Newbie Needs some Feedback !

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bigbore4me

Newbie Needs some Feedback !

Post by bigbore4me »

Hello all,
I have a chance to purchase a Daisy rifle #888 and another Daisy that is
#887.
Can you tell me some of the advantages/disadvantages of each?
I really want the laminated stock of the 888,but do they interchange
at all? Are there other accessories made for each?
I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone here !
Also,are there any other sites/links you would reccomend.
Thanks much.
steve
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Yes, the stocks do interchange. The 887 has the most developed stock for competition and a better sight altho it is a Chinese copy of the Gamo and some are defective. Daisy has been reliable in exchanging a defective sight for another of the same make and design. You may get lucky on the first one you recieve. Good Shooting Bill Horton
bigbore4me

Re: Post Subject

Post by bigbore4me »

2650 Plus wrote:Yes, the stocks do interchange. The 887 has the most developed stock for competition and a better sight altho it is a Chinese copy of the Gamo and some are defective. Daisy has been reliable in exchanging a defective sight for another of the same make and design. You may get lucky on the first one you recieve. Good Shooting Bill Horton

Hi Bill,
Thanks for your reply to my Daisy rifle question!
What you said about it being Chinese has me backing off of the idea
big time!! And then what I noticed on the forum is that there does not
seem to be anyone using Daisy Brand rifles??
So are they that poor in quality and workmanship??
I am just getting into the sport and Don't want to waste money on
a poorly made import!! So what would you look for Bill? what brand
do you shoot?
Any help is really appreciated!!
Thanks Bill.
Sincerely------Steve
n4jee

Daisy 887/8

Post by n4jee »

The 887/8 are sporter class rifles. They will shoot 10's all day long if you can. The sights are Chinese, not the gun. I have a bunch of those sights on various guns and they all work fine. Your chances of getting a good one are greater then getting a bad one and if you do get a bad one call Daisy.
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

I have an 887 and love it. The 887 stock is laminated also, just not in the cool red/white/blue pattern of the 888. The 888 has a smaller stock and is sized for juniors. The 887 is a larger stock for adults. The actions are identical and interchangable. The sights are POSMIC, but what isn't made in China today? But the sights are very good. For some reason I didn't receive a post style front sight in my aperture kit, and didn't discover that until the gun was 2 years old. I bought a set of apertures directly from Daisy with no problems.

I bought the spare CO2 cylinder so I wouldn't run out during matches, but I can get 250 shots from one cylinder with no loss of power.

The ONLY thing I don't like is that the butt spacer plates are plastic, and don't have a very clean fit to the laminated stock. It would look a lot nicer if Daisy made laminated wood spacers off the same duplicating lathes that make the stocks.

I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. As far as accuracy, I have won silver and bronze at the CMP National Matches at Camp Perry. If you knew my shooting skills, you'd agree that the gun must be pretty accurate.
Quest1

Re: Newbie Needs some Feedback !

Post by Quest1 »

bigbore4me wrote:Hello all,
I have a chance to purchase a Daisy rifle #888 and another Daisy that is
#887.
Can you tell me some of the advantages/disadvantages of each?
I really want the laminated stock of the 888,but do they interchange
at all? Are there other accessories made for each?
I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone here !
Also,are there any other sites/links you would reccomend.
Thanks much.
steve
If you want to get a good quality sporter rifle you may want to look at the AirForce Edge rifle. It maybe more expensive, but the quality is good and at least they are made in the US.

Randy,