Frozen trigger adj screws (FWB 65)

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

wasatch

Frozen trigger adj screws (FWB 65)

Post by wasatch »

Recently I bought an FWB 65 only to find the trigger adjustment screws are are frozen. I tried a drop of penetrating oil on them but no luck. They are flat head screws so I'm concerned about applying to much torque and blowing out the slot.

Any tips for getting the screws to rotate?

Thanks!
slofyr

Re: Frozen trigger adj screws (FWB 65)

Post by slofyr »

wasatch wrote:Recently I bought an FWB 65 only to find the trigger adjustment screws are are frozen.
Try Kroil. If an overnight soak with that doesn't free them, then possibly they have been secured with Loctite [!!]. Heating a screw with a soldering iron [which reaches about 450°F] should defeat resin thread lock. Shape the end of a pencil-tip iron to cover the screw head.
PFribley

Post by PFribley »

I would try heat also. You have a steel screw in alloy. Got a heat gun???
joel

Post by joel »

If the screw is indeed going into alloy, then you don't want to heat the screw, but rather the trigger block around the screw using a heat gun. Kroil is a good idea as well, but sounds like you've tried that. If it is a flat head screw, try using a hollow ground screw driver so that you get the most contact on the screw head. Definitely need to clean and re-lube after all that heat.

Good luck,

Joel
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

A good hollow ground screwdriver, as Joel said, and don't overdo it. Just torque it and hold the pressure. Torque is additive, so it will increase on the screw as you just hold it.
SMC

Post by SMC »

This may be a little late but it may help those who need it. A Junior that I was coaching (20 years ago) had a frozen trigger adjustment screw on an Izzy. My gunsmith placed the gun on a mat, supported the trigger from underneath so it wouldn't move or be torqued when the screw was pushed down. He was sitting at his workbench. He used a hollow ground screwdriver and pushed down with his chin while twisting the screwdriver. By maintaining serious down pressure with his chin he prevented the screwdriver blade from twisting out of the slot. I could see that it was a lot of effort to push down but the procedure worked.