PELLET TEST KITS FOR LOT TESTING

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

RED RAIDER

PELLET TEST KITS FOR LOT TESTING

Post by RED RAIDER »

Where can you order sample packs for several different lot#'s of pellets? The only source that I have found is 10pt9.com . Is there another company that does this? I don't want to have to ship the air rifle to someone for testing.
abinok

Re: PELLET TEST KITS FOR LOT TESTING

Post by abinok »

I used the already mentioned 10pt9. They included enough pellets that my test protocol was as follows...

1. 4, 5 shot groups on one target with each lot#. I set the sights to place poi in the yellow about a half an inch from the bull. This allowed me to simply rotate the target 90 degrees between groups. It also put all of the groups from a particular lot # together for easy comparison.

2. Select the best lots, and shoot 2, ten shot groups with each.

3. Ponder the results of testing for a month, then hop on the website to order your best lot#, and discover its already sold out.

4. Decide that theres no meaningful difference between your first 4 choices, and order the one in stock in sufficent quantities.

5. Mope about it until they arrive, confident that they will shoot, at best, mediocre.

6. When they arrive shoot a 20 shot target, and reevaluate.

7. Tape said target on top of your pellet tin so that the first time you're tempted to second guess the tool, you remember the only loose nut is the one behind the buttplate.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Finally a definitive response to that age old question.

Now stop messing with that shit and go practice.
RED RAIDER

Post by RED RAIDER »

Rover wrote:Finally a definitive response to that age old question.

I DON'T SEE WHERE I ASKED FOR YOUR WISEASS OPINION.
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

RED RAIDER wrote:I DON'T SEE WHERE I ASKED FOR YOUR WISEASS OPINION.
The post above gave the same opinion. To me the question boils down to:

"Are you really such a good shot and so competitive on the international stage that the pellets are what is endangering your score?"

Stick the barrel of your gun in a vice and shoot 10 shots. If you can't shoot at least that well by hand, how much do you expect to gain by chasing the "perfect" pellets?

Otherwise as a new shooter, I'd love to know why and when such extensive testing is required.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
RED RAIDER

Post by RED RAIDER »

SlartyBartFast wrote:
RED RAIDER wrote:I DON'T SEE WHERE I ASKED FOR YOUR WISEASS OPINION.
The post above gave the same opinion. To me the question boils down to:

"Are you really such a good shot and so competitive on the international stage that the pellets are what is endangering your score?"

Stick the barrel of your gun in a vice and shoot 10 shots. If you can't shoot at least that well by hand, how much do you expect to gain by chasing the "perfect" pellets?

Otherwise as a new shooter, I'd love to know why and when such extensive testing is required.

Pellets are a piece to the puzzle. And through my testing I have found that some rifles prefer some pellets over others. Working on technique and mental game is an every day affair. They are both also a piece to the puzzle. I will never let lesser equipment or the wrong ammo be the reason for failure. There are plenty of other things that can and will go wrong on any given day. However, the original post asked a question that didn't require someones opinions as an answer.
Mtl_Biker

Post by Mtl_Biker »

RED RAIDER wrote:
Rover wrote:Finally a definitive response to that age old question.

I DON'T SEE WHERE I ASKED FOR YOUR WISEASS OPINION.
Wow!
AA S510 Xtra FAC Ultimate Sporter *CARBINE* .22
CZ200S "Green" .177
Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution Top
AA S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Weihrauch HW50S .22
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

RED RAIDER wrote:Pellets are a piece to the puzzle.
My question is how big a piece. And is that piece big enough to be relevant unless you're nearing perfection.
RED RAIDER wrote:And through my testing I have found that some rifles prefer some pellets over others.
I think what's missing is an objective definition of how define a guns "preference" of pellets.
RED RAIDER wrote:I will never let lesser equipment or the wrong ammo be the reason for failure.
Again, how do we define "failure". In my limited experience, I've put heavy pellets in a pistol that actually couldn't get them out the end of the barrel. But that's not a lot# issue. That's a brand and type issue.

I've read about different head sizes. I just searched for pellet matching and this seems to be the issue to test for. Again, that's not to the level of lot matching.

But looking at test cards, it seems you'd have to be a machine rest scoring record breaking numbers to worry about the difference of on lot to another.
RED RAIDER wrote:However, the original post asked a question that didn't require someones opinions as an answer.
Sorry, but seems to me a post in a discussion forum tends to generate discussion. And not always in the direction the original poster desires.

And I'm genuinely interested in the reasoning and requirements.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Hmmm....

We agree ROVER can be over-the-top, at times. However, we also believe that multiple decades of experience in the shooting sports produces wisdom that new shooters can benefit from, if they choose to do so.

Forums can be so anonymous. One wonders when reading many comments on them whether or not the comments are based on actual experience, book learnin (sic), or sumpin (sic) else...

For those of us who shoot daily, and train others to shoot daily, we can only say this: accept that which works for you, reject that which does not, and always remember that the best shot is the warrior who walks away alive after a gun fight, or wins the day at a competition.

Cheers!
m1963
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

The math says a 580 shooter will benifit more, much more, than a 599 shooter. Assuming we are shooting integer.

The 599 shooter is soo good that a pellet with a larger group will still be a ten. A 580 shooters error plus the pellot error will cause 9s, that would be 10s with a better pellot. Below 550 is probably a waste of time but i switch my shooters to quality pellots at about 500-25.

Pellet testing is part of the game and you wont win without it in rifle. In pistol it may not matter, but it costs little time and little money, so why not?

To answer the question, ten.9 is only option to buy test packs that i know. One can also buy full tins to test, and use leftovers for training. Pellot testing seems to be available at most big matches
Chia

Post by Chia »

You know all this lovely argument is great but could someone please answer OP's original question? I would if I had any idea but I don't.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

Perhaps the point of the previous post (and the posts of many others wiser than us) has been missed. Test lots for AP are, irrelevant, and within the margin of human error:

http://www.usashooting.org/library/Inst ... e_2008.pdf

http://pagewww.pilkguns.com/ehindx.shtml

However, please feel free to reinvent the wheel,...
Last edited by m1963 on Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinkunkle

Post by kevinkunkle »

Podiumpellets for JSB.
Chia

Post by Chia »

No, the previous point has not been lost, at least not on me: pellet lot selection is useless. That's a pretty well-known fact here. I'm well aware of it. So is the OP:
RED RAIDER wrote:Pellets are a piece to the puzzle. And through my testing I have found that some rifles prefer some pellets over others. Working on technique and mental game is an every day affair. They are both also a piece to the puzzle. I will never let lesser equipment or the wrong ammo be the reason for failure. There are plenty of other things that can and will go wrong on any given day. However, the original post asked a question that didn't require someones opinions as an answer.
OP may have a different opinion on the usefulness, but even assuming he's a completely new shooter, I see no harm and every benefit to providing the information requested. I saw someone in this thread say that each shooter should figure out what works for them. He thinks this'll help him. I say let him figure it out on his own whether or not it works.

Happy shooting, folks.
abinok

Post by abinok »

Does podium mail samples? Ive seen their services listed for shooters visiting Colorado springs, but not via mail. If so thats awesome!