ISSF Music

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

97nick

ISSF Music

Post by 97nick »

Hi Folks, I watch the ISSF channel on you tube, (10m air pistol) the music is terrible! I dont enjoy watching it anymore. is pistol shooting not hard enough?
I emailed them:
I regularly watch the air pistol shooting on youtube, the music playing is quite frankly absurd. you are making my sport look like a joke.
just reading the comments on the channel should make you realize this.
Please stop it!

what do you folks think?
Rover

Re: ISSF Music

Post by Rover »

You're absolutely right!

They should be playing, "Who Stole the Kishka" polka.
hundert

Post by hundert »

lol, or nagila hava,

that'll instantly increase my spread 100 fold.
Andre

Post by Andre »

At the air pistol JO's recently during the final we shot with National Geographic music straight from a Planet Earth documentary. But only during sighters.
jerber

Post by jerber »

I totally agree
Hate the music!very annoying

I just put on ear plugs while watching
Owl

Post by Owl »

The music is supposed to juice things up, and I suppose it does get the kiddies' chemicals bouncing. To me, it's a ghastly, unwelcome, low-IQ distraction. It's there, I think, because obligatory music background is taught in the ripoff lessons paid for by dreamy eyed dainty videographers-to-be who say "film" and "craft".

When this thread gets long enough, send it to whoever runs the ISSF channel.

-Marty-
hundert

Post by hundert »

jerber wrote:I totally agree

ehm... you could just turn off the volume

Agree music is annoying. They should allow commentator talk while they shoot. Fast reaction of the commentator makes all the difference. A good example of a good final is the European Championship Men's 10m Air Pistol Finals
This video had no music, but a good commentator. The music would've totally killed everything.
gn303

Post by gn303 »

Try this at snooker!!!?
jerber

Post by jerber »

hundert wrote:
jerber wrote:I totally agree

ehm... you could just turn off the volume
Yes but then I can't hear what the commentator is saying
nick marshall

Post by nick marshall »

Don't get me started.

Music!
Infact crap music that you are made to listen too is a real wind up.
It has no place whatsoever in a shooting final.

But then what about the jokers with air horns and football rattles!

Slow handclap as well! What's that all about!?

I do however enjoy watching all the air gun finals on YouTube.
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

May I kindly remark, that all international top shooters LOVE to participate at the german Premier League matches with air rifle and air pistol. And there is by far more noise than during WC-finals. Most of the shooters say, that they are encouraged by the sound, that they use it to concentrate even more etc.

There is no real reason for music during finals, neither the media nor the spectators want it. But it has been introduced that way, according to the IOC recommendations, that sport disciplines should become "events". If the finalists really didn't like it, I'm sure they would take appropriate measures to talk with the ISSF to stop this.

So "it has no place in finals" is a valid opinion for us here, but noone will care about that. We could have quiet competitions without spectators again - after shooting is thrown out of the olympic program, and this would in many contries lead to a significant loss of money sponsoring from the government. Olympia is all that counts, who cares about World Champions?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Ulrich Eichstädt wrote:So "it has no place in finals" is a valid opinion for us here, but noone will care about that. We could have quiet competitions without spectators again - after shooting is thrown out of the olympic program, and this would in many contries lead to a significant loss of money sponsoring from the government. Olympia is all that counts, who cares about World Champions?
It's not just the loss of governmental money, in many countries the lack of Olympic recognition would put even grass-roots shooting at risk.

Lose too many countries and, as I'm sure you are aware Ulrich, the viability of R&D and even manufacturing facilities will be questionable.
gn303

Post by gn303 »

I can only agree with David Levene. Due to a crazy man who killed and wounded 3 persons in Antwerp, our gun laws have changed. If shooting had not been an Olympic Sport, the gun regulations in Belgium would have been more stringent than in Britain.

Regards,

Guy
Metookevin

Post by Metookevin »

The music in Rio WC was rubbish. On a different tack, what happened to previous commentator? I thought she was very good, better than new commentator on live stream/YouTube videos.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Metookevin wrote:The music in Rio WC was rubbish. On a different tack, what happened to previous commentator? I thought she was very good, better than new commentator on live stream/YouTube videos.
Hilary? She was hopless! I can only presume that she received a bonus for every time she used the phrase "on the highest step of the podium". Shak (sp?) is good.

Bring back Ralph Rodriguez!
hundert

Post by hundert »

What Ulrich forgot to mention is that the German so called Bundesliga looks like a monkey house, with spectators having nothing to look at start jumping around screaming. There are barely any videos of it on youtube because it's unwatchable. It's pure crap.

It's so popular, because the participation numbers are high. No other country has anything even remotely similar.

Bundesliga is where you have teams competing with other teams. I'm glad there's such a thing as Bundesliga, but I wouldn't want shooting to look anything like it on international level.

Yes, you have Nestruev, Costa, Korakaki, Ukrainians, basically many of those you know participate there, it's fun, to them, not to us watching it.

Spectators shouldn't be jumping around. Look at tennis. It's better to keep uneducated drinkers and the scum of society away from shooting sport. They have soccer all to themselves. Tennis is a good example.
97nick

Post by 97nick »

Owl wrote:The music is supposed to juice things up, and I suppose it does get the kiddies' chemicals bouncing. To me, it's a ghastly, unwelcome, low-IQ distraction. It's there, I think, because obligatory music background is taught in the ripoff lessons paid for by dreamy eyed dainty videographers-to-be who say "film" and "craft".

When this thread gets long enough, send it to whoever runs the ISSF channel.

-Marty-
totally agree, will do!
97nick

Post by 97nick »

Ulrich Eichstädt wrote:May I kindly remark, that all international top shooters LOVE to participate at the german Premier League matches with air rifle and air pistol. And there is by far more noise than during WC-finals. Most of the shooters say, that they are encouraged by the sound, that they use it to concentrate even more etc.

There is no real reason for music during finals, neither the media nor the spectators want it. But it has been introduced that way, according to the IOC recommendations, that sport disciplines should become "events". If the finalists really didn't like it, I'm sure they would take appropriate measures to talk with the ISSF to stop this.

So "it has no place in finals" is a valid opinion for us here, but none will care about that. We could have quiet competitions without spectators again - after shooting is thrown out of the Olympic program, and this would in many countries lead to a significant loss of money sponsoring from the government. Olympia is all that counts, who cares about World Champions?

I would agree with you if the music was a part of the event, but 1, it is like being put on hold music, 2, it is stopped every time the commentator has to say something! this dipping/stop starting makes it even more un-listenable to. will someone new to the sport watch it for the first time and say, wow that music really lifts the performance!
it does not make shooting an event, it makes it embarrassing.
Ulrich Eichstädt

Post by Ulrich Eichstädt »

To clearify it: I don't like the music, either. At World Cups in Germany there was only intro music "Hells Bells" (at least until last year, we will see in Munich next week, if it has changed), and no music during the comments. These were only during the sighters and then between the competition shots.

But like Groucho Marx stated: "I don't want to be member in a club, which accepts people like me". How many of you have participated already/recently in ISSF finals?
Albert T

Post by Albert T »

You put a thumb on a sore spot. That hurts Ulrich! :-)