Homer Pearson

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

pilkguns
Site Admin

Homer Pearson

Post by pilkguns »

Well. I've lost another great one in my life.

COL Pearson to those who served, Homer to most as he dealt with his customers at Champions Choice, a business he founded with his son Chuck.

His decisions and ideas about precision shooting put in motion while I was still a tow headed kid shooting cap guns would later impact my life in untold ways as I became part of the military marksmanship units and that lead onward to my involvement with the Olympics. He was one the founders and first commander of the National Guard Marksmanship Training Unit that I would join some years after he retired but I dealt with him on several levels over the last 20 years as I started my own marksmanship related business.

Rest in peace Colonel
CraigB5940

Re: Homer Pearson

Post by CraigB5940 »

Very Sad to hear the news.

12 years ago I bought a CMP H&R M12 with no sights and no understanding of how target rifle accessories and sights were and were not interchangeable, etc. I called CC and Homer answered the phone and spent about 20 minutes getting me grounded on many different things about smallbore match rifles etc. Over the years I'd run a few questions by him before I made some specialized equipment purchases. He was a real gentlemen and a pleasure to deal with. I really think of that call as the first time I really entered the target shooting world.

I wish I met him in person, I have not made it to Camp Perry yet.
Craig B
Misny

Post by Misny »

His business has been a huge asset to the serious target shooting community and me personally. My deepest sympathy to his friends and family.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Sad news. I never met the Pearsons in person, but Champions Choice has been my go-to supplier for a lot of shooting equipment over the years. A good business...which speaks well for its founders.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Too bad. I remember buying my first match air pistol from him at Perry. The next year I bought my first Free pistol from his son.
NuJudge

Post by NuJudge »

If I'd done more of what he and his son suggested, I'd have been much better off.

CDD
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

He was always willing to talk and give his advise if asked.
Rest In Peace sir!
Tom-C

Post by Tom-C »

10 + years ago I coached NRA National Junior Smallbore Camp at Camp Perry. Homer's birthday was usually during that week. Russ Evans (the head Coach) would "arrange" for Homer to come over to the camp. Vicky would have a big cake and all the campers would sing happy birthday. Homer would always act surprised, but the campers did get great deals right after.

He will be missed, We are diminished.

Tom-C
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

Homer cared about shooters, and shooting as a way to enjoy life. He was a gracious giving man that shared our passion, and he will be missed. A true gentleman.
Jenady

Post by Jenady »

Sorry to hear this. I shot on the NGMTU for Col Pearson. He was a great leader.
gwsb

Post by gwsb »

What a great guy and huge loss to shooting.

Homer at Camp Perry one year agreed to trade me 2 new Anschutz starter rifles for my kids for an AR match rifle I was not using. He gave me the 2 Anschutz to take home on nothing more than a promise that I would send the AR to him when I got back home. Not many people would have done that.

He will be missed greatly.
Banjew

Post by Banjew »

My pistol shooting guru, Col. Lance DePlante (USA, ret) competed at Perry the same that Homer did and, the Colonels were quite close so, when I started shooting at the Nationals six years ago, I would always go into CC and send regards from Col. DePlante to Homer through his son Chuck. This became my little first day ritual and how I came to "know" Homer and the fine folks at Champions Choice.
This year when Chuck was not there on the first day of Pistol Week, I sensed something was wrong and soon found out I was right.
Rest easy, Col. Pearson; you will be missed and remembered.

Henry Sapoznik
Jim E

Post by Jim E »

Having been blessed to now have visited most of this planet, seems all people have these same basic feeling.

*** They generally feel their government is under performing.

*** Their family, above all else, is the most important thing in their lives.

*** And they would like their life to have some meaning.

This tread meets the 3rd category and a nice tribute to someone who touched lots of live and had a meaning influence on many others.

Thanks Scott for staring this off.