Stripped Alan Head

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Pheyden

Re: Stripped Alan Head

Post by Pheyden »

If you are going to drill out the head of the allen bolt, this is best done on a vertical mill or at least a really good drill press. You want good control of both the workpiece as well as the drill. On a vertical mill you would simply use a 4-flute end mill, the same diameter, or marginally larger, as the head of the bolt. In either case, mill or drill press, use a very slow speed. Make sure the gun/barrel is well supported and clamped.
RED RAIDER

Post by RED RAIDER »

Thanks for all the advise. Man it was stuck. I used the dremel and cut a slot like advised. Wouldn't budge. So I got bawlsy and drilled it out. That sight riser is toast, but got it off with no damage to the gun.
Last edited by RED RAIDER on Fri May 06, 2016 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
kameljock

Post by kameljock »

Do not drill unless you are certain you have the equipment and skill to dill the vertical center. Leave that for the gunsmith. You may want to sacrifice one allen wrench and use JB weld to glue it into the remains of the screw head or find some industrial grade of loctite or other adhesive.

Clean both surfaces with a grease/oil cleaner remover to insure a solid bond.

Good luck
joel

Post by joel »

disregard, I saw you got it. Congrats!