Does anyone shoot in Southern California?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Dr Doctor

Does anyone shoot in Southern California?

Post by Dr Doctor »

Hey all..

I have been having a headache over trying to find places to help me get started with olympic air rifle. I was wondering if anyone has any information on places that I can go to shoot. I would love to find a coach in my area that can help me... As I am completely new to the sport.

I've tried searching for ranges using ISSF, NRA, and WhereToShoot.org. But I can't find anything that has proper indoor 10m air rifle shooting facilities.

Can anyone give me insight? I would love to get into the sport and really progress. But I find that the amount of ranges/information out there in my area really prohibits me from doing so. I thought there would be a lot more information on stuff like this... considering it is an olympic event.

Thanks!
Rover

Re: Does anyone shoot in Southern California?

Post by Rover »

This is all I have, but it may give you a start.

http://califpistolmatches.com/
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

Dr Doctor wrote:Hey all..

I have been having a headache over trying to find places to help me get started with olympic air rifle. I was wondering if anyone has any information on places that I can go to shoot. I would love to find a coach in my area that can help me... As I am completely new to the sport.

I've tried searching for ranges using ISSF, NRA, and WhereToShoot.org. But I can't find anything that has proper indoor 10m air rifle shooting facilities.

Can anyone give me insight? I would love to get into the sport and really progress. But I find that the amount of ranges/information out there in my area really prohibits me from doing so. I thought there would be a lot more information on stuff like this... considering it is an olympic event.

Thanks!
Dr. Doctor - As far as proper 10m air rifle ranges in Southern California....they pretty much don't exist. I shoot smallbore at the Los Angeles Rifle and Revolver Club (larrclub.org) in South El Monte and while we primarily focus on smallbore rifle many of us shoot air rifle as well. We have coaches experienced in assisting you with air rifle shooting. And several of our juniors have competed in national level air rifle matches including the USA Shooting Junior Olympics.

We have a partnership with the Bridge Junior Shooting club in La Puente. It's very close to our range. In Kim runs that program and it is dedicated to 10m Air Pistol, but we go over there to shoot as we loan them our SIUS electronic target system.

If you have not already purchased an air rifle you can come to LAR&R and speak to some of the coaches. We occasionally have air rifles available for loaning out to club membesr or for purchase.

I don't know of any other clubs in the immediate area, but the best place to check is the club directory on USA Shooting's website.

And if you are also interested in smallbore, we are definitely the place to come to. David Higgins who just won the Olympic Trials in 50m rifle prone is a member of our club. He was just here two weeks ago training before heading out to Fort Benning for trials.

J.
Dr Doctor

Post by Dr Doctor »

ShootWithStyle wrote:
Dr Doctor wrote:Hey all..

Thanks!
Dr. Doctor - As far as proper 10m air rifle ranges in Southern California....they pretty much don't exist. I shoot smallbore at the Los Angeles Rifle and Revolver Club (larrclub.org) in South El Monte and while we primarily focus on smallbore rifle many of us shoot air rifle as well. We have coaches experienced in assisting you with air rifle shooting. And several of our juniors have competed in national level air rifle matches including the USA Shooting Junior Olympics.

We have a partnership with the Bridge Junior Shooting club in La Puente. It's very close to our range. In Kim runs that program and it is dedicated to 10m Air Pistol, but we go over there to shoot as we loan them our SIUS electronic target system.

If you have not already purchased an air rifle you can come to LAR&R and speak to some of the coaches. We occasionally have air rifles available for loaning out to club membesr or for purchase.

I don't know of any other clubs in the immediate area, but the best place to check is the club directory on USA Shooting's website.

And if you are also interested in smallbore, we are definitely the place to come to. David Higgins who just won the Olympic Trials in 50m rifle prone is a member of our club. He was just here two weeks ago training before heading out to Fort Benning for trials.

J.
Hey J!

I had actually emailed LAR&R on the contact information that is provided on the website... but sadly, I have still not heard back.. I sent that email on March 2nd.

I definitely want to check this place out because its highly recommended, but the email I sent seems to be sitting in an inbox somewhere. Maybe its an outdated address. The one I tried was larr.smallbore@gmail.com.

Hope to get more insight on LAR&R!
ShootWithStyle

Post by ShootWithStyle »

Dr. Doctor,

On behalf of the club let me offer our apologies as you have not gotten a reply.

I believe that email you sent your original inquiry to is not being used at the moment. A better email to use would be the one contacting our Junior Club.

Please check out JuniorShooters.com. This is the site for the development program at LAR&R Club.

There is a list of multiple emails for the coaches and staff.

http://www.juniorshooters.com/contacts/

J.
Dr Doctor

Post by Dr Doctor »

ShootWithStyle wrote:Dr. Doctor,

On behalf of the club let me offer our apologies as you have not gotten a reply.

I believe that email you sent your original inquiry to is not being used at the moment. A better email to use would be the one contacting our Junior Club.

Please check out JuniorShooters.com. This is the site for the development program at LAR&R Club.

There is a list of multiple emails for the coaches and staff.

http://www.juniorshooters.com/contacts/

J.
Thanks! I hope I can find someone to coach me in 10m air rifle. I know that I'm starting at an older age, but I'd love to learn the proper technique.

Mark