getting back into air rifle

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

back again

getting back into air rifle

Post by back again »

I shot A LOT as a junior shooter and a bit after high school.
I've been out of the game for about five years, but miss it terribly. Life got in the way and before I knew it, five years went by.
I'm looking to get back into the game.

Here's a few questions -

I'm sure I'll need a new air cylinder. I have an Anschutz 2002 and the air cylinder is the original. I got the gun 14 years ago....(wow - makes me feel OLD!!!)

How long do pellets stay good? I have almost a whole sleeve of Vogel pellets that are still sealed - never opened. Should I just pitch them or are they still usable.
Those are about 5-6 years old now.

Anything else I need to do to get my gun practice ready?
dschaller

Re: getting back into air rifle

Post by dschaller »

Unless stored poorly, your cylinder should work fine. Most local matches don't check cylinder age. However, if you go to Winter Air or USA Shooting nationals, etc you will need a cylinder that is less than 10 years old. If the pellet tin is sealed, your pellets may be fine, I have some well over ten years old that look and work fine. Open one up and take a look at the pellets - if they look dull, they may have oxidized on the surface, and then you may or may not decide to use them. Only way to really know how they work is to test them in your gun.
back again

Post by back again »

The gun was just stored in my gun case (hard exterior with the foam insides) and was always in the house - never went to a storage unit or anything like that.

Thanks for the info!
rmca

Post by rmca »

Add a small dab of lub to the o-rings. Replace them if the gun leaks.