Should I learn to shoot pistol or rifle?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

GaryN

Re: Should I learn to shoot pistol or rifle?

Post by GaryN »

TomAmlie wrote:It may be more gratifying to start with rifle. A lot of people, when they first start shooting pistol, can barely keep on the paper, much less in the black, which can be extremely discouraging. Starting with a dot makes it even worse, the way it jumps around. With a rifle, on the other hand, you're more likely to have at least a moderate sense of accomplishment earlier. You're more likely to stick with it, and develop confidence, trigger control, and sight alignment.

Using a scope or dot sight will just amplify the appearance of the movement, and make it that much harder to focus on the skills.

I started with 10m AR.
It was a disaster. I shot so BAD that I almost quit. I had trouble keeping it on the target paper, never mind inside the 1 ring.
Out of despiration I found a coach, who fixed me up so that my scores were decent, for a part time AR shooter. I was keeping most of my shots inside the black bull, and that was good enough for me.
I shoot the AR when I want a break from shooting AP.