SSP-E

Post by ruig »

Ulrich Eichstädt wrote:Nonsense: the pictures are courtesy of VISIER gun magazine, issue 8/2010, page 48ff. The drawings and pictures were given to me exclusively by Carl Walther, and even though blog-author Igor knows me (I'm the author of that worldwide first article) he didn't ask for permit. Due to the fast distribution from blog to blog it is now in the world, anyway. But the credit belongs to VISIER.
Dear Ulrich,

What exactly should i ask? Your permission to link another internet resource?

My sole error what i accept is that i linked that website at all (although control credits/copyrights of all linked by me websites and content might be to much for me).

I personally have no problems with VISIER/VS Medien GmbH.
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

Sorry ruig, I assumed (can't re-check it because of the now removed link) that the scanned article wasn't linked but published directly at your blog. Of course a blogger isn't responsible for content that was published somewhere else. The Guns.ru-pictured are manipulated anyway, they cut of the top und bottom of the pages, where our VISIER copyright remark is - modern times...

I wrote you an e-mail some minutes ago.

A last remark: The LP 400 and LG 400 will be available worldwide approx in autumn 2010, the SSP-E will only be shown in a display cabinet at the World's. It was neither working/shooting yet nor ready for presentation when I was in Ulm at the End of june, only a proto-prototype. The Walther people take their responsibility for a safe but also precise trigger very seriously, and they have to be sure that the system only shoots when the owner wants to (to prevent any misfires, accidental fires by technical problems, low battery etc.), especially when selling a gun to the USA...
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Especially as Walther's history with electronic triggers is less than thrilling, and almost nobody else got one into serial production in a RF pistol without some problems... On the other hand, if it took them three years of testing to come up with the SSP, I guess we won't see the SSP-E before 2025 - and until then, our ISSF certified tie-wearers will have killed the sport anyway. So no reason to hold your breath.

Post by Guest »

I hope it will be available in black too. By the way, am I the only one who thinks the LP400 and the entire concept of the product line (variants with/without barrel liner, left/right junior stock etc.) looks pretty much like a knock-off of the Steyr models? No disregard intended, quality is surely top and the design is well-proven. But they do give up their brand identity a bit with these models.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote:I hope it will be available in black too. By the way, am I the only one who thinks the LP400 and the entire concept of the product line (variants with/without barrel liner, left/right junior stock etc.) looks pretty much like a knock-off of the Steyr models? No disregard intended, quality is surely top and the design is well-proven. But they do give up their brand identity a bit with these models.
They do look similar, except the LP400 carbotec version, which the carbon fibre barrel shroud. I would suggest however that there are a lot of differences between the guns. Look for example where the barrel line sits in the hand, and ditto the trigger manouverability. The barrel sits lower than anything else I've seen and the trigger has the ability to move a long way forwards and back, on a rail. I've not seen anything else with that degree of movement. No doubt there are many other changes and differences that are not visible to the casual observer. Whether they make it a better gun, only time will tell.

Rob.
mapletune

Post by mapletune »

Interestingly, both Gold and Silver for the 10m Air Pistol Youth Men's at Singapore 2010 were Walther pistols.

Does this mean that manufacturers still have a shot to persuade younger generations? =p
paulo

Post by paulo »

http://picasaweb.google.com/igor.rulyov ... Munich2010#
Grip angle looks a lot like a free pistol.
Rear sights are almost at wrist line.
Barrel looks short on all 400 guns.

Post by Guest »

Does the carbon barrel shroud actually have a function or is it for looks only?
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

my guess it is only for the looks.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

It holds the compensator and sight for starters.
Makris D. G.

Post by Makris D. G. »

The carbon shroud could be damping the barrel's vibration, depends on the design...
ghostrip

Post by ghostrip »

getting the carbon to stick to the steel barrel and work together would be a difficult procedure and an expensive one. the logical explanation is that carbon is there for the looks and to act as a lightweight shroud - front sight holder.