ISSF Rule Interpretations

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

David Levene

ISSF Rule Interpretations

Post by David Levene »

The May 2016 Rule Interpretations & Guidlines were posted on the ISSF website yesterday.
hundert

Re: ISSF Rule Interpretations

Post by hundert »

cool,
now I can shoot during shoot offs too! :D
free practice shot
SamEEE

Post by SamEEE »

If I wanted to listen to music I would listen to the radio. :-|
Image Image
j-team

Post by j-team »

hundert wrote:cool,
free practice shot
Well, if you think having an official rush over and tap you on the shoulder is going to help your performance, go right ahead.
FabioRifleRio

Post by FabioRifleRio »

"Weights on Rifles (Rules 7.4.2.6 and 7.4.5 c). These rules describe how
and where weights may be attached to rifles. When weights are attached to
rifles, they must be permanently attached. Weights may not be taped to rifles. "

What this means?

The usual car wheel balance lead, widely used by rifle shooters and fixed with double-face tapes are now forbidden? Or it only means weights attached with plastic tapes like photo below?

An industry pressure to force the use of his accessories only?
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Now we are going to need an interpretation of the interpretation - i.e.; What does "permanently attached" mean? The only truly permanent weight would be something that is incorporated as part of the structure of the gun, such as being cast or molded inside the stock when it is manufactured.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

j-team wrote:
free practice shot
Well, if you think having an official rush over and tap you on the shoulder is going to help your performance, go right ahead.
If you are looking for a "practice shot" in the final -- then a tap on the shoulder is what you expect ... if you can get away with it.
Why not a crossfire annulled in qual too?
Why not just make the rings bigger ... go to an NRA conventional target ... higher scores for everyone!
Hey ... why not benches with clamps that you can put your rifle in ... good news that way too, wait --- might not be as exciting --- scratch that idea.

Here's one SURE to gain more TV viewers ... ALL competitors MUST custom paint their rifles/pistols to attract the attention spectators and viewers ... Live, online voting will take place during the final, and before record shots begin, the winner of the "Dazzle My Gun" section of the competition will receive 1.5 before the record shots begin, 2nd place 1.0, and 3rd 0.5 points. Get the spectators involved! Get the ISSF "DMG" App at Google Playstore or the AppStore!
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

PaulB wrote:Now we are going to need an interpretation of the interpretation - i.e.; What does "permanently attached" mean? The only truly permanent weight would be something that is incorporated as part of the structure of the gun, such as being cast or molded inside the stock when it is manufactured.
Weights on the rail no longer allowed???
I'm guessing if you have them bolted down to the stock structure that would be fine .... this really is getting disgusting ... To gain 10 more TV viewers, they are willing to have 300 competitors in the sport lose interest.
FabioRifleRio

Post by FabioRifleRio »

I think it is only related to "weird" external taped weights.

The ISSF text "permanetly attached" is unfortunately written.

The special designed weights, attached with screws are ok.

My doubt is about weights attached with double-face "hidden" tapes between rifle and weight itself.
dakota308

Post by dakota308 »

Permanently attached? Attaching by screws is certainly not permanent. So I attached my weights permanently to my butt plate or cheekpiece, which I change for each position. Is that permanent? Why do they care about how the weight is attached now? Appearances? Do competition stickers count as weight? They are not weightless and are "taped on". Some of the rules, seem to lack logic on why there is a rule. You have a maximum weight rule that no rifle out of the box comes near, smallbore at least. Most air rifles have less room under the max weight. With wood stocks we would add fishing sinkers in cutouts inside the wood and glue them in place, to be permanent "not moving". But now with most everyone using modular aluminum stocks, what is permanent?
Love explaining these rules to my juniors, without a good reason on why the rule exists. Can't wait to see what USA Shooting interpretation is?
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

