Grips, and other things.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
theliberal

Grips, and other things.

Post by theliberal »

Am I right in noticing that nealjguns no longer carries Vitarbo grips? I am really in need of a new AP grip, but am in no condition to put down $200 or more. Any ideas? Also, I'd like advice about changing my login. "theliberal" isn't any fun, and I'd prefer to just use my name. Just start a new 'account'?
Oz

Post by Oz »

Arnie (Vitarbo) shoots at our club. While he sold the grip manufacturing business, he still has access to them. If you can't get access to one, let me know and I'm sure I could put you in touch with him for a grip.

As for username: contact a moderator. They can easily (with proper access) change your username.

Oz
RobStubbs

Re: Grips, and other things.

Post by RobStubbs »

theliberal wrote:Also, I'd like advice about changing my login. "theliberal" isn't any fun, and I'd prefer to just use my name. Just start a new 'account'?
I'd just make yourself a new account / username.

Rob.
Spencer

Re: Grips, and other things.

Post by Spencer »

RobStubbs wrote:I'd just make yourself a new account / username.
Rob.
I think each e-mail address is only allowed once

Spencer
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

"I am really in need of a new AP grip."

What's wrong with the one on the gun?

Steve

(I have grip putty and a dremel tool OBTW)
theliberal

Grip

Post by theliberal »

Steve: I bought the thing with a large grip and it was just enormous. So I started messing with it until I crossed the point of no return. I still can't get a consistent grip and I destroyed the part that goes next to the heel of the hand. I figured I might as well start over. I'm also carving a grip from scratch, but finishing it will take a while and success is far from guaranteed.
Ricardo
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

So what. As long as there is something left to be mounted to the frame, fiberglass reinforced body filler does the job as well as a 250$ Rink grip, if you get the fit right.
FredB

Post by FredB »

Tycho wrote:So what. As long as there is something left to be mounted to the frame, fiberglass reinforced body filler does the job as well as a 250$ Rink grip, if you get the fit right.
"if you get the fit right....."

I have worked on scores of grips and found that it is extremely difficult to "get the fit right" on a grip that is fundamentally the wrong size. Sure, it CAN be done, but all the basic reference points are wrong. It's worse than starting from a blank block of wood.

"The Liberal" might want to check out Marchall (sp?) grips for a less expensive option. The contact information is somewhere here in Target Talk. Also the last time I checked out NealJ Gunsmithing about a month ago, I was able to find Vitarbo grips still listed - about $115 for custom made AP grip. Call NealJ to check it out.

HTH,
FredB
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

If you're working with polyester anyway, take a negative of something that DOES fit and put that on your frame. Works!
theliberal

Grips

Post by theliberal »

Thanks for the various opinions. I'm thinking of trying some more with putty and carving, and will continue with my 'from scratch' project. Will also look up the recommended supplier. AND I AM INTRIGUED by the polyester suggestion. Tycho, can you elaborate?