Stripped Alan Head

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

RED RAIDER

Stripped Alan Head

Post by RED RAIDER »

What is the easiest way to get a stripped Alan head screw loose on the sights?
rbs

Re: Stripped Alan Head

Post by rbs »

EZ Out screw extractor, try Sears
Rover

Post by Rover »

EZ- Out and you may not even need to drill.
RED RAIDER

Post by RED RAIDER »

Thanks guys. I'll get an ezout.
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

You could also try hammering a slightly larger Torx bit into the stripped Allen headed screw.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
Pheyden

Post by Pheyden »

Further to wynne's comment, thus light tapping of the Torx bit into place will also help disturb the "bond" that is holding the Allen screw in place.

As a "last resort", you could find a VERY talented welder with a TIG welder and have him weld an ordinary hex bolt shaft to the head of the Allen screw. Then just back out the whole assembly. As I said, you need a talented TIG operator to do this.
beye

Post by beye »

Wynne G Oldman wrote:You could also try hammering a slightly larger Torx bit into the stripped Allen headed screw.
This has worked also for me nearly every time. Be sure to use a good quality bit.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

beye wrote:
Wynne G Oldman wrote:You could also try hammering a slightly larger Torx bit into the stripped Allen headed screw.
This has worked also for me nearly every time. Be sure to use a good quality bit.
This does work.
Also remember to use good quality Allen keys in the first place, and throw them out or grind them back when worn.

Now I think about it sometimes you can achieve the same trick by grinding back the Allen key nice and square and tapping that in.
Sometimes the bottom of the head is still OK as the tip of the key and the top of the head usually wear first.

Never use a ball-ended Allen key to undo a bolt - these are for spinning them out quickly once they've been loosened.
Teasing a broken-off ball out of an Allen head is not funny, sometimes they jam in just as they break and won't fall out, and the ball really chews up the head if it doesn't break.
RED RAIDER

Post by RED RAIDER »

Tried the easy out.all it did was wallow out the head. Now what do I do?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RED RAIDER wrote:Tried the easy out.all it did was wallow out the head. Now what do I do?
Unless I thought that thread-lock had been used I would be tempted to drill the head off.

As you are having to ask however, can I suggest taking it to a gunsmith.
RED RAIDER

Post by RED RAIDER »

no there is no thread lock on the screw.

here is what it looks like now.
Attachments
IMG_20160504_065832734.jpg
IMG_20160504_065832734.jpg (34.43 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
bandur60

Post by bandur60 »

A different approach that has worked for me two times is to use a left-hand-twist drill bit; must add that I didn't break it (the drill bit) either time.... knock on wood, for me.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"Tried the easy out.all it did was wallow out the head. Now what do I do?"

You DID use the drill first, didn't you?
joel

Post by joel »

I can't quite tell by your picture, but if there is room, you can cut a slot across it and use a flat blade screwdriver to remove it. Other things to consider are, was lactite used? If so, then apply heat first. Over torqued might benefit from using some Kroil and let set for a few minutes and then try again. You can also try drilling a hole through the sides of the head and then put a small rod through it and turn. Again, I can't quite see the screw so I'm not sure what would work. There's always the EDM (MDM) :)

Joel
RED RAIDER

Post by RED RAIDER »

What are the consequences of drilling out the whole screw?
cmj

Post by cmj »

Cant tell from the picture if any of the head is sticking up above the surface. I would use a dremel tool and cut a slot in the head and use a screwdriver to remove. If could get a small vice grip on it might also try that.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

RED RAIDER wrote:What are the consequences of drilling out the whole screw?
This is rarely possible, the drill wanders off the hard screw into the soft surrounding material.
Even if you can you're left with a coil of material in the thread, sometimes you can get it out.

Can you post pics from some other angles?
RED RAIDER

Post by RED RAIDER »

JamesH wrote:
RED RAIDER wrote:What are the consequences of drilling out the whole screw?
This is rarely possible, the drill wanders off the hard screw into the soft surrounding material.
Even if you can you're left with a coil of material in the thread, sometimes you can get it out.

Can you post pics from some other angles?
Here is a different angle of the pic.
Attachments
striped screw.jpg
striped screw.jpg (49.33 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
Wynne G Oldman

Post by Wynne G Oldman »

Another simple and effective way (not for the faint hearted) is to use either a chisel or a flat bladed screwdriver. First, hammer it into the edge of the screw that is accessible, so that it has purchase on it, then knock it round anti clockwise. Good luck.
Morini 162 EI
Anschutz 1913 Supermatch
rmca

Post by rmca »

That looks like a sight that's attached to a dovetail on the gun. Is that so?
If it is, usually on the other side of the screw there will be a "clamp", to which the screw threads on, in order to squeeze it against the dovetail and hold the sights in place.
If this is what you have, you can simply drill out the head of the screw, until it separates from the shaft. Then you can remove it quite easily. There's no tension on the clamp, so it falls. The shaft that is screwed to the clamp usually unscrews well by hand unless it has been locktited.
Had to do this once on a friend's rifle, as I coun'd get the screw out any other way. On a front sight riser.
Use a handheld screwdriver or a power drill at low speed. Stop once the head of the screw spins loose.

Hope this helps