Forget Petitions....

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

ChipEck

Re: Forget Petitions....

Post by ChipEck »

I still like petition, at least it shows thousands of people disliked it enough to take the time to complete a survey.

Chip
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

6string wrote:How many of the Olympic range facilities have remained intact, in use, and openly available to local/regional shooters after their respective games have ended?
Google "Abandoned Olympic facilities". Shooting isn't the only sport that comes and goes with the Olympics (or any International championship).
https://www.google.ca/search?q=Abandone ... BigB&dpr=1

The problem is that international championships are often one-off events. Never to return again. So, if the facilities that are built for them are too large for the local sports associations to maintain, having them built can severely hurt the local sports if they try to maintain the facilities.

Hence my posts in other threads about the London 2012 facilities. They were designed to be temporary and built using easily obtainable rental structure. The idea was only the event specific equipment and specially designed building envelope would need to be transported to the next event. It may not have worked in practice, but the thought was good.

IMO, all national and international sports federations need to concentrate on creating facilities that are large enough to support and be supported by local participants. Shooting sports should be easy to support over a large area. Bobsleigh, ski jump, track cycling, all require huge investments in single facilities. So having a national team make all the athletes move and train in one place makes sense. But shooting can be supported by small ranges spread all over. So why, for example, should very large facilities be built for a competition such as the Toronto 2015 PanAm games and then be marketed as the training facility for Canada's shooters?

All that will happen IMO is that the facility will not get used enough and risks using up precious funds for a national team that could have been better spent.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

6string wrote:I've got a question:
How many of the Olympic range facilities have remained intact, in use, and openly available to local/regional shooters after their respective games have ended?
At least we still have Sydney (2000).
SlartyBartFast

Post by SlartyBartFast »

Spencer wrote:At least we still have Sydney (2000).
And Rio used a range that was already used by their national team and by the military.
- Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory
- FAS SP607
guidolastra

Post by guidolastra »

David Levene wrote:
Xman wrote: Qualified shooters attend the SOG in 2020. When firing is to commence for their event, shooters just turn around, pack up their equipment and leave.
When I first read this I grinned as I presumed that it was "tongue in cheek".

As I read on however I got the impression that you were being serious.

Do you really expect shooters who have dedicated many years of their lives to reaching the top, having reached a position to achieve their dreams, to just turn their backs on it at the last minute.
I do have the feeling that if nothing is done and shooters only protest in social media without taking any action, we will just attend to a slow death of our sport as we know it. It would seem that taking drastic action is going to be needed at some point. this unless people are OK with status quo and future directions from the ISSF trying to please the IOC, which ultimately will likely drop 50 meters events altogether. Many high, mid and low-level athletes and coaches have already commented how this will end up reflected in elimination of 50 m shooting venues, funding, etc...