Steyr LP5 CO2 vs LP50 pcp

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
yana

Steyr LP5 CO2 vs LP50 pcp

Post by yana »

I also still have an older Steyr LP5 pistol lying around. 5 shot, CO2.
Is the new LP50 considerably better than the old LP5?
Besides the co2 pcp difference..
What áre the main differences?
Is it worth the money changing to the LP50?
RobStubbs

Re: Steyr LP5 CO2 vs LP50 pcp

Post by RobStubbs »

yana wrote:I also still have an older Steyr LP5 pistol lying around. 5 shot, CO2.
Is the new LP50 considerably better than the old LP5?
Besides the co2 pcp difference..
What áre the main differences?
Is it worth the money changing to the LP50?
I too have the LP5 and didn't feel it was worth changing to the LP50, as there isn't really enough of a difference. Now that the LP50E is out, I might reconsider, if the trigger is significantly better than the LP5 and LP50.

Rob.

Post by Guest »

Do you know, wether the barrel sleeve of the LP50 will fit the old LP5?
I like that looks better..
Might be best value than just to change to pcp on the LP5..
Also read that the trigger weight range is not as light and quite limited on the LP50..
I have a 162e morini but dont rate that trigger as better than my LP5's..So would change rifle for a E trigger only
jipe

Post by jipe »

Steyr has now a conversion kit that costs less than 200Euros (with one cylinder), knowing that a new cylinder is abour 110Euros, it is a good deal for those who have expired CO2 cylinders.

About the trigger, as far as I know the trigger unit is the same and exchangeable between the LP5 and LP50. Anyway, the new ISSF rule is 500g trigger weight also for 5 AP shots events, so the low trigger weight unit has no interest anymore.
Thinkqob

Post by Thinkqob »

I have use lp10 it's a good gun I think lp50 will much better than lp5
http://archerfish.org/
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Thinkqob wrote:I think lp50 will much better than lp5
Please explain why.
yana

Post by yana »

I've been shooting my LP5 CO2 lately, since my morini is leaking badly (will be sent back to morini). I notied, the LP5 has noticeably more muzzle blast than the 162, both in sound and recoil. I'm gonna chrono it, check wether its velocity isnt too high, but besides that, are there ways to improve the LP5's compensator? I noticed some later pcp steyr also have 8? holes in the front of the compensator (besides the 2 sleeves on top).
Would this improve things?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

yana wrote:......but besides that, are there ways to improve the LP5's compensator?
Several years ago (probably 8-9) Steyr redesigned the last conical piece, the last bit the pellet exits on its way down range.

I'm just going from memory (as I'm supposed to be working) but the newer one was, I think, "squarer" when viewed from the end.

Unless someone beats me to it I'll try and post a couple of pictures later.

It was an easy retrofit. I seem to remember that the piece is held by a small grub screw under the front sight.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

This is the newer type insert installed

And these are the different inserts

(Sorry about the dust)
jipe

Post by jipe »

Thanks David, interresting information, I never dismounted that part !
yana wrote: I notied, the LP5 has noticeably more muzzle blast than the 162, both in sound and recoil.
I noticed that other CO2 pistols (FWB C20/C25) also make more noise than PCP ? I guess your 162 is a PCP ?

Post by Guest »

Thanks for that! Will check it! Does that frontpart have a partnumber?
So I can order it?
Yes, the 162 is a pcp, morini, they only have pcp's.
I knew CO2 had a louder blast, thats ok, I just didnt expect it to have more recoil as well, as its a bigger, heavier pistol (the LP5).
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:Thanks for that! Will check it! Does that frontpart have a partnumber?
I don't know it I'm afraid. It was quite a few years ago and I just asked Steyr UK for the new compensator cone. He understood what I was talking about because a few people were changing them at the time.

Remember though that mine was air. I don't know if the same part works for CO2.

Post by Guest »

I checked, mine has the old round one.
I also checked my exploded view in my manual, but it doesnt show a seperate cone, only the full shroud.
But I'll check with Steyr.
Does yrs have those holes in front as well? Do they help?
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I've seen the new type 8-hole separators for sale on egun, don't know if they are the original thing or just a copy. Haven't heard a serious opinion about the potential advances of the new part, though. Difficult to compensate more than the LP10 already had eliminated, looks like a marketing gag to me. Or the new ones are cheaper to produce. My LP5 (2nd version comp) shows more movement from the mag ejection than muzzle jump, anyway...
Thinkqob

Post by Thinkqob »

change as you like it ,but don't make too many choice,the new gun not suit everyone,if your old one can working well and have high precision you don't need news one.if the old one doesn't work well ,and you can think about the new one.the most important is improe your shgooting skills.
http://archerfish.org/
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Conscious and concentrated experimenting/developing is good training.
yana

Post by yana »

Ordered the square cone.
By the way, how is the semi auto system operated? By a wound up spring? Not by CO2 is it?
For targetshooting, I'm using the Tau 7 at the mo till my 162 gets back. It has far less recoil and muzzle blast than the LP5. Shot 47 ex 50 and 175 ex 200 with it saturday. Not bad considering I'm only shooting 1handed for about 3weeks!

Anyone ever enciountered indexing problems with the LP5/50 system? (cause by magazine wear or something).
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Yes, mags wear out over time. Always good to have spares at hand. The Steyr works by compressed gas, btw, which is why the LP5(0) can't make the same number of shots with the same load as the LP1. Can't say that my LP5 jumps more than my 162EI, though - are you sure that the V0 on your Steyr is not somewhere beyond Mach 1?
yana

Post by yana »

My steyr is a CO2 version. Oldy, from 1996.
I ordered a new mag to keep apart just in case.
I still have to chrono it. Might be higher than normal, yes.
But the semi-auto system gives more movement as well I feel..
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Actually, for me the LP5 jumps less than a LP1 at the same V0. I think that is because of the "slide" moving, which seems to give a effect a bit like the absorber of the LP10, just not 100%. What I can see on the LP5 is a very slight turning motion due to the mag moving, especially when shooting single shots. Back when I shot left handed, that was a no-issue, due to the rotation going against the natural movement of the hand. Won't keep me from buying a LP50E, I always liked that extra weight in the frame - almost all my PB's were shot with the LP5, despite the trigger.