First Awards at USA Shooting National Championships

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USA Shooting

First Awards at USA Shooting National Championships

Post by USA Shooting »

First Titles Awarded at USA Shooting National Championships for Rifle/Pistol
FORT BENNING, Georgia (June 27, 2017)
The USA Shooting National Championships for Rifle/Pistol rolled into its second day of competition with titles awarded in Men’s Three-Position Rifle, Women’s Air Rifle, Centerfire Pistol, Standard Pistol and Junior Men’s Sport Pistol at the home of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit (USAMU) in Fort Benning.

Athletes completed two days of Qualification matches, with competitors in the Olympic events (Women’s Air Rifle and Men’s Three-Position Rifle) also competing in a Finals match today. Points from the two Qualification matches, plus points earned based on rank in the Finals were combined to determine athletes’ final placements at these National Championships.

Image2016 Olympian Lucas Kozeniesky (Fairfax, Virginia, pictured) won the overall Men’s Three-Position Rifle title. He and eventual silver medalist George Norton (USAMU/Salina, Kansas) shot the same Qualification scores yesterday and today (1166, 1174). Kozeniesky placed two positions higher in the Final to claim the overall gold medal. Two-time Olympian Michael McPhail (USAMU/Darlington, Wisconsin) won the bronze medal.

Seventeen-year-old Peter Fiori (Lebanon, New Jersey) was the only Junior to qualify for the Open Final where he finished in fourth place. He would go on to claim the Junior gold medal and a National Junior Team slot as well. West Virginia collegiate shooter Will Anti (Fort Benning, Georgia) won the Junior silver medal and Ohio State’s Jacob Buchanan (Spring, Texas) won the Junior bronze.

ImageIn Women’s Air Rifle, Ole Miss Rebel Alison Weisz (Belgrade, Montana, pictured) shared the lead after Day One with an impressive 419.8. Though her score of 416.6 in today’s Qualification wasn’t the highest among the competitors, her win in the Final secured her first National Championship title and nomination to the National Team - .1 point ahead of Sagen Maddalena (Groveland California) who claimed silver. Emily Stith (Colorado Springs, Colorado) won bronze. Stith also own the Junior title. Elizabeth Marsh (Searcy, Arkansas) won Junior silver and TCU’s Catherine Miller (Lakeland, Tennessee) won Junior bronze.

Six-time Olympian Emil Milev (Temple Terrace, Florida) won the Men’s Standard Pistol competition in dominating fashion – winning the title by an astronomical 61 points. Kevin Bennett (Belmont, Massachusetts) won silver and William Dutton (Derry, New Hampshire) won bronze.

Tony Chung (Diamond Bar, California) won the Men’s Junior Sport Pistol title with a 16-point advantage over Bridge Shooting Club teammate Ryan Yi (Diamond Bar, California), who won silver. Mason Talbert (College Station, Texas) won bronze.

Gerry Sverdlin (Quincy, Massachusetts) won Men’s Centerfire Pistol.

A World Shooting Para Sport- (WSPS, formerly IPC Shooting) sanctioned match was held in conjunction with this year’s National Championship with nine countries participating. Three American athletes earned medals and nominations to the National Paralympic Team with their performances today.

In just her first international competition, 19-year-old Taylor Farmer (Castalia, Ohio) won silver in the R2 (Women’s 10m Air Rifle Standing SH1) event. Also winning silver was Kevin Nguyen (Columbus, Georgia), who claimed his medal in the R3 (Mixed 10m Air Rifle Prone SH1) event. Shaun Tichenor (Brainerd, Minnesota) won bronze in P3 (Mixed 25m Sport Pistol SH1).

Competition in the USA Shooting National Championships for Rifle/Pistol and WSPS-sanctioned match continues through Sunday. More than 350 athletes from across the country have descended on Fort Benning to compete for National Championship titles and appointments to the National, National Junior and National Paralympic Teams.

A complete schedule for this match can be found here: http://www.usashooting.org/library/Comp ... 7_RP_Natls
_Final_Schedule.pdf.

Complete results from the USA Shooting National Championships for Rifle/Pistol and WSPS-sanctioned match thus far can be found here: http://www.usashooting.org/library/Comp ... tart_List/
Copy_of_Tues_Wed_Start_List7.pdf.

View and download images from today’s competition here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskYbFBzD.
Rover

Re: First Awards at USA Shooting National Championships

Post by Rover »

So some of you guys think you can shoot.....

"Six-time Olympian Emil Milev (Temple Terrace, Florida) won the Men’s Standard Pistol competition in dominating fashion – winning the title by an astronomical 61 points."
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

I downloaded the Standard Pistol results.

I only count 22 competitors?

A rather dismal attendance; or, is this match an invitational only? I was unable to decipher the Match Bulletin regarding the maximum number of competitors.

Also, reviewing the scores reveals why the USA does not fare well in International competition...

Cheers,

Dave
mhkhung

Post by mhkhung »

It's not an olympics event.. There's probably no national team spot for it so no one wants to spend the time and money to shoot there, if they are not already shooting air or rapid.

Sadly, free pistol will have the same fate.

- M
fc60 wrote:Greetings,

I downloaded the Standard Pistol results.

I only count 22 competitors?

A rather dismal attendance; or, is this match an invitational only? I was unable to decipher the Match Bulletin regarding the maximum number of competitors.

Also, reviewing the scores reveals why the USA does not fare well in International competition...

Cheers,

Dave
hurt

Post by hurt »

I never seem able to find complete results? Where do I look? Thanks
USA Shooting

Post by USA Shooting »

hurt wrote:I never seem able to find complete results? Where do I look? Thanks
Go to http://www.usashooting.org/7-events/match-information

Go to this area

Rifle/Pistol National Championships - Ft. Benning, GA
June 25 - July 2, 2017
Match Program

Schedule (Updated 6/29 6:00 PM)

Start List - Thursday (Updated 6/29 5:50 PM) EXCEL PDF

6/30 50m SCHEDULE 9:00 am PET Relay 2 10:30 am MATCH RELAY 1 12:45 PM MATCH RELAY 2 3:30 FREE PISTOL PET

2017 Rifle/Pistol National Championships and WSPS - Results through Thursday EXCEL

Right there on that last line. The word EXCEL is a hyperlink to the results as of Thursday. It is updated every afternoon after all ranges have completed shooting.

Hope this helps.