Practice program for standing.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Practice program for standing.

Post by tsokasn »

Hi!
Due to winter time in Greece,there are only few smallbore matchies.
Most of the matchies are air.So I have consentrated all my practice on standing position.
I may belong in the minority that do not have a coach to supervise and correct me.And so,I have created a training program that don't know if it is any good.
For the last three weeks,I shoot Scatt in home,at least 5 times a week.
(thsi is what I am trying to keep up,5 Scatt and 1 live per week)
Every practice lasts about 70 shoots.
I am shooting mid 560.
For prone and kneeling,I am waiting my snap caps.
I feel that I don't train much...

Any suggestions?
Jason

Post by Jason »

What are you actually doing during your SCATT sessions? Do you set a goal before the start of each session and then assess the outcome after? Are you using your shooting diary to track progress? Have you even set goals for the upcoming season?

We can't provide you with useful feedback without knowing where you want to go. :)

Jason
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

Try doing more training outside of just shooting single shots (70 shots) then stopping. Shoot groups, shoot w/o shooting leathers. Dry firing w/o the electronics and scores has always helped me. I don't think it is the amount of time you spend i think it is the quality of time spent. Seems like 5 or 6 times a week just shooting is kinda boring and redundant. I've always been a fan of mixing life up a bit. Do position building exercises and other activities rather than just shooting 70 shots and moving on. But that is just me.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Jason
I don't set a goal.I just try to master the standing position,breathing,triggering in every shot.
I don't use diary to track my progress.
I haven't set a spesific score/goal.
My goal is to be better than I already am.

jmkwyo
I agree with the quality of time.
In every time,I try my best
robf

Post by robf »

I would say a visit to a coach with an assessment would pay dividends. They would be able to see where your strengths and weaknesses are and build a programme for you to work on where you can assess your own processes and work towards small goals of improvement around specific aspects.

Done well, you can just communicate remotely, with perhaps the occasional visit to assess how you're actually progressing now and then.
Jason

Post by Jason »

tsokasn wrote:Jason
I don't set a goal.I just try to master the standing position,breathing,triggering in every shot.
I don't use diary to track my progress.
I haven't set a spesific score/goal.
My goal is to be better than I already am.
Then I'd suggest you're doing too many things at once to progress at the rate you want to. You're putting in a solid chunk of time, but likely not using it effectively as you could be. This is definitely a case where working "smarter" is better than "harder" (although you can argue for both at different times of the year, depending again on your specific goals). The last place you want to end up is getting frustrated with the whole process and turned off shooting.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you some plans I developed for working on my prone position. You might find them useful.

But I agree with robf -- you'd definitely benefit from working with a coach, even for one session.

Jason
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I agree with the last two posters. You need to train specific elements to improve them and really concentrate hard on that one element and doing it right. As stated above though, a coach can save you months or sometimes years of wandering off down the wrong path.

At the very least get yourself a diary / journal, and write down every session you do and every competition. In that journal you can then start identifying strengths and areas to work on and thereby set goals for future sessions.

Rob.

Post by Guest »

Invest in the Book "Air rifle Shooting by Heinz Reinkemeier and others" it will help you focus what you wish to achieve with the Scatt, as well as provided training objectives. Its targeted at your level and above.
robf

Post by robf »

Anonymous wrote:Invest in the Book "Air rifle Shooting by Heinz Reinkemeier and others" it will help you focus what you wish to achieve with the Scatt, as well as provided training objectives. Its targeted at your level and above.
It is an excellent resource. But not wanting to take anything away from the merit of your post, the problem for people practicing on their own is direction, and a coach will give the shooter probably a more efficient direction for improvement.

That said, I recommend the book to anyone vaguely interested in increasing their shooting performance, if they are shooting a rifle, and although the technical look and feel of the book can be a little off putting to the beginner, it starts with the basics, which many an experienced shooter will sometimes overlook.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Thank you all for your interest!
Everything I do is according some tips that some better shooters from me recomend and of course Ways of shooting(not forget targettalk)
I try to aplly what fits me best(I always matbe wrong...)
I do agree with your statements and I will try to find someone to supervise me,though the "I did it my self" is what direct me...
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Is the Air Rifle book substantially different in content from Ways of the Rifle?
robf

Post by robf »

I've got both, but only recently given ARS a quick look... it concentrates on air only, and also has quite a bit dedicated to rested shooting.
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

Tsokasn, I suggest for starters dropping scores. Focus on what you really need to improve and work on it. Scores will come out of their own accord. You mentioned that you had triggering issues, work on that for instance.

I also don't have a coach as such. Rather, I had the luck of finding another more experienced shooter (oddly enough, a pistol shooter who turned rifle coach to help his wife) who took me over and helps with setting up training sessions and other things. Also I ask my friends for advice, on SCATT matters for example. Don't you have any shooting mates with more experience who could help you?

The only time I had a proper coach was when I went to meet an Ukrainian guy who had just arrived to coach the Brazilian team. Pity that this blissful period lasted only a couple of days as I had to come back home because of post-grad exams...

Cheers NB