Spotting scope placement

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

mcralph

Spotting scope placement

Post by mcralph »

How many, if any, of you right handers put the spotting scope on your right for prone matches?
It seems easier to hold position with this placement.
Tim S

Re: Spotting scope placement

Post by Tim S »

I've never seen anyone do this. Primarily the rifle will get in the way unless the scope has an exceptionally long eye relief, and the 'scope would get in the way when loading. Secondly I don't want to make my aiming eye do any more work than necessary.

Placing an electronic target monitor on the right hand side is a different kettle of fish.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

I've seen a lot of highpower shooters do this. Don't know how applicable that is to smallbore, though.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Only ever saw one good prone shooter do this, Richard Hanson from Florida. He used a scope with a 90 degree angled eyepiece. Had to completely take his face off the stock after each shot. With a 45 degree eyepiece with good eye relief and proper placement of the scope on the left side you can almost shoot without moving your head at all between shots.
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

It was common forty odd years ago especially when using "straight through" scopes. It would seem really strange to do it now especially with what we know about our eyes.
Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible »

mcralph wrote:How many, if any, of you right handers put the spotting scope on your right for prone matches?
It seems easier to hold position with this placement.
I agree with the others, it's bad for the aiming eye to go back and forth between scope and sights. It actually messes up my vision pretty quickly. With a little practice (mark your scope rod if you have to) and a 45 deg eyepiece you can set-up so you just glance over with your eyes, no head movement to see through the spotting scope. I just glance downward and I can see the target/mirage and make my decisions. I once got it positioned so that I didn't even have to move my eyes but the extra light coming into my non-aiming eye was too distracting and who knows how the other pupil will react. It's like anything else with shooting, it take practice to get good at it!

Justin Tracy