Shooting Jacket Comparisons

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

wul3

Shooting Jacket Comparisons

Post by wul3 »

So I'm in the market for a new jacket and I was wondering what people's opinions were on some jackets. I did some searching around this website first and came up with a list of potential jackets. I'm a petite female shooter shooting for my college club team. Please let me know your opinions.

Kurt Thune TL 1
Monard Junior II/Starter II
Gehmann 404R
Creedmoor Sports AHG-Anschutz Jacket
http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/pr ... 368&page=1
Champion Shooters ISU Rifle Jacket
http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 282&page=1
or ISU Canvas/Suede Jacket
http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 282&page=1

Thanks for your time!
talladega

Post by talladega »

I bought a Gehmann 404 two years ago for my first jacket. I got it altered a bit and it works great. Without going with a custom jacket I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make with the other brands. I know mine works great for me.
Jason

Post by Jason »

More info would help. Are you shooting both air rifle and 3-P (I'm assuming you are but wanted to confirm)? Are you looking to upgrade? What's your real budget (these are all basic jackets)? Have you talked to your coach about his/her preference?

JJ

Post by Guest »

I'll be shooting primarily air rifle. I'm looking to upgrade from an ISSF-illegal jacket (high power jacket). And budget-wise, I think i'm in the $250 max range (club money). I'm going to be showing all these jacket choices to my coach tomorrow but I just wanted to see what other people said.

Thanks for your quick responses!
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Are you shooting 3-P air rifle or just standing?

Keep to canvas rather than leather as it is much more supporting.

Monard are pretty good and offer made to measure on their standard range which is a good price when compared to other brands made to measure. Check out Monard USA.

Peeps
Jason

Post by Jason »

I suppose jacket choice depends to a large degree on how far you want to take your shooting.

If you're a dedicated recreational shooter and aren't really interested in national or international success -- beyond college, that is -- then any of the jackets on your list (in the right size) would likely work just fine.

But if you're thinking bigger dreams beyond college shooting, you may want to dig a little deeper and invest in a higher quality jacket as you'll benefit from the better construction and materials (especially if it's sized for you).

Hopefully some other collegiate shooters will chime in here and help you out (hint, hint).

JJ