Advise

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Paza

Advise

Post by Paza »

I am a shooter with little experience in weapons of bullet and want to buy a compressed air gun to get started in shooting accuracy. I would like to know what are the differences between the shot gun with the electronic trigger and shot gun with the mechanical trigger, and which of them can be more appropriate to my case. Thank you.
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Dear Paza,

You have to provide more information about what you intend to do; "shooting accuracy" is pretty much the common denominator in all competitions.

What is your budget? ....What do you want to acquire? ( A pistol or a rifle? are you going to shoot 10M with air? or 25 or 50M with pistol?, etc.)

You mention "weapons with bullets" and then I get confused because you call them "shotguns" and you also mention that you want to get an "air gun"...

Electronic triggers are nice but are not suited/allowed in all competitions...

If you be more specific you will find a lot of help in this forum, there are a lot of very knowledgeable members whose advice and experience will be priceless in your new venture into shooting...Help us to help you...

Best regards,

AZUARO
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

azuaro wrote:<snip>
Electronic triggers are nice but are not suited/allowed in all competitions...

If you be more specific you will find a lot of help in this forum, there are a lot of very knowledgeable members whose advice and experience will be priceless in your new venture into shooting...Help us to help you...

Best regards,

AZUARO
Electronic triggers are allowed in pretty much every competition I can think of, certainly in all ISSF pistol events.

There is however no magic factor associated with them. I would advise that as pointed out above you work out your budget for whatever sort of shooting you are interested in and then go and have a look and feel of the guns that match your requirements. Then buy whichever feels best to you.

You can always repost here once you have a shortlist, and people will give you their thoughts.

Rob.
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Dear Rob,

Absolutely, you are right about the electronic triggers being allowed in all ISSF competitions...I agree with you.

Nevertheless, since Paza was not clear as to where he wants to compete or with what kind of weapon. He mentioned a "weapon with bullets" which could be a pistol, rifle or a shotgun (air or powder) and this why I spoke in more general terms.

Some clubs mix NRA and ISSF events given the very limited audience and there are NRA classes that require specific triggers as is the case for the BP Military rifle where "A typical trigger" is required and this is a mechanical one (See 3.2)

I know that this is the OLYMPIC PISTOL FORUM but I was trying to narrow the input that Paza is giving us in order to lead him in the right direction in this or in other forum.

Anyhow, thank you for making this point clear.

Best regards,

AZUARO
yana

Post by yana »

Dont think with E trigger is any more accurate than without. It dóes féél different, but you certainly dont nééd an E trigger..
Another disadvantage cán be that the gripadjustment is limited. (morini 162E). The big advantage of the 162E is the great easy of dry fire practise.
But besides that it's all personal preference.
If you buy it sechand, might be wise to replace the battery of an E trigger though, so you have a fresh start.(15000 shots or so?)
Paza

Advise

Post by Paza »

Thank you all for your answers (Yana, Robstubbs and Azuaro).

To be more specific:
For instance, what's the difference in the shooter's point of view, between a shot from an air compressed pistol with electronic trigger and a mechanical one ?
Does an electronic trigger reduce the fun of shooting?

Best regards.
Paza
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Dear Paza,

Not necessarily, electronic triggers are widely used in rapid Fire (.22 Rim Fire) and in mostly all other disciplines because it allows DRY FIRING for practicing.

If you want to shoot 10M with an air pistol, an electronic trigger is not going to give you any advantage over a mechanical one because top quality single shot 10M air pistols have a DRY FIRE mechanism that will allow you to dry fire it for practicing and because most mechanical trigger groups in good quality pistols are nowadays excellent and represent no disadvantage over their electronic counterparts.

I shoot 10M with a FWB 44 (air pistol) with mechanical trigger, Rapid Fire with two FWB pistols (56 & 58) and I just ordered a Pardini SP1 for shooting 25M rapid fire with a .22 LR...The only pistol with an electronic trigger will be the Pardini and I ordered the electronic trigger for being able to practice the RF discipline sequence (DRY FIRING 5 consecutive shots in 8, 6 & 4 seconds).

Some time ago I had a FWB 90 which was a FWB 65 with an electronic trigger, I did not see any advantage vs. the regular mechanical trigger in the FWB 65, but of course, this is me and there might be other shooters who will swear by electronic triggers.

My advice for you will be to go to the range/stores and to test as many pistols as you have access to, you need to find out what you feel comfortable with in terms of balance, grip, sight radius, weight, etc. Your budget is going to tell you what to look for and where to find it.