jhmartin wrote:
PaulB wrote:Now we are going to need an interpretation of the interpretation - i.e.; What does "permanently attached" mean? The only truly permanent weight would be something that is incorporated as part of the structure of the gun, such as being cast or molded inside the stock when it is manufactured.
Weights on the rail no longer allowed???
I'm guessing if you have them bolted down to the stock structure that would be fine .... this really is getting disgusting ... To gain 10 more TV viewers, they are willing to have 300 competitors in the sport lose interest.
Held in place by set screws or thumb screws is less "permanent" than stuck on with double sided tape.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

dakota308 wrote:Permanently attached? Attaching by screws is certainly not permanent. So I attached my weights permanently to my butt plate or cheekpiece, which I change for each position. Is that permanent? Why do they care about how the weight is attached now? Appearances? Do competition stickers count as weight? They are not weightless and are "taped on". Some of the rules, seem to lack logic on why there is a rule. You have a maximum weight rule that no rifle out of the box comes near, smallbore at least. Most air rifles have less room under the max weight. With wood stocks we would add fishing sinkers in cutouts inside the wood and glue them in place, to be permanent "not moving". But now with most everyone using modular aluminum stocks, what is permanent?
Love explaining these rules to my juniors, without a good reason on why the rule exists. Can't wait to see what USA Shooting interpretation is?
USA Shooting (and I'm guessing just about every other Federation) is going to ignore this rule, as well as the 130mm rule.
Only making it MORE difficult to move the junior shooters on up.

Good people at NCAA Rifle pushed hard for years to get them to "officially" adopt the ISSF rules with a short "Modification Document". That doc is getting bigger all the time and will so not even be close to the ISSF rules in a few years.

ISSF is not just biting the hand(s) that feed them, but discarding the young.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

As with all governing agencies, the administrators (aka MASTERS, KINGS, RULERS) continue to expand their influence. Common sense is not permitted. There must be a rule for every conceivable (or even inconceivable) circumstance. Everything not expressly required is automatically forbidden. It's all about control, not fair and equal competition. See also federal, state, and local government in most every country, especially the USA. So sad!!

Dennis
Palmdale, CA
j-team

Post by j-team »

jhmartin wrote:
j-team wrote:
free practice shot
If you are looking for a "practice shot" in the final -- then a tap on the shoulder is what you expect ... if you can get away with it.
Ummm... If you continue on with your "free" patctise shot after being tapped on the shoulder, you will be DSQ. That'll work!
David M

Post by David M »

"2016 ISSF RULE INTERPRETATIONS AND GUIDELINES
Music During Competitions.
This decision also provides for playing music during Qualification
competitions "

I wonder if the playlist includes the 1812 Overture.......
j-team

Post by j-team »

David M wrote:I wonder if the playlist includes the 1812 Overture.......
Only a blackpowder shooter would think of that!
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Vidor: Toccata, from Symphony for Organ No. 5?

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=vid ... &FORM=VIRE
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Been emailing another member on this board.
My most recent "Carnac the Magnificent" prediction:

In the near future, they will mandate something like only a single sticker for the current competition can be placed on the gun ... on the side of the trigger hand, in a location such that when they zoom in on the face from the side, the sticker "advertising" ISSF & that competition is visible for all the fawning TV audience to see.

Ya think I'd make a good person on the ISSF rules committee??
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Avery Brundage, the IOC President from 1952-1972, is probably fighting to get out of his grave and beat some sense into the current IOC leadership.

From his Wikipedia page:

"As president, Brundage fought strongly for amateurism and against commercialization of the Olympic Games, even as these stands came to be seen as incongruous with the realities of modern sports."
Metookevin

Post by Metookevin »

With respect to weights ... Permanently = in a way that lasts or remains unchanged indefinitely;

Very little in the latest stocks are permanently attached. I don't see welding on weights will be popular.

Silly rules like this make a mockery of ISSF. They could make themselves useful by doing something more practical like standardising sight dovetails across all the suppliers but I guess that would be only of benefit to the shooters.