Benelli Kite?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mattnshilp

Benelli Kite?

Post by Mattnshilp »

I have been reading about the Benelli Kite Junior on this site going all the way back to 2005.

It looks to be an excellent under $1k alternative to the big boys (so to speak).

I was curious if Benelli (Beretta?) has fixed the major issues that have been reported over time?
1) trigger axis screw, site screw loosening over time - typically fixed with a little locktite or clear nail polish.
2) mediocre fit-n-finish compared to the high dollar alternatives (subtle scratches and unfinished areas).
3) Occasional mis-fire. Apparantly the pistol fired for real when, or just after, dry-firing.
4) poor seals on delivery requiring repair.

I know that Steyr and Morini (maybe Pardini) are considered the holy grail. And money's not an issue. But I am not planning on competing and just want a really nice Junior sized pistol to enjoy. I want something accurate, comfortable, well balanced and reliable. I just don't want to spend more than I NEED to.

Oh, and I want something with a decent re-sale value so when I DO decide to upgrade I won't lose my shirt on it...

thanks!

other pistols I am considering:
Steyr LP2 compact
Morini 162EI short
Walther 300XT ultra

-Matt

PS - I am playing with a TwinMaster Top right now that I really like. I love the 8 round magazine.
David Levene

Re: Benelli Kite?

Post by David Levene »

Mattnshilp wrote:PS - I am playing with a TwinMaster Top right now that I really like. I love the 8 round magazine.
Remember that under ISSF (2009) rule 8.9 (8.16.0 in the 2001 & 2005 rules) you can only load an air pistol with one pellet for the slow-fire events.
Mattnshilp

Benneli Kite

Post by Mattnshilp »

Yup. Thanks.

The Top actually comes with 3 8 shot magazines and 1 single shot magazine. But even so, I don't really have any intention of competing any time soon. If I was hitting the competition scene I'd be looking strictly Steyr, Morini, Padrini.

I'm just looking for something fun and supremely accurate. I just don't want to spend more than I need to. But I want to buy good quality.

I read one comment that said that the Benelli was dissapointing for the $800.00 that it was a few years ago. I just wanted to make sure they had improved the quality since then...

Anyone buy one more recently who has some experience?
william

Post by william »

I have probably posted more information here re: the Benelli Kite than all others combined. The "major issues" are really very minor. Misfires would certainly be a concern, but I never experienced one in dozens of tins of pellets. The other things are really beyond trivial - a drop of nail polish on trigger screw threads before it gets loose is a reasonable precaution.

Long story short - I still believe the Kite to be the best value out there. Feel free to PM with specific questions.
CraigE

Kite is ok

Post by CraigE »

The Kite is a very acceptable pistol. Russ (Midwest Shooting Academy) used a Kite to compete in USAS Nationals...making to finals. M. Nuestrev has competed on international level at Cup matches with a Kite. It will serve the level of shooter behind the trigger. I have never shot one, but almost bought one. Only reason I didn't was that at the time, it only came with one cylinder. Don't know about that now. Has Nill grip from the factory...very nice. Certainly sufficient to make you happy. FWIW, CraigE
tenex

Post by tenex »

My friend is shooting a Kite, he likes it a lot. He also has a couple of Steyrs, but the last time I asked he didn't have a preference one over the other.

The only feature it doesn't have that might be nice (in my opinion) is the ability to rotate the grip, but if the grip is in a good position you don't really need that either.

Steve.
Mattnshilp

kite

Post by Mattnshilp »

I'm just confused. I don't have access to the one thing I need... A store or club that has ALL of them so I can put it in my hand and know...

Steyr LP2, Benelli Kite, Morini Short, Walther 300XT...

All good, all fit the bill. But I will certainly like one more than the others if I had all in my hand. I can say that although the Steyr 10 and 50 have incredible reputations, the LP2 is unheard of. No one owns one and no one has anything good or bad to say. Only that it doesn't have the recoil systems that the LP10 has. And that EVERYONE says that if you are going to buy an LP2, then just get the 10 instead. But they don't make a short 10...

Sigh. I guess I'll just have to bite the pellet and pick one. I'll probably start with the Kite and enjoy it for a while. Then I'll buy another and keep the one I like more.

Thanks guys. What I have learned is that the Kite is a viable option and one I should try.

Many thanks.

Now, anyone want to sell me their used Kite? :-)

-Matt
tenex

Post by tenex »

Hi Matt,
My friend with the Kite has an LP2, he likes it a lot (I believe about the same).

I think going to a match and trying a lot of different pistols is a bit over-rated, and I'll tell you why I think so: Most of the PCP airguns have similar weight and balance, and a trigger that can be adjusted in position and weight to suit most people. The grips on the other hand, will vary in size and shape and chances are that none will really fit you correctly (and that goes for the trigger setup as well).

I have something like 5 orthopedic grips across various guns, and out of the lot only one fits like it was made for my hand (and the other two from the same mfg weren't even close). The others took a lot of filing & putty to get right.

If you accept that you'll probably need to hack up your grip, then all the various pistols get a lot closer.

Just my $.02,
Steve.
superstring

Post by superstring »

Is the Kite grip as adjustable, in terms of the various axes of rotation, as the Steyr? THAT would be a big factor if I were faced with the same decision.
HAIREACANE

LP2

Post by HAIREACANE »

I Coach a 4-H BB Rifle, Sporter Air Rifle as well as as a Air Pistol team. We have two LP2's, 2 LP1's, 2 LP10's and 4 Morini's as I've shot all of them over the years. I've been very happy with the LP2's and so have the kids. While the LP10 is a heck of a gun I don't feel like my kids who are using the LP2 or the LP1 are at any disadvantage. We bought the LP2 because of the price compared to the LP10 and if we need more air pistols I would go with the LP2. I shoot a Morini with the electronic trigger but my personal favorite remains the LP1 but I can't get them away from the kids.

I also can't speak enough about the service we have received from the Pilkington's during the 12 years I've been coaching the 4-H kids. I'd like to try a Kite, FWB or a Pardini but I don't think you can go wrong with the Steyr's or the Morini's. I let my kids pick the gun that fits them best and they quickly become very attached to a certain gun.

David Haire
Tift County, Georiga 4-H
sbtzc

Post by sbtzc »

I have a regular size Kite and like it very much. The Nill grip felt so good in my hand, that I bought Nill grips for my .22 and .45. I have not modified the grip.

No, the grip on the Kite will not rotate or canter. It is in a fixed position.

The trigger is adjustable in nearly every way one can imagine, including a course and a fine second stage adjustment. It took a lot of experimentation, but I got my trigger to just barely have a difference between first and second stage with a very crisp let-off. I did this so that I would instantly know if I jerked the trigger - if I don't feel the difference between the first and second stage, I did not squeeze!

I have that same problem about a lack of guns to hold and/or try out. There just isn't that many 10M shooters around. I took a chance and bought my Kite used from a guy on this forum. It was like new. Maybe I just got lucky, but I really like my Kite and have had no problems with it.

I stepped up to the Kite from an IZH-46M. The "IZZY" is a very good gun and is very inexpensive when you can find someone with one in stock, but, like all guns, it has it's peculiarities. If found the front-heaviness of the IZZY to be a problem.

Just my 2¢; the Kite is very nice to fly.