Feeling comfortable with a mechanical trigger gun definitely gives you an advantage over any electronic trigger in a non-comfortable pistol.

Regards,

azuaro
Philadelphia

Post by Philadelphia »

I have a old Walther CP5 I bought not long ago from Scott, with electronic trigger (trigger is very light -- around 100g). I enjoy shooting it and it is very accurate. A fine example of very high quality German engineering and manufacturing, that was in some ways ahead of its time.

I've never tried any other electronic trigger. With the Walter, there is trigger movement but no feeling of a mechanical trigger "break" -- more of a rolling trigger.

Is this what modern electronic triggers feel like (but obviously with more trigger weight)?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Philadelphia wrote:I've never tried any other electronic trigger. With the Walter, there is trigger movement but no feeling of a mechanical trigger "break" -- more of a rolling trigger.

Is this what modern electronic triggers feel like (but obviously with more trigger weight)?
With my Morini 162EI you have a first stage trigger movement, reaching almost to the maximum trigger weight before coming to a second stage "stop". Increasing the pressure from that point will fire the shot without any noticeable additional movement as the trigger breaks. Increasing the pressure very slightly more will make the trigger continue to move rearward.

On my gun there is such a small (if any) movement of the trigger as it goes off that it is quite common to get a second (dry fire) shot immediately. I can only presume that there must be some trigger movement caused by the reaction to recoil, but I've never noticed it.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

David:

Of course, your 1st/2d stage weight preference is "infinitely" [sic] adjustable.

Sounds like you have yours set 90%/10% or thereabouts; mine is more like a 75%/25% split (out of a total 520 grams).

Some of our crossover BE shooters at the club try a 30%/70% so it feels like a single stage trigger with some takeup. Not sure how that's workling out for them though; I just overheard a couple of guys talking about it.

Oh yeah you can adjust the length of the 1st/2d stage travel a bit if I remember correctly . . .

Steve
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Steve Swartz wrote:Oh yeah you can adjust the length of the 1st/2d stage travel a bit if I remember correctly . . .
If it ain't broke don't fix it ;-)
David M

Post by David M »

Steve, the adjustment you seek....
The adjustment for travel is very limited (limited by the spring travel of the micro switch).
It is also different on the early (15v) triggers to the later pencell boards.
The early fixed tank pistols could be set up with a roll off trigger because the early switch was a 'Normally open' type and the later is 'normally closed'.
The switch setting screw is in the top of the switch housing (also sets the second stage point), strip the pistol, plug the board into the switch housing and turn on. Slowly screw in until the solenoid fires, then back off 1/4 to 1/3 of a turn (this is the limit of second stage travel without modification).
It is nearly impossible to achieve a roll off feel with the later trigger.
Paza

Advise

Post by Paza »

So, as i understand, is it correct to say that, for instance, the difference between shooting with a morini cm 162 EI and a cm 162 MI, can be eliminated with the correct adjustment in the EI?
David Levene

Re: Advise

Post by David Levene »

Paza wrote:So, as i understand, is it correct to say that, for instance, the difference between shooting with a morini cm 162 EI and a cm 162 MI, can be eliminated with the correct adjustment in the EI?
Now that would depend which trigger you prefer.

I would rather say that you cannot adjust the trigger on a 162MI to make it feel like a 162EI.

(I prefer the feel of the 162EI).
Paza

Advise

Post by Paza »

Exactly. My doubt was the size of that adjustment range. By your answer i can conclude that the choice of an electronic trigger doesn't reduce the shooting sensation. Thank you.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Paza wrote:By your answer i can conclude that the choice of an electronic trigger doesn't reduce the shooting sensation.
I am sorry but I do not understand what you mean by that.

The shooting sensation is different on a 162EI; it was never intended to be the same as a 162MI.

If you prefer the feel of a 162EI then buy a 162EI. If you prefer the feel of a 162MI then buy a 162MI. Do not buy one and expect to be able to make it feel like the other, you won't be able to.
Paza

Advise

Post by Paza »

I agree.
That was not my point. I intend to buy an EI. I just want to be sure that i can adjust the trigger in order to keep the sensation in the moment of the shot. Wich i expect to be different from the MI one.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Paza wrote:I agree.
I intend to buy an EI. I just want to be sure that i can adjust the trigger in order to keep the sensation in the moment of the shot.
There is no significant trigger sensation caused by the trigger release on the EI.