U.S. Int'l Muzzle-Loading Team Now Recruiting

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Mike M.

U.S. Int'l Muzzle-Loading Team Now Recruiting

Post by Mike M. »

The title says it all. I'm Team Captain, and we're looking for some good shooters to go to distant, exotic lands; meet exciting, unusual people; and defeat them in international sporting competition.

No, it's not quite shooting a 1911, but it's not black magic, either. Our top pistol shooter is a guy I met at an air pistol match. Three years later, he won a medal at Worlds. Shooting is shooting, we can teach you the tricks of the trade.

Pistol events are:
Cominazzo - 25m smoothbore flintlock pistol
Kuchenreuter - 25m rifled percussion pistol
Colt - 25m percussion revolver
Tanzutsu - 25m matchlock pistol
Malson - 50m percussion revolver

This is a really good time to get started. The USA is hosting the Can-Am matches in Manassas, VA, in late July/early August. The Canadians are hosting the 2020 Can-Am shoot. We'll pick the team that will represent the USA for 2021 and 2022 in Germany and Argentina then. And 2024...the World Championships are coming to the USA.

PM me if you have questions or interest. Thanks.
Voskhod02

Re: U.S. Int'l Muzzle-Loading Team Now Recruiting

Post by Voskhod02 »

That's great, I didn't even know that official muzzle loader shooting competitions were a thing! Pardon my uncultured question as I'm not used to anything black powder-related, but are the guns accurate enough for the competitions to make sense? I thought that muzzle loaders were quite inaccurate, but that may well be related to the fact that most things I know about these guns come from decades-old books about 17th to 19th century conflicts.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

They can be very accurate. My original Remington M1863 revolver, made nearly 160 years ago, will put ten shots into a 25mm group at 25 meters. Single-shot pistols and target rifles will do better...the World Championship score in the offhand 50m target rifle event is a 100. And we use the Free Pistol target, so that's a pretty high standard.
David M

Post by David M »

Balls.....
1858 Hege Remington, .454 ball 20g FFF.
Shot in a 25m competition in Canberra earlier this month.
Attachments
BP 25m Canberra.jpg
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Nice! I managed to shoot a 100 in practice once. Highest competition score was a 98, shot in Colt at the 2013 Can-Am match.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

The competitive international muzzleloading scene is quite competitive and filled with good people. Many of the shooters compete in bullseye or ISSF events in addition Blackpowder events.

As a member of the Canadian Team, if anyone is interested learning more about the the CDN team please feel free to message me.

Brian
Last edited by Brian James on Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Yup. Brian and the rest of the Canadians are good folks. Which I can honestly say of the rest of the international black powder community.