Forget Petitions....

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Xman

Forget Petitions....

Post by Xman »

Militancy works better. And if does not..so what?

Qualified shooters attend the SOG in 2020. When firing is to commence for their event, shooters just turn around, pack up their equipment and leave.

Sure to get publicity...

Yeah, maybe China wont go along and a few 3rd world countries too, but the message would be clear.

So what if the shooter get banned from IOC events in the future as a result as it is a IOC event only.

Still eligible for WC and other event unless ISSF and its IOC quislings have no backbone at all which is usually the case.

Anyway WC and other events will be all that is left anyway after 2020 so no harm.

And probably the shooters are "old" and not "urbanized" enough" to reflected the ideals and goals of the IOC and the ISSF to keep shooting anyway.
David M

Post by David M »

New pathway for shooters.......
Olympics really is becoming the five ring circus.

"CHEERLEADING is set to become an Olympic sport.

So give me a ‘W’. Give me a ‘T’.

And, please ... give me an ‘F’.

For just when you thought Olympic officialdom could open its arms no wider — having already embraced surfing, skateboarding, even rock climbing for Tokyo 2020 — the IOC yesterday went and bestowed provisional recognition on cheerleaders.

So again: W-T-F.

For yes, yes, yes, we understand, internationally, cheerleading is far more than pompoms, popping cleavage and a pathway to the Miss Universe pageant."
Xman

Re: Forget Petitions....

Post by Xman »

I vote to enter the DALLAS COWBOY CHEERLEADERS!!
j-team

Post by j-team »

Xman wrote:Anyway WC and other events will be all that is left anyway after 2020 so no harm.
Errr.... World Cups only exist to feed the Olympics, for MQS and Quotas. If shooting goes from the Olympics so will World Cups go from the ISSF program. There will be no funding for National teams to attend and they will be a dead duck. The best you could hope for is a 2 year World Champs cycle instead of the current 4.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Xman wrote: Qualified shooters attend the SOG in 2020. When firing is to commence for their event, shooters just turn around, pack up their equipment and leave.
When I first read this I grinned as I presumed that it was "tongue in cheek".

As I read on however I got the impression that you were being serious.

Do you really expect shooters who have dedicated many years of their lives to reaching the top, having reached a position to achieve their dreams, to just turn their backs on it at the last minute.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

j-team wrote:
Xman wrote:Anyway WC and other events will be all that is left anyway after 2020 so no harm.
Errr.... World Cups only exist to feed the Olympics, for MQS and Quotas. If shooting goes from the Olympics so will World Cups go from the ISSF program. There will be no funding for National teams to attend and they will be a dead duck. The best you could hope for is a 2 year World Champs cycle instead of the current 4.
+1
slofyr

Re:

Post by slofyr »

David M wrote:....For just when you thought Olympic officialdom could open its arms no wider — having already embraced surfing, skateboarding, even rock climbing for Tokyo 2020 — the IOC yesterday went and bestowed provisional recognition on cheerleaders.

So again: W-T-F.
This was received yesterday. It's something the IOC should really consider...

Begin forwarded message:
Subject: New Olympic event to replace 50m shooting
Date: December 7, 2016 at 5:47:55 PM PST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVC4EXfPvZo
Xman

Post by Xman »

David Levene wrote:
Xman wrote: Qualified shooters attend the SOG in 2020. When firing is to commence for their event, shooters just turn around, pack up their equipment and leave.
When I first read this I grinned as I presumed that it was "tongue in cheek".

As I read on however I got the impression that you were being serious.

Do you really expect shooters who have dedicated many years of their lives to reaching the top, having reached a position to achieve their dreams, to just turn their backs on it at the last minute.
Dreams/events destined to be a footnote in history on old musty, yellowed pages or lost entirely on the web, never to be seen again unless a child or grandchild says..what did you do in the OG daddy/mommy, Grandma, Granddad. "Oh well I shot in an event they dropped as they saw it unfit to continue for political, social and or economic reasons." "But why did you not speak up?" the child replies..

When the IOC came for the prone shooters,
I remained silent;
I was not a prone shooter.

When they did away with 50m FP,
I remained silent;
I was not 50M FP shooter.

When they cut 3 position rifle,
I did not speak out;
I was not a 3 position shooter.

When they came for more pistol events,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a pistol shooter.

When they came for my event,
there was no one left to speak out.

It make a STRONG statement and takes GUTS to do
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Xman wrote:It make a STRONG statement and takes GUTS to do
It's so easy to ask others to take such serious action, and shows little understanding of the required mind-set and dedication that are requirements for those reaching the Olympics.
stuart

Post by stuart »

slofyr, Your clip made me laugh so much, thank you for posting
GunShy

Post by GunShy »

we shall cower in the bathhouses,
we shall run from the landing grounds,
we shall tremble in the fields and in the streets,
we shall grovel in the hills;
we will, in short, surrender.
Xman

Post by Xman »

David Levene wrote:
Xman wrote:It make a STRONG statement and takes GUTS to do
It's so easy to ask others to take such serious action, and shows little understanding of the required mind-set and dedication that are requirements for those reaching the Olympics.
I never said it would be an easy decision to do.

