Cleaning

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

holmqer

Cleaning

Post by holmqer »

The other day, during a match of course, my Ruger Mark III began to badly malfunction. Once I got it home and started to take it apart, I discovered that the firing pin rebound spring was broken which prevented the firing pin from properly retracting. I called Ruger and they sent me a new one, but I decided to go a bit further and take out the trigger, hammer and sear assemblies which I had not done since installing a Volquartzen kit about 10000 shots ago. Once I had all these parts out, there was lots of carbon in hidden places on some of these moving parts. I cleaned all those parts and put it back together, and it works fine.

Normally I field strip every few hundred rounds and clean/lube everything exposed, but to avoid getting lube down in the trigger and hammer assemblies that will attract soot, I just dry brush the whole grip assembly and it always ends up looking clean. This is pretty much exactly what Ruger shows in their videos online.

I've never seen anything suggesting the level of disassembly and cleaning I ended up doing as a regular practice.

Should the extra level of disassembly and cleaning that I did this time be done as a standard practice every 5000 or 10000 shots or some other interval?