Pellets for newbies....the three questions

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Rover

Pellets for newbies....the three questions

Post by Rover »

You see the "three questions" on here all the time. I thought I'd give the answer to all. Now you can have peace of mind.

1. What weight pellet should I use; heavy or light?

2. What diameter pellet should I use; 4.48, 4.49, 4.50, or other?

3. What brand pellet should I use; RWS, H&N, JSB, or other?

You'll be delighted to know that I have refined this all to a simple answer that will perfectly accommodate their needs:

"Yes!"
redschietti

Re: Pellets for newbies....the three questions

Post by redschietti »

Thats wrong dog! The only answer if they want to be good is 20,000!!

rmca

Post by rmca »

Rover wrote:You see the "three questions" on here all the time. I thought I'd give the answer to all. Now you can have peace of mind.
1. What weight pellet should I use; heavy or light?
Only testing will tell. Don't worry about it until you reach a solid 95% of the score.
Usually it's light for pistol and heavy for rifle. YMMV
Rover wrote:2. What diameter pellet should I use; 4.48, 4.49, 4.50, or other?
Only testing will tell. Don't worry about it until you reach a solid 95% of the score.
Rover wrote:3. What brand pellet should I use; RWS, H&N, JSB, or other?
As long as they are "decent" they will group well.

Or to sum it up in a word
Rover wrote:Yes!
Hope this helps
jerber

Post by jerber »

I think Rover is drinking again
redschietti

Post by redschietti »

Naw, rovers right. Buy 20,000 pellets and when they are gone you might, might be good enough to need pellet testing. Even in air rifle any name brand holds the ten ring and most, if not all hold the X ring.
Andre

Post by Andre »

I agree that lot testing is a bit extreme for the average shooter, but weight and head size really have an effect on my guns. All mine (Lp10 long, early FWB 700, and a challenger) like 4.49 R10's. None of them including the pistol shoot light pistol pellets well.
slofyr

Post by slofyr »

redschietti wrote:Buy 20,000 pellets and when they are gone you might, might be good enough....
Last edited by slofyr on Sun May 01, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Yes, Andre, yes!

And Jerber, "In vino veritas."
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

For mere mortals a pellet test is worthwhile if for no other reason than to see that the cheap pellets from a good brand (like RWS Basic) group well enough.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Rover's "Yes, Yes, Yes." answer is more than salient or theatrical, it is historically based.

Aleksey Gushchin was the Olympic free pistol champion. Junior shooters would come up to him, and asked him, "Should I hold the grip firmly?" He would say, "Yes, Yes, hold it firmly." Another junior shooter would come up to ask him, "Should I hold he grip loosely?" He would say to him, "Yes, Yes, hold it loosely." So, to whom is this Olympic champion lying to?

Of course, the answer is none.

If the junior want to test pellets, let him test pellets. Please don't advise him not to. Please don't.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Yes there are differences, that's why there are so many choices..... Yes testing will find the best pellet to shoot. My 777 likes large diameter pellets better than smaller ones, I think.... I can't prove it because I don't have a test rig, but it looks that way, or maybe I had a streak when God let me feel better about my shooting when I happened to be shooting Vogel Oranges. Reality says that with the exception of diameter, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot what you shoot as long as they are a decent quality of manufacture and have minimal damage in the can from rattling about. I'm not good enough to climb the ladder of diminishing returns, so Ill buy pellets in tins, not boxes and let my Engineers mind fiddle with all the other stuff, like the near infinite adjustability of my P44 or the near infinite non-adjustability of my 777. We only have X amount of mental energy so with that in mind, please tell me what YOU find to be the best pellet after your exhaustive testing while I focus on hold, squeeze and follow through............