Oh and I know the required mind set and dedication. Am not a neophyte and a lookey lurker in the shooting sports and a not a wannabe either. Seoul was my intended goal. So I CAN appreciate the long term sacrifice required. The larger picture of shooting in the SOG are in peril. You cannot deny that fact however you slice it, spin it and staple it.

Yes I may be a bomb thrower, but I am in great company.

Its the pioneers that take the arrows. Those that leave the shooting line that they may be in solidarity with their fellow displaced shooters and events, will be revered by all those that might follow.

The WC events from today onward and the SOG in 2020 will be THE watershed events for the future of shooting in the OG and probably WC too (yeah thats right), in whatever format they are ALLOWED to be. There is a term .."That is mighty white of you" FYI NOT a racist term..look it up. This can be applied to the IOC..mighty white of them to allow us poor poor souls of the shooting world the honor of being in the SOG. How magnanimous of them. Let them eat cake!

Oh and for those that read my previous post and thought I made up the prose. Let me post the origin. Many today fail to understand the past and will only relive it

It still does have meaning, even today in my intended application.

Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller (14 January 1892 – 6 March 1984)

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

-30-
Hemmers

Re:

Post by Hemmers »

David M wrote:"CHEERLEADING is set to become an Olympic sport.
No it isn't.

It has been recognised by the IOC. This is very different. There are lots of sports recognised by the IOC which do not feature at the OG. Chess is one, Bridge is another.

Given that Synchronised Swimming (an exclusively female sport) is also working out how the hell they're going to comply with Agenda 2020, I struggle to see Cheerleading squeezing itself in given how many men cheer...
nglitz

Post by nglitz »

David Levene wrote: Do you really expect shooters who have dedicated many years of their lives to reaching the top, having reached a position to achieve their dreams, to just turn their backs on it at the last minute.
If anything, it's the IOC turning their backs on the shooters.
Norm
in beautiful, gun friendly New Jersey
m1963

Post by m1963 »

The future of the shooting sports is in the hands of the shooters. Do we really need the IOC? Perhaps not. The question is how do we, as competitors and coaches, envision the future of the sport? Do we need the IOC? If not, how can we redesign the future of the sport to better meet the needs of our competitors, going forward?
6string

Post by 6string »

I've got a question:
How many of the Olympic range facilities have remained intact, in use, and openly available to local/regional shooters after their respective games have ended? If you're in the U.S., you may be aware that the Wolf Creek range facility remained open and operational for a brief while after the Atlanta games, only to be unceremoniously torn down. The particular reasons/excuses aren't important. What about other Olympic facilities?
It seems if the IOC and/or the ISSF were truly serious about the shooting sports they would contractually oblige the host cities/countries to maintain and run their ranges for the benefit of future potential athletes for some designated minimum number of years. Of course, such a policy would benefit only a certain percentage of participants, but at least it would be a positive and responsible measure in place of what is a wasteful and negative trend. It's unreasonable to assume individual shooters and coaches can be responsible for establishing facilities and building grassroots recruitment on their own.
I'm not trying to advocate any particular action, just raise, what I think, is an important point that seems to have been overlooked.

Respectfully,
Jim

(PS: I did not sign the petition. It is poorly worded, the grammar and punctuation are sub-grade school level, and the tone is needlessly antagonistic. It just reads as being impulsively thrown together.
Who would sign their name and provide their email and home address to such a document?)
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

6string wrote:It seems if the IOC and/or the ISSF were truly serious about the shooting sports they would contractually oblige the host cities/countries to maintain and run their ranges for the benefit of future potential athletes for some designated minimum number of years.
It's got absolutely nothing to do with the ISSF.

Presumably you would want the same long-term facilities for other sports. I wonder how many cities would be prepared to give up so much of their public space for so long. There's not exactly a long queue of cities prepared to bid for the Olympics.

Recommendation 2.2 of Agenda 2020 says "The IOC to consider as positive aspects for a bid: the maximum use of existing facilities and the use of temporary and demountable venues where no long-term venue legacy need exists or can be justified."
6string

Post by 6string »

Hmm, good point. I hadn't thought of it in terms of facility use for other events. Oh well!
Then again, more than one Olympic city has maintained things like their velodrome, and athletic residences have been known to be renovated as condos. So, it's not totally impractical or unreasonable to expect some repurposing or ongoing usage.

But, my original question still stands: How many former Olympic venues have maintained their range facilities?
TenMetrePeter

Post by TenMetrePeter »

I know of Tokyo from 1964, but it is not good enough for 2020 so more temporary buildings will be provided.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

Uh... Xman you want to "enter the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders"? Perhaps you would like to expand on that thought by adding a prepositional phrase.