Re-Stocking a Kimber 82G

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Tanktrek

Re-Stocking a Kimber 82G

Post by Tanktrek »

Does anyone out there know of or has heard of someone putting the Kimber 82G CMP Rifle in a Free Rifle Stock. I know that it will not shoot as well as an Anshutz or Walter, but for little club matches it is a good little shooter, and besides I picked it up for a really good price.
If I cannot find another stock for the rifle, I was thinking of removing the stock butt-plate spacer system with a 3-Position model.

Let me know what you think?

Ron
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I could never find a stock to put this in for a 3-P type gun.
I finally modified mine for my daughter so that it is now a 10lb-2oz smallbore silhouette rifle.
When I selected the ammo for this rifle (a lot of SK STD Plus) we were able to shoot sub-1 inch groups at 100yds ... one group was .86

Not bad for a "used" JROTC return for $250 .... should have bought more of them (I'm pretty sure the rifle had never been fired)
nhoj557

Post by nhoj557 »

I have put my Kimber 82g into a Anschutz stock. I actually bought it from a fellow on target talk. It is a wood 1813 or 1713 stock I think. The wood has to be rerouted in a few places. Not just a drop in. Anybody who is handy at that type of stuff should not have a problem. Shoots very well.
Jason

Post by Jason »

nhoj557 wrote:I have put my Kimber 82g into a Anschutz stock.
Do you have any pictures? I'll bet there are a number of us who'd like to see your rifle. . . .

Jason
nhoj557

82g

Post by nhoj557 »

Yes I can have pics as soon as my batteries charge in the camera
Tanktrek

Re-Stocking a Kimber 82G

Post by Tanktrek »

Guys, whats your opinion about this

Instead of re-stocking, I am thinking about re-working the existing stock into something that would be more user friendly for 3 & 4 P club Matches.

a. Cutting the stock and installing a 3X adjustable butt plate
b. Cutting the forearm down, closer to the barrel and leaving enought wood for re-installing the rail
c. Removing some wood around the back portion of the pistol grip

Call it a poor man match rifle

Ron
Tanktrek

Re-Stocking a Kimber 82G

Post by Tanktrek »

You would think that since this rifle is so accurate that more stock options would be available, and more people would wanting more options.
nhoj557

82G

Post by nhoj557 »

I have the pics but can't seem to post. If anybody wants me to send them to them, send me your e-mail address. PM
Tanktrek

Re-Stocking a Kimber 82G

Post by Tanktrek »

Please send me the pictures;

Pictures received, thanks

Ron
Last edited by Tanktrek on Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
nhoj557

82g

Post by nhoj557 »

I have sent the pic outs hopefully somebody can post them for me. Also I did a trigger job on it also. The original trigger is like 2lbs or so. I did the job using information on rimfire central. By changeing the pivot point of the trigger and doing a little spring work, the trigger now just under 6oz which for me is fine. I can actually adjust it down to about 2 oz.
Jason

Post by Jason »

And here are the pictures:

There were two other, nearly identical pictures but they were kind of fuzzy.

Did you have to adjust the loading port or bolt handle recess? It's a nice looking 1411 prone stock.

How's it shoot? Are the sights 1/4 minute or something finer?

Jason
nhoj557

82G

Post by nhoj557 »

The bolt handle recess lined up but was to shallow so that had to be deepened. The end of the receiver recess of the stock had to have some material removed for the bolt to work. The loading port didn't have any issues at all, and a new hole was drilled to match the front receiver screw. A little material from the trigger area. All in all it took one evening to do it. It sounds more complicated to do it than it was to do. The actions are very similar. The barrel is free floating and the was not any issues there either. The sight is the original that came on the Kimber. They say it is 5 clicks to the inch at 100 yds. Like I said before I also reworked the trigger. You have to remember this was for military training use to start with and they wanted to triggers to match what the soldier would be using not for competitions.
Tanktrek

Re-Stocking a Kimber 82G

Post by Tanktrek »

nhoj557

What rear sight are you using and whose palm rest is that?

Ron
nhoj557

82G

Post by nhoj557 »

The sight is the original that came on it. It says it was made in Australia. Compatible with Anschutz accessories. The palm rest I built myself out of another rest to attach to the rail.
Tanktrek

Re-Stocking a Kimber 82G

Post by Tanktrek »

As far as the rear sight is concerned, whose rear aperiture are you using?

Ron
nhoj557

82G

Post by nhoj557 »

The rear is a Gehmann. It has colored filters and adjustable aperture. I have a 1.5 magnifier for it also but of course you can't use it for ISSF. Sometimes it is legal for some local shoots.