Smallbore Training

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Edward

Smallbore Training

Post by Edward »

While I feel that the smallbore outdoor shooting is a game of reading the wind, and precision equipment, I find myself several steps back in the process, and I would like some input in a path forward to get to a higher level of shooting?

Quality range time is very limited for me, and while I gear up, and dry fire at home, I need some real world feedback in the basics of my shooting. I say all that to ask what is the best alternative training method in my situation, 10M AirRifle or a Electronic training system? The costs are comparable, but I am not sure of the potential results in their use. Any comments or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eddie
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

The best advice is to get a decent coach. You say quality range time is limited but what do you do with that time ?

Rob.
BJ

Post by BJ »

If you do not plan on competing in the 10 meter air rifle event then you are better off spending the money on an electronic training system.

Brian
Edward

Post by Edward »

I am not aware of any coaches for adults in my area, and excessive distances limit my range time. I have the time to spend, but don't want to waste it in the car driving.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Edward wrote:I am not aware of any coaches for adults in my area, and excessive distances limit my range time. I have the time to spend, but don't want to waste it in the car driving.
Unfortunately most coaches don't advertise their presence so you would need to do some work to find one. That is still better than just shooting rounds down the range. Ditto and electronic trainer, it's a great tool if used properly, if not it's a waste of money.

Rob.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

I can't comment on electronic but I started with air rifle and found it an easy transition to smallbore. I'd find it very hard to believe that air practice is not going to make you better, especially if you find a stock similar to your smallbore rifle.

Basham book has a story where he did nothing but dryfire for a year and then won a championship of some kind.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

melchloboo wrote:I can't comment on electronic but I started with air rifle and found it an easy transition to smallbore. I'd find it very hard to believe that air practice is not going to make you better, especially if you find a stock similar to your smallbore rifle.

Basham book has a story where he did nothing but dryfire for a year and then won a championship of some kind.
That's correct but don't forget he was already a very high level shooter, had plenty of coaching and knew exactly what to do (i.e. how to train) when dry firing.

Rob.